Epcot New Year's Eve madness (photos and wait times)

NX2I85

How far does a 4 hour line for Soarin' extend? I'm trying to get a mental image of that. Is it contained in the Land Pavilion?

MCC1

On my couch...in PJ's...waiting for the Disney announcement...and no line for bathrooms here! To those braving the parks, we are enjoying your posts!...we arrive Thursday for Marathon weekend...so they got a few days to clean out that mess from tonight!

NX2I85

On my couch...in PJ's...waiting for the Disney announcement...and no line for bathrooms here! To those braving the parks, we are enjoying your posts!...we arrive Thursday for Marathon weekend...so they got a few days to clean out that mess from tonight!

Sounds like my situation. Wife and I just finished baking cookies with the kids. Now we are sitting here munching cookies and milk, waiting for whatever the announcement is. Yeah, we know how to party. :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sounds like my situation. Wife and I just finished baking cookies with the kids. Now we are sitting here munching cookies and milk, waiting for whatever the announcement is. Yeah, we know how to party. :wave:

That's what we did. Had pizza, spaghetti, meatball sammiches and deserts with close family.

Now waiting for the announcement, lady gaga to come on so I can make my typical snyde remarks, curse the neighbors for their pyro addictions, then go to bed.

TOTGuy

I believe it winds through the seating area but I'm not sure. It's definitely inside the building. Four hours. Dang.

When I worked at Soarin' on New Year's Eve it got up to 300 minutes and we had to put the line outside backstage behind a planter wall. I sure hope everyone is being kind to those CMs!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
When I worked at Soarin' on New Year's Eve it got up to 300 minutes and we had to put the line outside backstage behind a planter wall. I sure hope everyone is being kind to those CMs!

I would not want to be a CM tonight. I assume they over staff for nights like tonight?

Club34

I'm sorry. I love Disney and have been to the world many times and will continue to do so as long as I can afford it but why in the frack would anyone subject themselves to this? I mean really? :shrug: In 2 weeks (which is when I usually go) I will lap all the rides until I get sick with little to no wait.

If someone says they don't want to take their kids out of school so they can go when its less crowded I will stab a kitten. One week of school will not significantly reduce your child's academic trajectory. Have them do the extra work before they go.

Wait. Now that I think about it, its these people going now that allow ME to have the park to myself later. Forget I said anything. :zipit:

Enjoy your stay!! :wave:

JimboJones123

Tried to add updates, but I couldn't connect to the data network because it was so busy.

8pm Sorin was 260.

7:45pm, the Test Track Fastpass was wrapped around the mini fountain splash play and 1/3 of the way to Mission Space.

Mission Space Orange was 160 at 7:45.

There were no parking guides in the lots beyond "turn into this section" at 6pm.

Lawns filled to the max with cars.

Lawns fill to the max with butts for fireworks.

Everybody was very pleasant despite it really being too crowded.

I apologize for the NYE hat that has to be fished out of the pond in front of the Odyssey.

I say we will never do it again, but I wouldn't believe myself.

ctpitw08

We went purely for the entertainment. Got to Epcot around 4pm and camped on the Italy bridge in shifts (grabbed some food and had a fantastic time.) watched both fireworks shows. The only line to wait in (for us) was for the bathrooms at the American Pavilion. We also smelled the stench, but it seemed to be the water drains that runs along side the pavilion are connected to the sewer line as the bathrooms themselves smelled fine. Getting out after the fireworks was also okay foot traffic moved at a steady speed. We could see Fantasy in the sky and they were actually in sync tonight, they were not last night (the lagoon mirror was early by several seconds) and the magic kingdom celebrated the new year first and on time by my cell phone whereas Epcot's was a minute or so behind!

The Duck

I'm sorry. I love Disney and have been to the world many times and will continue to do so as long as I can afford it but why in the frack would anyone subject themselves to this? I mean really? :shrug: In 2 weeks (which is when I usually go) I will lap all the rides until I get sick with little to no wait.

If someone says they don't want to take their kids out of school so they can go when its less crowded I will stab a kitten. One week of school will not significantly reduce your child's academic trajectory. Have them do the extra work before they go.

Wait. Now that I think about it, its these people going now that allow ME to have the park to myself later. Forget I said anything. :zipit:

Enjoy your stay!! :wave:

My sentiments exactly! It would be one thing if you lived locally and you had an AP. Then you could write off the day as a valuable learning experience. But if you lived 1,000 miles away and brought your family to WDW for your "Once in a Lifetime Trip", then you're pretty much screwed. I always make my trip in late Jan.-early Feb. and the crowds are always low. A few years ago, I rode Splash Mountain in my own personal log and when I got to the end, the CM asked if I wanted to go again. :king:

thelookingglass

Got to Epcot around 8 PM, parking lot was entirely used. Park was packed, but the atmosphere was great. A backstage bypass was open by behind Test Track and near Soarin' to cut to Future World from World Showcase. Fireworks were the same as they are every year, except they were late on the countdown which was annoying.

What really killed the night was that we literally, not exagurating in any way, spent nearly two hours just trying to leave the parking lot. We couldn't even move our car for 1 hour and 40 minutes of that time! There were no CMs directing traffic, nothing. We were just absolutely stuck. Whoever was in charge of traffic directing absolutely dropped the ball tonight. And no, there was no accident.

blm07

Getting out of the parking lot was terrible, it took nearly 2 hours from waiting for the tram to finally getting out of Disney property.

The bathrooms around America and Germany had huge lines. The temporary ones were "broke down" :shrug: maybe someone pulled the toilet handle too hard, and they had to evacuate the porta potties. Sadly, I doubt they got bathroom fastpasses.

The park wasn't as crowded as I thought it was though, I imagined wall to wall people, but I could get around WS in a kind of timely manner. There were still some spots to see the fireworks around the lagoon like 1 hour before they started. Didn't even bother to go on any rides.

raven

how do you wait in a 4 hour line

Go to Cedar Point in the summer. Most of their lines easily hit 4 hours.

I would not want to be a CM tonight. I assume they over staff for nights like tonight?

Yep. And it wasn't a pretty sight after everyone left. But inspite of the crowds (which didn't seem as crowded as previous years) it was a fairly easy night.

There were no CMs directing traffic, nothing. We were just absolutely stuck. Whoever was in charge of traffic directing absolutely dropped the ball tonight. And no, there was no accident.

CMs don't usually direct traffic at park closing. Usually guests figure out to follow the arrows on the pavement to the exit. But understand that the parking lot wasn't the problem, it was the back up on Epcot Center Drive causing the problem. So directing traffic wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Figment82

Sorry to hear about the parking lot situation afterwards. We bolted right after the show and made it to our room at Old Key West by 12:28. We were parked in the Wonder lot.

And I saw that NYE hat in the Odyssey lagoon. :)

All in all we had a really nice night. We had a 7pm dinner reservation at Tokyo Dining which they let us move up to 5:20. Wandered around the park a bit before camping out for fireworks. The 1 minute delay was slightly annoying (especially since the timing for FitS had been off the night before) but it wasn't a big deal for us. If Epcot didn't put on such a nice show, I'd be home asleep by 10:30. :)

Happy New Year!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom