epcot changing?

should they change epcot?

• Total voters

willtravel

I know that @marni1971 has stated in other threads that we should most likely expect the look and feel of Epcot from the entry all the way up through to the beginning of World Showcase to change and have a more organic feel to it. He has also hinted at Innoventions areas to be changing as well, including a new (or refurbed) eating location. The monoliths out front should disappear, and that this could be viewed as Epcot's version of a MSUSA. At least that is what I think that he said.
What does "organic feel to it" mean?

jaques21

It would be amazing to see an updated version of Epcot pre 94' in future world. It would be nice if the Imagineers would watch the old videos of Walt Disney explaining the concept of Epcot and draw ideas for a revamp Future world. This used to be my favorite park but since its decline MK has taken over. All in all at least it seems Disney might do something with Future World!

rnese

Here's your solution. Create an obvious distinction between Tomorrowland and Future World. A definitive line can be established based on existing infrastructure and attractions. Both areas need significant work so now is as good a time as any to establish what's needed.

Tomorrowland: This will be a fantasy view of the future, grounded in intellectual property.
Future World: This will be a realistic view of the future, grounded in original concepts, history and realistic visions of the future and/or modern technologies.

This would result in wholesale changes to both locations. What I'd love to see would be a new Space Mountain building inside Epcot, near Mission: SPACE (possibly demolishing Wonders of Life). I'd also like to see an upgraded Carousel of Progress in Future World as well. If it's part of a new Horizons concept, even better. The reality is that Space Mountain in it's current Magic Kingdom state needs a new track and entirely new effects. Why not use this as an opportunity to build a new one in Epcot while running promotions on the current one before it goes away?

I want to see a peoplemover in Future World and I'd love to see Nemo removed in favor of a new Seas pavilion (or perhaps even a new concept their entirely as that's a better fit for Animal Kingdom at this point). As for Imagination, there were rumors that Dreamfinder and Figment would find their way to Tomorrowland as well as meet and greet characters. I wouldn't oppose this, but could see a logical fit in either land.

I could also see Future World being renamed to Discoveryland to better represent past, present and future.
Absolutely! Differentiating between Tomorrowland and Future World shouldn't be that difficult.
1. Functional Peoplemover
2. Figment and Dreamfinder to Tomorrowland
3. Replace Nemo and TT with C, and move to Animal Kingdom
4. BRING BACK AN UPDATED HORIZONS!

Since Figment would be replaced, they should re-theme Imagination by telling the story of the famous inventors and creators throughout history such as Da Vinci, Einstein, Edison, Tesla, Franklin, etc. because they used their IMAGINATION...along with their knowledge of science.

Thebolt

Everybody hates the graveyard that greets people at the entrance. If they widened the entrace with direct access routes to the Seas and Universe of Energy (or replacement), make more of a courtyard with merchandise stores, coffee, donuts etc. in front of Spaceship Earth; the welcome to Future World would be so much better.
All the other parks have a transitional zone like this between the real world and the magical because it creates an atmosphere.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Hoping more folks who were stopped answered 'not good'....

Future World needs a complete revamp and I'm not just talking about the Pavilions.
A fresh new look to the general area would be nice... back to clean, timeless designs instead of the mishmash of visual clutter.

The tarps and poles being removed would be a good start.....not to mention the stone 'graveyard' in front of Spaceship Earth.

-
Yeahhhhh, I doubt that is going to be the result that stems from "not good" answers. That's going to be the queue to bust out the wrecking ball and turn the place into MK 2.0

The Empress Lilly

That transitional zone is called Spaceship Earth. The reasoning is that you are not supposed to be able to see any of Future World until passing under SSE. This is because the attraction sets the backstory for all of Future World. Spaceship Earth shows where we have been, and the rest of Future World is where we are going. Allowing access to other parts of FW before passing through SSE would destroy the backstory.
The first two sentences are great. (Although the visitor is expected to have seen all of EPCOT from the monorail before entering). The rest is fan fiction, as true as the wedding ring of HM.

The Empress Lilly

I guess it really does come down to individual interpretation, because this is how I have always understood it to be. :)
Actually, that is a good point. I prefer Disney where the story isn't too imposed, too precise. Leave a little to the imagination, to individual interpretation. That works for the best of WDW: Pirates, the Mansion, a castle at the end of an early 20th century road. That creates more mystery, more intrigue, more of a dreamlike state.

Goofyernmost

The first two sentences are great. (Although the visitor is expected to have seen all of EPCOT from the monorail before entering). The rest is fan fiction, as true as the wedding ring of HM.
Seems like a good idea until you remember that there is a huge parking lot just outside the park where no one will ever see what you are talking about because they didn't come in via monorail. Perhaps it is a simpler reason and that is that it is a spectacular park Icon. It greets you when you enter the gate regardless of how you got there. It is an amazing attraction that just wets your appetite for what is to follow. It doesn't hide or set you up for what is behind other then being impressed and hoping for more of the same.

The Empress Lilly

Everybody is a strong word... Personally I really don't understand the gripe over it. I think it looks fine, and without it with nothing else there it would be way to open and feel odd to me. Just my opinion, but I really don't get why so many hate the "graveyard".
vintageepcot5.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Also, side note- one thing I do not like about the entrance is how the fountain changed, that looks awkward with nothing at the center of it anymore.
Right!? That plexiglass sculpture always was my central focal point. The area feels incomplete without it.

My wish list is so simple: return the old fountain (those rocks are ugly), with sculpture, change the trees for palm trees again, move the LaL pictures to the inside of the outside walls (everybody happy). That's all. And plant some flowers. ^_^

Bocabear

Everybody is a strong word... Personally I really don't understand the gripe over it. I think it looks fine, and without it with nothing else there it would be way to open and feel odd to me. Just my opinion, but I really don't get why so many hate the "graveyard".
oh you are the one that likes it...lol No honestly it was beautifully open and uncluttered...it allowed you that one moment to take the whole thing in...a grand vista... The grave yard has added nothing to the picture but distraction...
I really wish they would re-cast that acrylic prism sculpture again...it was amazing.. It has always looked like something was conspicuously missing since then...

WDWGuide

I do think a redesign of Future World is way overdue, as much as I enjoy some of the current attractions there. It just isn't cohesive any more.

Creating an adaptive vision of a sustainable future that integrates environment and technology hand in hand would be a much more appropriate message to send to visitors than the current retro-futuristic concrete jungle that fails to educate even where it tries to do so. Hell, showing a stream of science TED talks would be both more engaging and educational than just about everything they have currently. Disney needs to realize that the times of corporate sponsorship of pavilions is a thing of the past. A resurrected Project Gemini would be a step in the right direction (minus Time Racers), but I think they need to go beyond this and really make future world a cohesive experience where the messages of the various pavilions subtly reinforce each other without being preachy. Not an easy line to walk to be sure, but not impossible.

Jimmy Thick

I highly highly doubt Disney would build anything without an ip attached to it. The days of original stand alone rides like Spaceship Earth and Soarin' will never happen again.

TeriofTerror

I highly highly doubt Disney would build anything without an ip attached to it. The days of original stand alone rides like Spaceship Earth and Soarin' will never happen again.
I'd like to add a qualifier to that: will never happen again under current management.
For a while, nothing could be built without a sponsor. Then, nothing could be built without an IP. Maybe someday, nothing will be able to be built unless it's a high quality attraction that contributes to the theme of its environment in a meaningful way.
Someday when my dreams come true. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom