EPCOT Expansion Pads

SeaCastle

Original Poster
I'm looking at an older map from EPCOT, probably from 1987, as it includes the Living Seas but not Morocco or Norway. The map denotes a few future expansion pads. One of them is between UoE and Horizons, effectively making that Wonders of Life. Three other expansion pads were located to the west of JIYI, northwest of the United Kingdom, and west of the Candada Pavilion. Unfortunately, most of this area has been developed into the World ShowPlace pavilion and the Soarin' addition. However, one parcel of land marked "future" is located between The Living Seas and The Land. Currently it contains support structures for The Seas and some landscaping. What were the plans for this area? Are there any plans for this area, maybe the removal of World ShowPlace?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

vonpluto

I'm looking at an older map from EPCOT, probably from 1987, as it includes the Living Seas but not Morocco or Norway. The map denotes a few future expansion pads. One of them is between UoE and Horizons, effectively making that Wonders of Life. Three other expansion pads were located to the west of JIYI, northwest of the United Kingdom, and west of the Candada Pavilion. Unfortunately, most of this area has been developed into the World ShowPlace pavilion and the Soarin' addition. However, one parcel of land marked "future" is located between The Living Seas and The Land. Currently it contains support structures for The Seas and some landscaping. What were the plans for this area? Are there any plans for this area, maybe the removal of World ShowPlace?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

The original concept for what became MGM-Studios was a movie themed pavilion in Future World. It would have been between two of the existing FW pavilions. That is one possibility.:shrug:

NiarrNDisney

The original concept for what became MGM-Studios was a movie themed pavilion in Future World. It would have been between two of the existing FW pavilions. That is one possibility.:shrug:

The Movie Pavillion that was planned and later turned into what we know as Disney's Hollywood Studios, was originally going to be a version of the Great Movie Ride and was to be located between Imagination and the Land.

EPCOT Explorer

In FW...It's a bit harder too, but look how they wedged WoL in. It could be done on the other side, too.

In WS, there is a TON of room...I'll try to find the map.:)

EPCOT Explorer

Oh please do!

attachment.php

This is Martin's, I believe...:eek:

EPCOT Explorer

Ah, one day, in a future world, we"ll have a more complete World Showcase... I think 4 new pavilions would work well... 15 is a nice round number after all. :)

I agree. And then there is always the Mickey idea.:lol::lookaroun

Hopefully FW will get evened out too. WoL is reused and somehting goes in between TL and TLS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, it`s my composite. And here is the other half. The original 1982 expansion areas of Futureworld. Interestingly, the pad between Motion and Horizons was removed before the park opened. I guess it was deemed too small. Obviously Soarin' takes up one, Life another, and only the 1994 north west addition to Communicore was ever built.

I dare say we`ll never see the major north east expansion.

Attachments

• Futureworld expansion pads.jpg
    Futureworld expansion pads.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,057

EPCOT Explorer

Yep, it`s my composite. And here is the other half. The original 1982 expansion areas of Futureworld. Interestingly, the pad between Motion and Horizons was removed before the park opened. I guess it was deemed too small. Obviously Soarin' takes up one, Life another, and only the 1994 north west addition to Communicore was ever built.

I dare say we`ll never see the major north east expansion.

Thanks for letting me use it, Martin.:eek:

And I like the FW one! That's interesting....I wonder if they would ever use that Plot behind UoE! Would certainly be cool...and give FW more of a "Land" feeling akin to the rest of the Theme Parks. Honestly, although the Wheel layout is nice, it would be pretty cool to have that kind of setting while still having a wheel. Best of both worlds.

Jasonflz

Thanks for letting me use it, Martin.:eek:

And I like the FW one! That's interesting....I wonder if they would ever use that Plot behind UoE! Would certainly be cool...and give FW more of a "Land" feeling akin to the rest of the Theme Parks. Honestly, although the Wheel layout is nice, it would be pretty cool to have that kind of setting while still having a wheel. Best of both worlds.

I would doubt that. First off, the space is literally be right next to the parking lot, leaving little room and not a very pleasant view. Second, a pavilion should be located in a more visible area or people will walk right on by. The could extend the WOL building if they wanted an omnimover added on to that area though.

It could be possible though, that they could add something there specially for events and other little projects. Maybe even a Blue Sky type exhibit.

EPCOT Explorer

I would doubt that. First off, the space is literally be right next to the parking lot, leaving little room and not a very pleasant view. Second, a pavilion should be located in a more visible area or people will walk right on by. The could extend the WOL building if they wanted an omnimover added on to that area though.

It could be possible though, that they could add something there specially for events and other little projects. Maybe even a Blue Sky type exhibit.

Almost all of the perimeter of EPCOT is next to a road or a Parking lot.:lol: They do wonderful things with Berms these days.:lookaroun:lol:

The visibility issue is true, though. I'm thinking it would have to be big, or just be marketed very, very well. After all, it's the same concept in MK or any other park...Not everything is seen. Like I said, a "Future World Land":lol:

Jasonflz

Almost all of the perimeter of EPCOT is next to a road or a Parking lot.:lol: They do wonderful things with Berms these days.:lookaroun:lol:

The visibility issue is true, though. I'm thinking it would have to be big, or just be marketed very, very well. After all, it's the same concept in MK or any other park...Not everything is seen. Like I said, a "Future World Land":lol:

:lol: Then again they could camouflage it.

Jasonflz

Disney can do anything!:lol:

:lol: Sniffing Pixie dust, Evan?:lookaroun

I think the moral of the story here is that a new pavilion at Epcot (especially a replacement for WoL) would be most appreciated.

:dazzle: Agreed. Even a low bro park like Six Flags or Universal wouldn't leave a large space empty for people to walk right on by. Disney has a problem with using space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom