Epcot Monorail Being Evacuated

sweetpee_1993

Actually wait.... maybe there IS some merit to the "I thought I was going to die" thing....

Were there any tour groups on the monorail? :jawdrop:

Maybe that's what they meant!!!!

EDIT: Apparently guests were singing "Let It Go" to pass the time... that would've been enough for me to think I was gonna die... lol...
Or wish I was dead.

sweetpee_1993

any link? I cant find it lol.
No. So many people were going on their page laughing at them or telling them they were out of line for claiming to be "survivors" considering what that storm eventually did that it was made private or something. I'm not a FBer so I'm not sure what can be done to keep the page private. @Master Yoda from here got on it before it went all private do maybe he can help locate it or give additional info. At the time it was all quite the hullabaloo on another fan forum...quite humorous to us here.

lazyboy97o

Alright, Sir Isaac Newton. So how'd this happen then?

Mechanical failure that engaged a safety system intended to prevent a derailment (imagine that happening in a loop!). Outside of that sort of failure, it is pretty much impossible on a gravity coaster. A slightly greater chance exists on launch coasters like Rock 'N Rollercoaster because an underpowered launch could provide just enough energy to only get that far. With Rock 'N Rollercoaster I image the slightly more likely possibility would be a valley in the roll over between Inversions 1 and 2, with the front cars starting into Inversion 2 and the rear cars exiting Inversion 1. Once the train has cleared Inversion 2 it should be able to clear the rest of the course without incident (unless the mid-course breaks improperly interfere).

Mem11

You can't get stuck on a loop. Centrifical force makes sure you go either all the way it roll back down.;)

In this case, it was something like an axle on the train jamming. Roller coasters CAN get stuck upside down, but its very, very, very rare and has happened only a few times ever.

Yes, but one should never make an absolute statement, because they are usually absolutely wrong ;)

I'm sure these guys would agree...

I do like the Chinese's innovative solution - no fancy fire rescue for them, just pull the sucker down...

Tom

Beta Return
I'm still confused on the issue of no tractors being able to access the train. A tractor can get from shop to the Epcot beam just fine - it's just an inconvenience for Express.

If this train stopped on the switch they just recently added - the one dedicated to the tractor that parks along the Epcot line - that means the train was not blocking any of the switches that connect Epcot to Express. Those switches are nowhere near each other.

It can only block one or the other, not both. If it stopped on the spur switch, the Epcot tractor could come out. If it stopped on the new switch, the tractor could come from shop.

Unless I'm completely missing something.

Tom

Beta Return
As for dying on the monorail.....that would be my fate if they even hinted at having to climb out the roof hatch and walk on top of the monorail. No sir, not happening....unless the thing is one fire. Even then, it would be a toss up. Heights and I do not get along.

Besides, wheelchair bound guests can't be expected to exit that way, so I'd just take the door with them :)

lazyboy97o

Yes, but one should never make an absolute statement, because they are usually absolutely wrong ;)

I do like the Chinese's innovative solution - no fancy fire rescue for them, just pull the sucker down...

That is a launched coaster.

CDavid

I'm still confused on the issue of no tractors being able to access the train. A tractor can get from shop to the Epcot beam just fine - it's just an inconvenience for Express.

If this train stopped on the switch they just recently added - the one dedicated to the tractor that parks along the Epcot line - that means the train was not blocking any of the switches that connect Epcot to Express. Those switches are nowhere near each other.

It can only block one or the other, not both. If it stopped on the spur switch, the Epcot tractor could come out. If it stopped on the new switch, the tractor could come from shop.

Unless I'm completely missing something.

That's what I was thinking too, until @peachykeen pointed out, and I remembered, that the tow tractor switch and spur is actually located at the south end of the spur from the express beam to the Epcot beam, so any monorail train stopped at exactly that point would indeed block tractors from either location. Even before that switch was installed, tractors could also have been blocked by a train stuck on the switch to the shop spur near the Magic Kingdom.

If I recall correctly, Disneyland (at least) once had a similar problem with a disabled monorail stuck on the shop switch, and after evacuating the train, had to tow it off the switch from the ground.

stevehousse

Omg I was at the park the day that this happened! It was so scary to think that could happen! So much pandemonium at the park which actually was a good thing because literally every one tried to get up close (there r 2 main areas those loops can be seen from the park) and everyone flooded those areas leaving the rest of the park with barely any wait times. It is very rare, but I think it's every riders worst fear when riding a coaster! I couldn't imagine being stuck upside down for 2-4 hours!

An the main reason why they just couldn't "pull it down" was because of the axle and wheel part literally falling apart and broken. You can't push the train from anywhere on the coaster with something that broke, as derailment becomes an issue...the difference in what u saw was that the coaster car was still fine, it just needed a push to get going again, completely different.

Tom

Beta Return
That's what I was thinking too, until @peachykeen pointed out, and I remembered, that the tow tractor switch and spur is actually located at the south end of the spur from the express beam to the Epcot beam, so any monorail train stopped at exactly that point would indeed block tractors from either location. Even before that switch was installed, tractors could also have been blocked by a train stuck on the switch to the shop spur near the Magic Kingdom.

If I recall correctly, Disneyland (at least) once had a similar problem with a disabled monorail stuck on the shop switch, and after evacuating the train, had to tow it off the switch from the ground.

I just pulled up Google maps...... how 'bout that! I didn't realize they were one-in-the same, or that the new tractor was so close. That's definitely quite the predicament there.

Mem11

Launched coasters have a different source of energy that can be variable versus gravity coasters.

I agree, but I was responding to this post...

You can't get stuck on a loop. Centrifical force makes sure you go either all the way it roll back down.;)

Which was a response to this post...

My guess is it's probably one of the easier evacs.. Grab a ladder or a cherry picker. Maybe one of those slides from airplanes. Imagine if you got stuck on like Space Mountain or on the loop at Rock'n Rollercoaster?

Which is also a launch coaster... Anyway sorry for the thread drift.

Fantasmicguy

Well I stand corrected.

GrumpyFan

I just pulled up Google maps...... how 'bout that! I didn't realize they were one-in-the same, or that the new tractor was so close. That's definitely quite the predicament there.

I guess this means they will have to tow or at least move the stalled train from the ground in order to be able to get the tractor to tow it.

landauh

Just for background: I am an ex-Monorail pilot and one of the other tractors could be used. The issue in this case is time as the other trains would need to be moved in order for the tractor to get in position. Current policy is to get guests off the trains as soon as possible and then worry about moving the train. Also RCFD have specially designed trucks for evacuations instead of using cherry pickers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom