epcot changing?

should they change epcot?

• Total voters

MotherOfBirds

I recently had the opportunity to talk to an Epcot exec. I asked about the future of WS and they replied that they were in talks to add another country within the next decade. First priority would go to "plussing" existing pavilions, but a new one was very likely, just not in time for the 50th.

Malrora73

I think if they did it correctly Future World in Epcot could be amazing, especially if they could finally put some Marvel characters in the park. No I am not talking about an overlay. I am talking about brand new attractions featuring Marvel characters with edutainment values. In all recent Marvel movies there is some element of science, engineering, or technology involved. All of which could be used for edutainment attractions. For example, even though I know it is highly unlikely we will be able to use them in the near future due to Universal using these characters in their park, but you could have Iron Man do something based on clean energy (arc reactor, anyone), Captain America for the Human Body, Dr Strange for.Noetic Science and exploration of the mind, Thor could possibly work for the land if you have an introduction for instance saying Throughout my travels in the galaxy I have seen many planets destroyed because their inhabitants failed to care for their planet as they should, then just update some of the technology info, but otherwise keep the ride the same. Something along those lines that doesn't eradicate the education element. The seas, I have no idea but I definitely want to keep them. As far as drawing in guests and young minds for edutainment based rides I do think that the Marvel franchise has the most potential given all the science and engineering in those movies. Otherwise I would have said Star Wars but that's already on the way at DHS. If they do do an overhaul I hope this is the direction they go in. I have no problem with them using popular characters to bring guests in as long as those attractions continue to maintain an edutainment value. I am definitely ready for something new at Epcot besides Frozen. I hope they put in more countries or change it to regions and build back.

KINGLOUIS1993

I think if they did it correctly Future World in Epcot could be amazing, especially if they could finally put some Marvel characters in the park. No I am not talking about an overlay. I am talking about brand new attractions featuring Marvel characters with edutainment values. In all recent Marvel movies there is some element of science, engineering, or technology involved. All of which could be used for edutainment attractions. For example, even though I know it is highly unlikely we will be able to use them in the near future due to Universal using these characters in their park, but you could have Iron Man do something based on clean energy (arc reactor, anyone), Captain America for the Human Body, Dr Strange for.Noetic Science and exploration of the mind, Thor could possibly work for the land if you have an introduction for instance saying Throughout my travels in the galaxy I have seen many planets destroyed because their inhabitants failed to care for their planet as they should, then just update some of the technology info, but otherwise keep the ride the same. Something along those lines that doesn't eradicate the education element. The seas, I have no idea but I definitely want to keep them. As far as drawing in guests and young minds for edutainment based rides I do think that the Marvel franchise has the most potential given all the science and engineering in those movies. Otherwise I would have said Star Wars but that's already on the way at DHS. If they do do an overhaul I hope this is the direction they go in. I have no problem with them using popular characters to bring guests in as long as those attractions continue to maintain an edutainment value. I am definitely ready for something new at Epcot besides Frozen. I hope they put in more countries or change it to regions and build back.
:) I like this post lots

KINGLOUIS1993

Epcot as it is currently is very hotch potch and almost dare I say "boring" especially future world. With that said I love World Showcase and the Land Pavilion. It needs something to freshen it up and give it a new dynamic. First thing I would do would be to remove the graveyard at the entrance as it a distraction to the magnificent Spaceship Earth. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of using the Marvel IP's but no matter what the opinions of people on here Money talks and Disney know how to take our money, Marvel sells and they will exploit this. Science is a very prominent theme in Marvel and topics such as energy, ways of thinking and space travel all feature in various films and comics. For me this is where the IP can fit into the park. I wouldn't personally be sad to see EEA be removed for something else and apart from The Land, Sea and Spaceship Earth I don't love anything else in that area enough to care if it gets replaced/re-themed. I like Test Track obviously although I actually preferred the old one if I am being honest. I am also not saying to re-theme it to a whole Marvel Land but can just see where it would fit in. As for World Showcase I love the whole area, I miss Maelstrom in Norway but other than adding some more countries and a couple more rides I am content. I would go for Australia, India and Egypt. The IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth is probably my favourite night time fireworks show, there is nothing better than watching this with your family eating amazing food and drink with beautiful views of the Earth surrounded by masses of culture and sculpture.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
In theory, those are not bad ideas. The problem (in my opinion of course) is that its too easy. Its the lazy way. I say that because using a bunch of super heroes all over FW detracts from the larger narrative of science, education, the future, etc. The education/edutainment theme would be over shadowed by the fantasy concept. Yes, it would get children excited and the rides would more than likely be quality, but there are so many other ways to achieve excitement and desire to learn through edutainment style attractions without turning Epcot into a Fantasyland.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to see some good Marvel based attractions, just in the right park. And please, for the love of Mickey Mouse dont think Im pleading for Epcot to return to any of its former versions or "glory days". I would be just as disapointed if Disney announced they were bringing back the original Horizons. As much as Id love that, its another easy way out. The park needs to evolve but still maintain a distinct identity that distinguishes it from the other parks.

stitch1donald2

Hoping more folks who were stopped answered 'not good'....

Future World needs a complete revamp and I'm not just talking about the Pavilions.
A fresh new look to the general area would be nice... back to clean, timeless designs instead of the mishmash of visual clutter.

The tarps and poles being removed would be a good start.....not to mention the stone 'graveyard' in front of Spaceship Earth.

-
I'm really glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks the monoliths look like tombstones...have been saying for years that centuries fom now, future archeologists would dig up this site, see the monoliths and whats left of Spaceship Earth and think it was some form of giant memorial. lol
It's a nice thing for families to have, but feel that it could be placed elsewhere...it takes away from the original feel when entering the park, kind of like the big Mickey hat used to in front of the Chinese Theater in DHS.

NothingRhymeswithOrange

If they use future world as a marvel themed area it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm all for non IP driven rides but this is something I definitely could get on board with since a) I'm a marvel fanboy (though love DC as well) b) want Disney to finally make Epcot great again (trump reference on point). If they don't shoehorn attractions and actually let them make sense to the purpose of future world then it would be an excellent addition. That's if we could get the rights to use certain characters for the area, but that's another issue all together. A future world built around characters like Ant Man, Vision, Ultron, Stark industries, etc would highlight scientific future projects and how they are being used today. Obviously Iron Man wouldn't be able to be used but this could be the answer we are looking for to finally bring future world back to what it once was.

bcoachable

Was this the the executive you spoke with?

View attachment 168086

I do not understand why Bus drivers are belittled so much on here..
It comes off to me as a type of Bullying... I really would like to see this end.
If I were a bus driver, and jumped on this web site to catch up on some rumors, began to read this, I would be so angry (hurt).
Does the shoe fit every driver?
I get it that sometimes they may say things they may think are true, but so do many CM's.
Many/most bus drivers I have come across are some of the Greatest Employees on property..

montyz81

In this case, I am all for including IPs. As I have said all along. IP's with a bit of education associated with it, add in a bit of fun/excitement to the ride, you could have a real thing here. This would all only be possible and fit to EC's original them if said IPs made reference back or connected in some way Walt Disney's original goal for Epcot. Or, the IP's could refer back to the original goal of each pavilion when EC opened.
My big question is, what then do you do for SSE?

It is too bad Disney didn't buy DC comics instead. SSE Could totally be rethemed to the Justice League with each of the pavilions dealing with one of the original super heros: Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman. (I can't believe I just said that!)

Magenta Panther

I understand why Marvel fans would be on board with putting Marvel characters in Epcot, but I just can't see it. I don't think they'd fit in anywhere in Epcot, even in Future World. How do superheroes relate to the future? How could they be educational? What, will humans in the future be able to expand themselves like floats from Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, or shoot lasers out of their eyes?

Superheroes are basically about one thing: punching bad guys in the face. That's what their various bizarre and sometimes laughable powers are meant for. I don't see how that relates to Epcot in any way whatsoever.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It comes off to me as a type of Bullying... I really would like to see this end.
If I were a bus driver, and jumped on this web site to catch up on some rumors, began to read this, I would be so angry (hurt).
I get it that sometimes they may say things they may think are true, but so do many CM's.
Many/most bus drivers I have come across are some of the Greatest Employees on property..
Uh-oh, I triggered a social justice warrior. First, calm down, I love all Disney bus drivers. The bus driver jokes are completely made in jest. I sincerely do not think anybody who cracks a bus driver joke here is attempting to belittle one, or any of the bus drivers.

So what all should we "end" that would prevent your feelings from being hurt? I was having a beer with my brother and he called me "crazy" for supporting the Dallas Cowboys. Many others have said the same thing. Are they "bullying" me, or just having a little fun? Should I get butt hurt about it, or enjoy their company and appreciate their humor and honesty about their feelings for my favorite football team?

Figments Friend

I'm really glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks the monoliths look like tombstones...have been saying for years that centuries fom now, future archeologists would dig up this site, see the monoliths and whats left of Spaceship Earth and think it was some form of giant memorial. lol
It's a nice thing for families to have, but feel that it could be placed elsewhere...it takes away from the original feel when entering the park, kind of like the big Mickey hat used to in front of the Chinese Theater in DHS.

Welcome, friend.
:)

At some point the 'Leave a Legacy' monoliths will be removed, and I truly look forward to that day.

I have always thought that a nice spot for them post-contract location would be to have the photo tiles be displayed on the walls of the buildings surrounding the interior entrance plaza.
Those who invested in the tiles would then be able to still visit and view them, and they would still technically be contained within the the entrance area but not contributing to being a part of a thematic eye sore.

I don't think anyone has ever had a issue with the concept of the 'LaL' tiles, but many have an issue with how they were displayed.
It is the stone monoliths and the location of where they are placed that has always been the main issue with some people, self included.
More suitable and thematically tasteful ways could be done to display them, in my opinion.

It would be nice to have a open and welcoming entrance plaza again.
Remove the 'graveyard / war memorial' from the front of a Park that was supposed to symbolize hope and a bright future for humanity.
That would be a small step into helping to bring Epcot into a better future in itself.

Last edited:

StevieRay

Uh-oh, I triggered a social justice warrior. First, calm down, I love all Disney bus drivers. The bus driver jokes are completely made in jest. I sincerely do not think anybody who cracks a bus driver joke here is attempting to belittle one, or any of the bus drivers.

So what all should we "end" that would prevent your feelings from being hurt? I was having a beer with my brother and he called me "crazy" for supporting the Dallas Cowboys. Many others have said the same thing. Are they "bullying" me, or just having a little fun? Should I get butt hurt about it, or enjoy their company and appreciate their humor and honesty about their feelings for my favorite football team?
Just appreciate their humor, honesty, and Jealousy of America's Team.

montyz81

OMG. I have seen it all. Our country is so sensitive that we have included the words "Bullying" and "Bus Driver" in the same sentence. So the rumor mill started by bus drivers in general has lead to many false rumors. The issue here is that most bus drivers will make completely unsubstantiated claims without an attempt to make sure they are true. If we are going to go to the level of telling people to stop bullying bus drivers, maybe someone in transportation should first make sure that the bus drivers, monorail drivers, boat drivers, etc all have a single source of the truth, or not say anything at all. If someone within the transportation does not like the way they are being treated by this Fandom, then it should not be a complaint out to the fandom to stop, it should be a complaint/action to the transportation organization to improve what they know about the company's plans and how they communicate that to guests.

Sorry, there would not have been an effort to write this post had "Bullying" and "Bus Driver" not been included in the same sentence. I am just so tired of this country making concessions for those people that do not attempt to or want to learn and impart accurate/correct information (please do not assume I am taking about people that have learning challenges)

tl77

I don't think changing Future World look like "today's" vision of the future is going to help that park in any significant way, and in 20 years it will just look old/out dated again

What Epcot needs as a whole are more attractions, originally several of the World Showcase pavilions were supposed to get little C or D ticket boat rides like Mexico and Norway, and Japan and the un-built Swiss pavilion were to have then trademark Disney "mountains with roller-coasters in them". This is really what Epcot "needs" but never got... something to do in World Showcase besides eat and shop, and now that Disney Springs has the "eating and shopping in a lovely themed environment" thing covered, maybe World Showcase could now get around to providing some rides for it's $90 a day admission price.

I don't think Future World isn't as horrible as people make it out to be, it's certainly not as great as it used to be... but that's in large part because only about half of it is worth visiting. Every time my family is there we see Spaceship Earth, Innoventions, the Seas, the Land, and Test Track. Energy, Space, and Imagination aren't worth the time in our opinion, and the Odyssey, Wonders of Life, and about half of each Innoventions building are just wasted space... simply reinventing the theme of Future World, is really just more trouble than it's worth, and won't do anything to fix the parts that don't work.

Stick with theme of half future world and half old world, but add couple of E-tickets, a whole lot of C and D tickets, and create a "variety of experiences" ...that's what makes the Magic Kingdom magical, the fact that every where you turn there's something different to see

Bocabear

I have often said, if they just built the attractions that were planned for World Showcase, EPCOT would not have any capacity or popularity problems... The River Ride in the UK Pavilion, The Fuji Coaster in Japan, The Rhine River ride in Germany and the unbuilt pavilion where Equatorial Africa was going to be...Also rumored in the past was a whitewater rafting ride in Canada...if these things were actually built, they would have an absolute smash hit of a park without IP tie ins being necessary... That would buy them the time to reconfigure Future World thoughtfully...

Last edited:

montyz81

I have often said, if they just built the attractions that were planned for World Showcase, EPCOT would not have any capacity por popularity problems... The River Ride in the UK Pavilion, The Fuji Coaster in Japan, The Rhine River ride in Germany and the unbuilt pavilion where Equatorial Africa was going to be...Also rumored in the past was a whitewater rafting ride in Canada...if these things were actually built, they would have an absolute smash hit of a park without IP tie ins being necessary... Thet wold buy them the time to reconfigure Future World thoughtfully...
Agree completely

Magenta Panther

I have often said, if they just built the attractions that were planned for World Showcase, EPCOT would not have any capacity or popularity problems... The River Ride in the UK Pavilion, The Fuji Coaster in Japan, The Rhine River ride in Germany and the unbuilt pavilion where Equatorial Africa was going to be...Also rumored in the past was a whitewater rafting ride in Canada...if these things were actually built, they would have an absolute smash hit of a park without IP tie ins being necessary... That would buy them the time to reconfigure Future World thoughtfully...

I'd prefer a Beatles Yellow Submarine ride in UK, but otherwise I agree with your post with a billion likes! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom