Epcot Monorail Being Evacuated

lazyboy97o

Just for background: I am an ex-Monorail pilot and one of the other tractors could be used. The issue in this case is time as the other trains would need to be moved in order for the tractor to get in position. Current policy is to get guests off the trains as soon as possible and then worry about moving the train. Also RCFD have specially designed trucks for evacuations instead of using cherry pickers.
How would one of the other tractors have been of use?

landauh

How would one of the other tractors have been of use?

Not 100% sure what you are asking but the tractor would be needed to tow the train back to the shop. That is unless they were able to get her running on her own.

If you are asking how the tractor would get to the train. They would bring it into the TTC on the express rail, switch to Epcot line and go all the way through Epcot and back to hook up. They would need to have the other Epcot trains transfer to the express rail (moving express trains to the shop to make room) before bringing the tractor out of the shop. Hence the time factor. It is possible just not easy.

lazyboy97o

Not 100% sure what you are asking but the tractor would be needed to tow the train back to the shop. That is unless they were able to get her running on her own.

If you are asking how the tractor would get to the train. They would bring it into the TTC on the express rail, switch to Epcot line and go all the way through Epcot and back to hook up. They would need to have the other Epcot trains transfer to the express rail (moving express trains to the shop to make room) before bringing the tractor out of the shop. Hence the time factor. It is possible just not easy.
I'm guessing then that you missed that the train that was evacuated was sitting on the switch the tractor and other trains would need to use.

CDavid

There is only one way to get from the express beam to the Epcot beam, however, and the disabled monorail was blocking that switch.

nace888

Well folks, it's been a while, but this may solve your questions!! :D This here is the reason nothing can be done. If it has, it's been pulled at a weird angle, or power's back up. In addition, Epcot had to have been down for nearly 2 hours... So any train would have had to find a way to drop guests at a station.

DO KEEP IN MIND, the picture is not completely to scale regarding the length of the train (probably about half the line longer) but it shows regardless.

Attachments

• Stranded Monorail2.jpg
    Stranded Monorail2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 201

eblaz37

To add for any who are curious: the Twitter user who originally posted about "dying" commented about how she received a Park Hopper for the inconvenience. She also goes on to mention that she missed her dinner reservation and was charged a $50 penalty as a result, and when she called to dispute, they didn't believe her? She claims she was working it out.
Link to that tweet: https://twitter.com/nnaaatttalliiie/status/488528083884834816

Facepalm

Man, some of you are easily pleased. What an adventure, a thrill, danger...no way!

Summer heat, probably crammed to the gills, looking around and seeing how high you are and not seeing any easy way off or down? Yeah, I think I would have panicked too.

Also, some people are only mildly claustrophobic or have a mild fear of heights, and would not have been triggered until such a situation arose.

Millionaire2K

CNN story full of people who had a good time:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/13/us/florida-disney-monorail-evacuated/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"I kind of wanted to go through the top, I thought it'd be fun,"
"I just kept saying this is the most exclusive ride, having to evacuate the monorail,"
"It was the single most exciting thing that's happened to us since we've been visiting in 30 years,"

And to touch on the coaster loop stopping thing real quick.

1. Any coaster can get stuck anywhere on the track if a mechanic failure or outside source cause the train to jam or derail. For example a hat or bag getting stuck between the rails and wheel. Or if an axel breaks and the train wedges off the track. Or a tree falls and stops the train.
2. I think the point trying to be made about coasters not being able to get stuck anywhere except the breaks was just pointing out that a "power failure" will not stop a coaster train like it did the mono. Again of course the train could stop in the loop.
3. Point being if the power goes out while the coaster is in the loop, the coaster will not stop in the loop. The coaster will run till the next break run. A rollercoaster needs an outside source to stop it if gravity does not.

Now back to our regular scheduled topic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No. So many people were going on their page laughing at them or telling them they were out of line for claiming to be "survivors" considering what that storm eventually did that it was made private or something. I'm not a FBer so I'm not sure what can be done to keep the page private. @Master Yoda from here got on it before it went all private do maybe he can help locate it or give additional info. At the time it was all quite the hullabaloo on another fan forum...quite humorous to us here.
Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/104089969753549/?fref=ts

The page is still somewhat active. The most comical thing was when the tone change from "We are victims" to "How can I use my 25% discount".

nace888

After thinking about it a moment, the only way I could think of them moving Red was with another train, unless power was regained. Wonder how long it sat there. Was still there at the report of 8pm I think.

peachykeen

Original Poster
After thinking about it a moment, the only way I could think of them moving Red was with another train, unless power was regained. Wonder how long it sat there. Was still there at the report of 8pm I think.

Towing a train with another train is technically possible (there are tow bars designed specifically for that), however I was told by the Shop manager that that option, after 2009, is basically the absolute worst-case scenario and probably wouldn't be done. A parking tram cab is capable of pulling the monorail, and they've tested that option so I would assume if this train couldn't be powered up, they would try that first.

However, what I assume was the case is that maintenance was/is able to fix the issue and restore power to the train, but they knew it would take a long time, and Ops wanted the Guests out of the hot train before that point, so they evacuated it rather than wait. Once power is/was restored, a pilot would be put into the cab with a cherry picker (jealous) and move the train off the switch and to a station.

nace888

Towing a train with another train is technically possible (there are tow bars designed specifically for that), however I was told by the Shop manager that that option, after 2009, is basically the absolute worst-case scenario and probably wouldn't be done. A parking tram cab is capable of pulling the monorail, and they've tested that option so I would assume if this train couldn't be powered up, they would try that first.

However, what I assume was the case is that maintenance was/is able to fix the issue and restore power to the train, but they knew it would take a long time, and Ops wanted the Guests out of the hot train before that point, so they evacuated it rather than wait. Once power is/was restored, a pilot would be put into the cab with a cherry picker (jealous) and move the train off the switch and to a station.

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! Cool!! So would they have used the Tram Cab on the ground pulling by rope? That's not always that easy, is it?

orky8

I'm still confused on the issue of no tractors being able to access the train. A tractor can get from shop to the Epcot beam just fine - it's just an inconvenience for Express.

If this train stopped on the switch they just recently added - the one dedicated to the tractor that parks along the Epcot line - that means the train was not blocking any of the switches that connect Epcot to Express. Those switches are nowhere near each other.

It can only block one or the other, not both. If it stopped on the spur switch, the Epcot tractor could come out. If it stopped on the new switch, the tractor could come from shop.

Unless I'm completely missing something.

Check it out on Google maps. It will be clear. There is essentially one spur into EPCOT. With the train stopped on the spur, it can't be moved at all, and hence no way to get the tractor onto the loop the monorail is on to help.

ETA: clearly I should have kept reading to see that you figured this out :)

ninjaprincesst

My concern is how did they evacuate the disabled people who were in wheelchairs and ECV's, it's not like they could climb through the roof, and they need their chairs, they couldn't just leave them behind.

nace888

My concern is how did they evacuate the disabled people who were in wheelchairs and ECV's, it's not like they could climb through the roof, and they need their chairs, they couldn't just leave them behind.

It was tweeted by the "OMG I'M GONNA DIE" girl that a few people went through the roof, when they got the doors opened to evac the rest of the people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom