Epcot New Year's Eve madness (photos and wait times)

JimboJones123

We watched from the Odyssey and darted out. We were out of the lot by 12:15.

The parking exit was going to be a disaster for anybody leaving after. Just too many cars.

Blaming Disney because of the exit crowds isn't really fair.

This is the same reason we hardly ever go to live sporting events. A two hour exit from parking really kills the experience.

So we sacrificed a WS view for an easy exit. Gotta pick and choose your battles.

JimboJones123

2011-12-31_19-09-55_776.jpg

Pixeldust

we arrived at Epcot at 3, after being turned away from MK. Parked way out in Wonder. We were able to snag dinner at Teppan Edo, which was very unexpected. Watched the fireworks from their deck. It's a little obstructed, but still good enough for us. REALLY enjoyed DJ Scooter at the fountain stage. the CM we interacted with all seemed really happy to be there, and were playful.

Bolted at 10 ish and headed to MK. Watched the fireworks from the backstage viewing area. great view, but would have enjoyed it more if they had dimmed the lights back there. DJ at MK was also very good.

took about an hour to get to a monorail, got out to the car effeciently.
All of the exits leaving the park were blocked to regular traffic. I felt really bad for folks who were trying to get to carribean beach but had to go to I4 and turn around. The bottleneck on Epcot Center drive was very noteworthy.

It was a learning experience, for sure. We were very entertained, and it was something we had always wanted to do, and we are glad we did it.

durangojim

Got to Epcot around 8 PM, parking lot was entirely used. Park was packed, but the atmosphere was great. A backstage bypass was open by behind Test Track and near Soarin' to cut to Future World from World Showcase. Fireworks were the same as they are every year, except they were late on the countdown which was annoying.

What really killed the night was that we literally, not exagurating in any way, spent nearly two hours just trying to leave the parking lot. We couldn't even move our car for 1 hour and 40 minutes of that time! There were no CMs directing traffic, nothing. We were just absolutely stuck. Whoever was in charge of traffic directing absolutely dropped the ball tonight. And no, there was no accident.

And that, my friend, is why we booked the beach club on nye when we were at epcot. Nothing better than walking back to your resort at the end of a great night.

Jakester

I went to Magic Kingdom for NYE, and it was CRAZY PACKED.
I was there from 7:50am - 2:10am, and traffic even that late was a madhouse.
But overall, enjoyed another new years at magic kingdom

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
And that, my friend, is why we booked the beach club on nye when we were at epcot. Nothing better than walking back to your resort at the end of a great night.

If and when I ever do NYE at Epcot (it's something I would like to try once, just to say I did it), I would absolutely stay at one of the Epcot resorts. A leisurely stroll back to the Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk seems like a much nicer end to the evening than sitting in the parking lot for 2 hours.

NemoRocks78

Seized
If and when I ever do NYE at Epcot (it's something I would like to try once, just to say I did it), I would absolutely stay at one of the Epcot resorts. A leisurely stroll back to the Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk seems like a much nicer end to the evening than sitting in the parking lot for 2 hours.
I will never do Epcot for NYE again without a stay at one of these resorts. I learned my lesson from NYE '07... the 2 1/2 hour ordeal to get out of the parking lot sealed the deal for me. :hammer: Sounds like that's still an issue, too. :dazzle:

DABIGCHEEZ

Since I didn't see this posted, I thought I might as well do it.
This is the thread for New Year's at EPCOT! Post any photos, or chat about New Years Eve celebrations at EPCOT!

Current wait times:

Soarin: 240 minutes
Malestrom: 65 minutes
Ellen's Energy Adventure: 25 minutes
Grand Fiesta Tour: 20 minutes
Captian EO: 10 minutes
Mission Space: 80 minutes
The Seas With Nemo and Friends: 60 minutes
Living With The Land: 30 minutes
Test Track: 115 minutes
Spaceship Earth: 60 minutes
Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment: 35 minutes

None of these rides are worth waiting in line for their respective times IMO.:eek: One possible exception is the Land... 30 minutes would be my limit though.

I would never be there this week anyway. :D

thelookingglass

The parking exit was going to be a disaster for anybody leaving after. Just too many cars.

Blaming Disney because of the exit crowds isn't really fair.
They need people to properly merge traffic to allow the other parking lots to get out. Yes, there was also heavy traffic on World Drive and whatnot, but people parked in Discover were able to get out with little fight. Some friends of mine were parked in Discover and left at the same time as us and got out of the parking lot almost instantly. We were in Imagine, which had the maximum amount of merge points ahead of it. They need traffic directors to properly merge traffic so some people aren't literally sitting in a gridlock for two hours just because the luck of the draw landed them in the worst possible lot.

On most days, even typical summer nights, you can zip right out of the Epcot and Magic Kingdom lots with no problem at all. When the entire lot is full, they need people directing traffic.

Minnie1976

Glad we came home on Dec. 27th, but I would love to have another trip planned to go back sooner than fall of 2013. I'm missing the World already. My son and daughter-in-law have a trip planned in February and I'm so jealous, but then they were jealous of us being there in Dec. HA! HA!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom