Epcot Center/Buena Vista Drive Interchange Project

Progress.City

You are right that "A" monorail is not the answer. Although a monorail expansion would certainly be part of a solution along with light rail, peoplemovers, and moving sidewalks.

Or 10 lane highways and city busses.

The brain trust driving the place are problem solvers (and not particularly creative ones) not dreamers. The problem with being driven by problem solvers is that they are always solving the problems they create because they are not dreamers. They are always one step behind.
See, this debate keeps coming up. And I had nothing to do with it this time! Those who are with me on this, don't worry. The ROW being reserved for buses could be converted into a ROW for light rail tracks or monorail beams. It's cheaper to go from Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) to Light Rail Transit (LRT) than it is to go straight to LRT from scratch. So, it's progress.

Progress.City

The high speed rail was a dumb idea that nobody was going to use. Disney only promised space for a station, not a monorail connection. Magical Express was also going to continue. The ridiculous price tag to have a high speed train that barely ever went to such speeds would have made ticket prices far and away above anything else available. Disney's problems are their own making and their falling into the same traps that see sprawl continue despite people acknowledging the destructive nature of suburbanization.
I mentioned this before, but the state was planning on building a monorail to Cocoa Beach in Phase II of HSR. There is a public document on the web in the state archives that details that plan. I'm sure Disney would have supported it, since it would provide a direct connect to the cruise ships.

I have a whole stack of these documents, including the Disney plans for the HSR station and plans to extend the monorail to it. I also have plans that were killed when HSR was killed for an I-Drive People Mover system. My intention was to publish all of it on my domain progress.city but I just never did it. I was going to call this section the "Monorail X-Files". I may still do it, if I'm so motivated.

Last edited:

NickC

They went as far as the EIS (Environmental Impact Studies), engineering, and even had the permits pulled. It is still unknown till this day why they never began construction. There were also multiple plans to extend the monorail and that never happened either, obviously.

Yeah, speaking of the monorail expansion, (sorry if this is straying too far off topic...) one of the "future development" maps from that same FDEP filing with the trolley system shows a proposed monorail line stemming from the Epcot loop, running through the Epcot resorts and to Hollywood Studios. It's a bit faint because they chose light blue for the line, and it's a scanned photo from 1991, but if you look closely at the full resolution image, you can make out most of it (it's listed as "Proposed Monorail" in the map legend.):

Click for full res...

And then there's this reference to another proposed monorail expansion from the late 90's that at least made it to the feasibility study phase:

Walt Disney World Monorail System Expansion Project, Orlando, FL: Project architect for this Walt Disney Imagineering project involving developing six themed monorail stations as part of the concept/feasibility
phase for the proposed multibillion-dollar expansion of the existing monorail system to Disney’s MGM
Studios, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, and Typhoon Lagoon with significant enlargement of existing
facilities at Disney’s Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Project also included schematic layout of new remote
monorail maintenance facility.

That quote came from this portfolio:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.fl.us/LTS/D5/Procurement/13557_Kissimmee_Parking_Garage/LOR/Pond/Pond & Company_Resumes_433874-1-32-01.pdf

Last edited:

Progress.City

Yeah, speaking of the monorail expansion, (sorry if this is straying too far off topic...) one of the "future development" maps from that same FDEP filing with the trolley system shows a proposed monorail line stemming from the Epcot loop, running through the Epcot resorts and to Hollywood Studios. It's a bit faint because they chose light blue for the line, and it's a scanned photo from 1991, but if you look closely at the full resolution image, you can make out most of it (it's listed as "Proposed Monorail" in the map legend.):

Click for full res...

And then there's this reference to another proposed monorail expansion from the late 90's that at least made it to the feasibility study phase:

Walt Disney World Monorail System Expansion Project, Orlando, FL: Project architect for this Walt Disney Imagineering project involving developing six themed monorail stations as part of the concept/feasibility
phase for the proposed multibillion-dollar expansion of the existing monorail system to Disney’s MGM
Studios, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, and Typhoon Lagoon with significant enlargement of existing
facilities at Disney’s Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Project also included schematic layout of new remote

ftp://ftp.dot.state.fl.us/LTS/D5/Procurement/13557_Kissimmee_Parking_Garage/LOR/Pond/Pond & Company_Resumes_433874-1-32-01.pdf
WOW! That is AWESOME! Another file for my monorail X-files idea!!!!

CaptainAmerica

Ah yes, the old standard of dismissing Disney's own past.
If EPCOT had been built as an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, it would have been the downfall of The Walt Disney Company and be known forever as "Disney's folly." I can't imagine how a man who spent much of his life speaking to the evils of communism somehow had, as his final great dream, a grand vision of a communist utopia.

Progress.City

Disney doesn't wait for anyone else to build roads. They shouldn't have waited for the rail project either. Even though the governor put a stop to the public rail, All Aboard is still doing it on their own...which I'm super excited for! I'm sure if they had really wanted to, Disney could have built a train to the airport on their own...or with strategic partners. Yes, yes, I know...it costs money and would be difficult. D@mn stockholders.

I know when I used to fly in to visit Disney, I would have much rather taken a sleek train than the buses. I've never had a very "Disney experience" with the Mears people driving the Magical Express. Thankfully I no longer have to take it. That high-speed direct rail link from London to Disneyland Paris, though?? OMG LOVE!! :)
AAF is using some of the public money that was intended for FHSR indirectly, such as the station at the OIA. AAF wants to expand west to WDW in the next phase. Likely, they will negotiate with the state for the HSR ROW that is built into the median of I-4, amounting to yet another indirect subsidy for AAF. I hope the state leases it to them with the rights reserved to run their own system on the tracks that they will likely build and the state would modify with electric overhead power.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since we are so far off the beaten track, here's a closer shot of the MGM monorail line

image.jpg

P_Radden

Man, you guys are killin me with all these old facts and images. Keep em comin'. I love me some WDW infrastructure and/or construction . :D

Mr. Progress.City, not sure if anybody has told you this, you sir sure like your exclamation points. I feel like 90% of your posts read like a giddy school girl. Haha. Appreciate all the info tho!

Progress.City

Click for full res...

What's even more interesting is what has been developed since that was made. Of the two theme parks shown, the one that is now AK has been built. The other parcel reserved for a theme park is ESPN World of Sports. Of the hotels, H2 (AKL), H10 (Coronado Springs), H11-13 (All Stars), H9 is Blizzard Beach (I believe), H6 is Pop Century and Art of Animation Resorts, H8 is the Boardwalk Resort parking lot, and H19 is Wilderness Lodge.

H1, H8, H16, H17, H18, H3, H4, H6, H7, and the attractions parcel west of HS on World Drive are still vacant. H6 and H7 would require extending the Seven Seas Lagoon further west.

Can someone explain what the RV lots are?

Progress.City

Man, you guys are killin me with all these old facts and images. Keep em comin'. I love me some WDW infrastructure and/or construction ****. :D

Mr. Progress.City, not sure if anybody has told you this, you sir sure like your exclamation points. I feel like 90% of your posts read like a giddy school girl. Haha. Appreciate all the info tho!
oh, I get all giddy when it comes to trains and monorails. My ex girlfriend used to make fun of me whenever we went to WDW or got on a train and talk to me like I was a little kid "oooooo a train!" Lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My city (West Palm Beach) is the most walkable city in the nation thanks to New Urbanism, thank you.
Nope. West Palm beach gets a walking score of 38, which classifies it as a car dependent city. It does not even put it in the number one spot in the state let alone best in the entire nation. It is tied for the 53rd spot in the state. Orlando, one of the most un-walkable places on earth, beats West Palm with a score of 39.

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/West_Palm_Beach

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Click for full res...

Multi-BILLION dollars (in 1991) for an infrastructure project that would generate zero incremental revenue. If that were ever approved the Board of Directors and the entire C-suite would face a class action lawsuit from the shareholders for breach of fiduciary duty. And people think NextGen was a waste of money.

Progress.City

Nope. West Palm beach gets a walking score of 38, which classifies it as a car dependent city. It does not even put it in the number one spot in the state let alone best in the entire nation. It is tied for the 53rd spot in the state. Orlando, one of the most un-walkable places on earth beats West Palm with a score of 39.

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/West_Palm_Beach
I mean the downtown area...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

See http://walkablewpb.com

My area is a suburb of WPB not within the city limits and ranks up there...

image.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Downtown gets an 82 which still ranks it below the entire city of New York and San Francisco.

It also comes in well shy of other smaller districts in the state. Flamingo-Lummus at 93, West Avenue at 88, City Center at 88, Little Havana at 86 and Wynwood-Edgewater at 85. I went no further than Miami and found 5 places that beat Downtown West Palm Beach.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The high speed rail was a dumb idea that nobody was going to use. Disney only promised space for a station, not a monorail connection. Magical Express was also going to continue. The ridiculous price tag to have a high speed train that barely ever went to such speeds would have made ticket prices far and away above anything else available. Disney's problems are their own making and their falling into the same traps that see sprawl continue despite people acknowledging the destructive nature of suburbanization.

Killing that project was one of Gov. Voldemort's best ideas, Light rail COULD have worked but that was not what the funding was for, Light rail combines most of the best attributes of buses and gives them a dedicated 'lane' so to speak as well as much higher capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom