Epcot Monorail Being Evacuated

mousehockey37

They weren't super clear on what was actually struck. Plus when people bring up the fact they they are going to DIE, I just assumed the train was struck.

This honestly is like the people who say they were going to die because of a great white shark that was ready to attack...

Then you watch the video... There's a line out, bait attached to attract the shark. It just swims around or better yet, eats the bait.... but fear not, it was gonna flop up on deck and go all Jaws on them...

I categorize this as one of those.... but don't worry, as we've been saying, the stories of cardiac arrest, unpleasant cramped conditions, and all sorts of other unruly, false statements will be forthcoming to try and get Disney to shell out a few hush bucks.

aladdin2007

It was just on local orlando news13, showing pics I believe of the top escape hatch opened up.....I would expect the other local news networks to follow come 11.

The only part about being on the monorails that kinda nervewracks me is the stretch between GrandFlo and MK, have stopped there several times over the years, I dont enjoy that high stretch when not moving lol.

Metilinos

I don't know if you're joking or not so I apologize for taking this too seriously but my roommate worked at Coaster and I'm pretty sure she told me once that if the ride ever had to be stopped and a limo was going through the loop, gravity (or something) would force the limo to complete the loop and stop at the bottom. Or something along those lines.

Huh. Well I guess it's good preventative measure. The six flags theme park over this way got stopped with a technical error and stopped just short of going upside down. Had to pull riders out at a 90 degree angle.

But that makes sense, disney seems to be up to bar with their standards so I can see that happening.

Edit: that being said I just realized you said gravity. There's no chance that there's no electric/electronic malfunction that causes it to brake mid loop or on the way up?

cw1982

They weren't super clear on what was actually struck. Plus when people bring up the fact they they are going to DIE, I just assumed the train was struck.

No offense, but people tend to overreact and claim they're about to die when anything unexpected that has even a remote possibility of being dangerous happens.

psherman42

Huh. Well I guess it's good preventative measure. The six flags theme park over this way got stopped with a technical error and stopped just short of going upside down. Had to pull riders out at a 90 degree angle.

But that makes sense, disney seems to be up to bar with their standards so I can see that happening.

Edit: that being said I just realized you said gravity. There's no chance that there's no electric/electronic malfunction that causes it to brake mid loop or on the way up?
I can't remember, honestly. Sorry. All I vaguely remember (this conversation was had about three years ago) is asking her that exact same question (What if a limo got stuck upside down) and she said that it wasn't possible.

Metilinos

No offense, but people tend to overreact and claim they're about to die when anything unexpected that has even a remote possibility of being dangerous happens.

None taken. By either of you.

I just generally assumed the cart was struck. Shame on me. But yeah people overreact, that's why it's absolutely ridiculous and in a sense humorous.

peachykeen

Original Poster

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the brakes on most coasters are a two part system.

The train itself has a, for lack of a better word, "fin" attached to the bottom. The second part of the system is, again lacking a better word, a "clamp" that is in the middle of the track itself.

To brake the coaster, the train has to be over a section of clamps to grab the fin underneath the train. Therefore, if there are no clamps in a section of track, there is nothing to grab the fin and "lock up." There wouldn't be clamps in the middle of a loop.

This is my rudimentary understanding of roller coaster brakes. Obviously, I'm more of a Monorail guy ;)

PhotoDave219

Clearly you have a better outlook on humanity. Instead, I think most people needed to pay more attention in basic science class and how lightning & electricity actually work.

I also have a dim outlook on social media hyperbole.

peachykeen

Original Poster
I am sitting here with my 17yo son, who just belted out that it would be too cool to get to walk on top of the monorail. I think I have to agree that it would be fun to get evac'd from the monorail.

Guess it would definitely be a trip to remember.

You can tell your son that it is indeed very cool to walk on top of the monorail :)

Metilinos

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the brakes on most coasters are a two part system.

The train itself has a, for lack of a better word, "fin" attached to the bottom. The second part of the system is, again lacking a better word, a "clamp" that is in the middle of the track itself.

To brake the coaster, the train has to be over a section of clamps to grab the fin underneath the train. Therefore, if there are no clamps in a section of track, there is nothing to grab the fin and "lock up." There wouldn't be clamps in the middle of a loop.

This is my rudimentary understanding of roller coaster brakes. Obviously, I'm more of a Monorail guy ;)

Thank God I'm no engineer or we'd all be dead :eek:

Have been rare cases of coasters stopping mid loop though, although like previously mentioned, it's very rare due to gravity. But hey the planets align every few thousand years (don't quote me on that number ;))

lazyboy97o

Rock 'n Roller Coaster is an off-the-shelf coaster purchased from Vekoma and Six Flags actually bought the same coaster for what was Six Flags Holland. There is nothing special about it. Roller coasters are not powered ride vehicles so, without a failure on the train itself, they continue to move until the next set of breaks, unless they somehow did not build up enough potential energy.

I can't remember, honestly. Sorry. All I vaguely remember is asking her that exact same question (What if the ride stopped and a limo was in the loop) and she said that it wasn't possible.
There is a very, very small possibility of it happening if the launch was, for some reason, underpowered (or a mechanical failure occurred on the train). The tightness of the inversions limits that small sweet spot where a well balanced train could be stopped in the middle. A slightly related example would be when Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka, which use a different type of launch system, have been stuck on the top of their top hats.

Metilinos

Clearly you have a better outlook on humanity. Instead, I think most people needed to pay more attention in basic science class and how lightning & electricity actually work.

I also have a dim outlook on social media hyperbole.

I give 'em some credit here and there. Article itself wasn't specific enough on where or how the ride lost power, just lightning and it stopped. You're probably right though.

Someone saw lightning in the distance and the cart stopped moving, then the barrage of tweets, and possible calls/texts to loved ones went out saying this is how it ends

FLmom

Not to say the twitter poster wasn't over reacting but I can assure you if my daughter was on the monorail when this happened she would for sure feel like she was about to die. This is her biggest fear being in the monorail stuck on the tracks and then if she had to be taken off via ladder or cherry picker or whatever they would have to sedate her there is no way she'd not be in full on panic attack mode. Guess what I'm getting at is that maybe to other people this seems cool or minor but to someone like my daughter who has a major fear they live with this might make them feel like they will die.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Not to say the twitter poster wasn't over reacting but I can assure you if my daughter was on the monorail when this happened she would for sure feel like she was about to die. This is her biggest fear being in the monorail stuck on the tracks and then if she had to be taken off via ladder or cherry picker or whatever they would have to sedate her there is no way she'd not be in full on panic attack mode. Guess what I'm getting at is that maybe to other people this seems cool or minor but to someone like my daughter who has a major fear they live with this might make them feel like they will die.

I can certainly see how it could be very stressful to many individuals, especially guests with a fear of heights, etc.

TP2000

"Some were evacuated through the emergency hatch on the roof of the train, and they had to walk across the train cars while secured to a safety line. Fire officials confirmed the monorail lost power due to a weather-related issue, and Disney was unable to restart the monorail so it had to be evacuated." Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/disney-world-monorail-evacuated-passengers-report-lightning-strike/26937720#ixzz37PJhI63I

Oh my goodness. I am a hearty soul who is usually up for some adventure, and I can understand that things happen sometimes, but I'm nearing the end of the line for doing this sort of thing physically. I can easily imagine how scary this must have been for some of those folks. There were likely a lot of upset parents on that monorail by the time it was all over.

Such a shame the Orlando weather plays havoc on WDW operations so often. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom