EPCOT Entertainment cuts

asianway

I find it quite interesting that Mr. Shawn Slater of the Disney Parks Blog posted this at 11am and not ONE comment? His delete button must be working overtime right now!
Honestly though what is his position with the company? I know he writes a lot about entertainment and associates himself with a lot of it but the offerings he touts really don't seem to last long or be all that beneficial to the guest experience: example, when people were clamoring for a Phineas and Ferb meet and greet he kept saying that it needed to be more than a meet and greet and they had that foolish thing with the director and DJ, those did not last long at all and it turned out to be just a M&G, also he was all over the villains unleashed event and we all saw how that turned out (as of now there are only 3 glowing reviews on the parks blog regarding that), and with all the cuts and changes going on right now I'm sure there's more that's escaping me. Is he someone with a lot of influence with Disney entertainment and if he is, are we sure he's the right person for the job?
Slater is the PR mouthpiece for entertainment, similar to the way Miller is for Merchandise. I could argue with the inflow of merchandise, Miller serves a function and generates revenue. He is also actually a nice guy who "gets it".

Slater promotes the slight changes and deck chair rotations related to entertainment. His position is not needed.

doctornick

OK, sense I was quick to jump on this with a negative view.....I will jump in here after the latest news about replacements and say.......I still hate it! I still think this changes the dynamics of the experience. I agree people complain that the parks are stale, but people also like familiarity. Its a fine line sure. TDO has to try and please everyone when they know they will probably please very few.

The one thing I will say is that it would be better to replace acts more periodically instead of wholesale changes at once. Swap out one act every 6 months in WS and you'd have something always "fresh" without the appearance of massive upheaval.

dupac

I'm just gonna admit my lack of knowledge. I've never actually seen Off Kilter so I've always assumed by their name that they were associated with the UK pavilion. Oops.

216bruce

I dont know whether this was mentioned, but TWDC 's fiscal year starts in oct, no? (Or is it sept?)
Plenty of comments that this is budget driven, but given the new fiscal year turnover - the timing is less odd and any doubts about it being a budget-minded cut should be dismissed.
Yep. Budget. Don't believe otherwise. If it was a "refresh" it would likely not be all at once, but the budget numbers have to be met- so there! Done! Refreshed (and under a skimpier budget). Willing to bet that the flag wavers and lumberjacks are working much cheaper than the other acts were. You can be pretty sure that MoR and OffK were making a decent buck. Also, I'll assume that these folks have gotten increases in pay over time and when you start a new band/act you can sure pay them less (until they want a raise and then the cycle continues).
Hey, could be worse- could be video screens. Oh, damn. if they read this it'll give them an idea....

rioriz

Even? One does not swap a canadian rock band for lumberjacks. One does not swap a north african rock band for a dance troupe. Once certainly does not swap a british cover band for Celtic music.

Not to go off on extended hyperbole, but this is like trading in a classic 67 Mustang (think Bullit) for a Kia Soul (think Hamsters)

Eh for me
Lumberjacks (possibly) > Off Kilter (never my fav)
Dance Troupe > Mo Rockin (only meh)
BR > Celtic

We all have different taste but honestly when it comes to these type of offerings I sometimes welcome change. Ten years from now when they get rid of the Lumberjack show some kid who is 5 now will be complaining that he loved that show growing up! With time comes change....of perspective

Also the Blog did mention more entertainment offerings to come... but this is TDO we are talking about

PhotoDave219

Different people like different things. At least superficially, this sounds like replacing commonplace entertainment (rock bands of which similar stuff can be seen almost anywhere) with more unique offerings that are in line with Epcot's theme.

Again, I have no idea what the quality of the new performers will be like, but I don't think they are worse just because they are different. I absolutely understand people being upset if something that they personally enjoy is going away.

And by unique, you mean cheaper, right?

mgf

At the risk of looking like someone that is trying to be negative....

How does Disney justify "recreational lumber-jacking" [insert joke] within its broader conservation efforts. (Also, what about the conflicting messages with the Living with the Land, the Circle of Life, Kali River Rapids, etc?)

How will they source the wood? There can't be that much stage ready, fallen timber on property. Will they have it trucked in? Will it be responsibly sourced? Will it be offset?

It just seems odd that a major corporation would make a transparently "un-green" "attraction". Sure rides use water, gas, and electricity, but those impacts are hidden/removed from the experience.

sunshine

One of my favorite things to do in Epcot is get a drink and listen to Off Kilter and British Invasion and wander around there. Love the upbeat, rocking (by Disney standards), live music - it gives the area a fun, party atmosphere and always feels special, especially as the sun sets.

I'm happy to give new acts a chance, but I won't be happy if they change the "vibe" of the area. I personally prefer the new British group to the previous group, so I think change can be good. But Disney's budget finagling is reallllly obvious these days, which does not inspire confidence.

I hope the new acts are up and running right away and there's no down-time for those of us who will be there right after the change.

Last edited:

DisUniversal

One of my favorite things to do in Epcot is get a drink and listen to Off Kilter and British Invasion and wander around there. Love the upbeat, rocking (by Disney standards), live music - it gives the area a fun, party atmosphere and always feels special, especially as the sun sets.

I'm happy to give new acts a chance, but I won't be happy if they change the "vibe" of the area. I personally prefer British Invasion to the previous group, so I think change can be good. But Disney's budget finagling is reallllly obvious these days, which does not inspire confidence.

I hope the new acts are up and running right away and there's no down-time for those of us who will be there right after the change.
It's been reported elsewhere that there will be eight weeks of downtime before the new acts begin.

71jason

Not for nothing, but did Off Kilter really represent Canada well? Kilts and bagpipes don't exactly scream Canada to me and I'm under the impression that most/all of the band members weren't Canadian.

They represented both the traditional roots of Canadian music, in the "rocked up" Celtic songs they would play, as well as celebrating popular modern Canadian songs, subtly exploring how one influenced the other. I realize that's a little more on the esoteric side than say, "Norway has snow--just like Frozen!", but EPCOT Center used to be for smart people. Not 6-year-old speshul snowflakes.

WildcatDen

I hope all those people who love the Magic Bands and think NextGen was well worth the money are feeling proud of themselves today.
Your post reminds me of the South Park Prius episode. Take a deep breath pal. You seem to like what the BrerJon is cooking. . .
If I was Pete Rose, I would bet the majority of people who like the Magic Bands and Next Gen do not feel it was worth the money. The two are thoughts should not be combined as one, perhaps?

71jason

Different people like different things. At least superficially, this sounds like replacing commonplace entertainment (rock bands of which similar stuff can be seen almost anywhere) with more unique offerings that are in line with Epcot's theme.

Have you never actually seen these acts? Because neither Mo'Rockin nor Off Kilter are dime a dozen rock bands, both were very unique attempts to put a modern spin on an old genre.

Singling out the good doctor here, but seriously taken aback by the number of people who POST ON A DISNEY FORUM but have never taken the time to see the atmospheric acts that make WDW more than a collection of rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom