Epcot Christmas tree failures - it's getting embarassing

EvilQueen-T

we were there from 12/5-12/9/09 and noticed the lack of lights at epcot compared to the year before. half the trees in the front of the park (where everyone gets their pics taken with the epcot ball in the background) were not working consistently. the lack of the arch/canopy of lights was REALLY disappointing and we left feeling like it could almost be any other time of year... not really christmas-like at all.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I do agree that the resort is falling to pieces in many ways. TDO needs to be fired and replaced by people who "get it."

As for unhappy CMs, this is usually related to situations like a previous poster described. After someone jumps over the bow of the castaways, I'm not a very happy person either. The difference is I have generally found a way to get over it and move on when things happen. A lot of CMs can't. A lot of the CMs are also CPs and as someone who has been a rep and done the CP 2x, I definitely believe these are related. CPs are treated like crap and as a result, many of them treat the guests like crap. I'm not justify the CPs, but I am also pointing out that Walt's idea was take care of ur cast who will take care of ur guests. The company doesn't care about that anymore and it rubs off on the guests.

I was in the park the night the tree was out and was wondering what was going on. It was out when I got to the park around 8:30 and was back on by 9:30

WildcatDen

considering that King's Island

:fork:

Hey. Don't throw King's Island under the bus. You are comparing apples and oranges. I do not go to KI with the same expectations as WDW. Of course, KI is not in my wallet like WDW either.

Considering a days worth of entertainment, and I would consider rides and attractions as entertainment, KI holds up quite well, and the counter service food is cheaper and much, much better to boot.

tirian

Okay, now let's be fair. WDW has its share of problems, but it's not the worst theme park in America, and it isn't going to die anytime soon.

I ignore the Sentinel posts because every Disney hater in Orlando seems to jump on there with exaggerated hatred.

But richiericher22, you obviously aren't comparing WDW with its old self, where the place was much more magical despite limited fireworks times (summers and special events only) and older technology.

It was simply managed better. The food, especially at Epcot and the Disney Village (DTD Marketplace), was showcased for its quality. Now it's a feeding trough extravaganza offering one steak, one chicken, and one fish option at each location. The merchandise was incredibly unique and desirable, and seemed worth the prices. Attractions worked correctly and were regularly updated. Seasonal events were part of a day's admission, not added as a hard-ticket money maker. Day parades changed every few years. By not trying to keep the parks crowded year-round, Disney was able to schedule necessary maintenance and refurbs.

Oh, and Christmas trees stayed lit, because decorations were usually updated annually instead of recycled for a decade. :rolleyes:

WDW1974

Okay, now let's be fair. WDW has its share of problems, but it's not the worst theme park in America, and it isn't going to die anytime soon.

I ignore the Sentinel posts because every Disney hater in Orlando seems to jump on there with exaggerated hatred.

But richiericher22, you obviously aren't comparing WDW with its old self, where the place was much more magical despite limited fireworks times (summers and special events only) and older technology.

It was simply managed better. The food, especially at Epcot and the Disney Village (DTD Marketplace), was showcased for its quality. Now it's a feeding trough extravaganza offering one steak, one chicken, and one fish option at each location. The merchandise was incredibly unique and desirable, and seemed worth the prices. Attractions worked correctly and were regularly updated. Seasonal events were part of a day's admission, not added as a hard-ticket money maker. Day parades changed every few years. By not trying to keep the parks crowded year-round, Disney was able to schedule necessary maintenance and refurbs.

Oh, and Christmas trees stayed lit, because decorations were usually updated annually instead of recycled for a decade. :rolleyes:

Great post. Obviously, I agree with it all.

It was embarrassing to see so many sections of the EPCOT tree, which seemed naked by itself, out.

And it does come down to money and Disney screwing (will that word hopefully appear? here ... if not, I might as well used f__________g:lol::D:eek: instead!) guests who don't realize it or care, right alongside those of us who do! Sorry to mods, just checking the bizarre word censoring program here!)

Anyway, I can't give Disney any breaks on this because simply put this kind of crap didn't use to happen ... and that was when technology wasn't this advanced. You never had monorails crashing into each other or ferrys smashing into docks ... you never had attractions or sections of parks losing power ... you never went into buildings and the AC wasn't working ... and you never had Christmas trees with large sections of lights not working.

Period.

End.

Of.

Story.

Merry Christmas!:xmas:

jakeman

I'm not justify the CPs, but I am also pointing out that Walt's idea was take care of ur cast who will take care of ur guests.
Would this be the same Walt that accused several of his employees of communism?

Or the same Walt that circumvented his own company to set up WED Enterprises?

Walt was the human resource godsend you think he was.

It doesn't matter how a cast member has been or is treated. Personnel problems can be handled backstage. Onstage I expect cast members to provide the highest level of customer service. No excuses.

rkelly42

was there from the 5th-12th and ran into the same problem at epcot, almost every night the tree had some sort of malfunction.

_Scar

Nah, at this time of the year, they usually just send out Krampus to do their dirty work.

3FZnoU8PUhuljfcnRbxEluOEo1_400.jpg

If anyone watches The Office, doesn't Dwight mention this? :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom