Epcot asthetic changes and more (9/19 pics!)

Boray

I do hope they plan to replace those palms between SSE and the bathrooms. I took an AWESOME picture there a few years back from under SSE up toward the sky (it was a pinkish, purplish color while the sun was setting) and the palms were on the left of the picture. It is my all-time favorite picture of anything at WDW. I felt so artsy after taking it!!! Everytime I walk through there, I think of how beautiful it all is.

I'm thrilled to see the TLC that things are getting around there. It will really freshen up the look of Epcot.

Now, if we can only get the Imagination Pavillion updated and get Wonders of Life back on the map... :fork: (Hey, a girl can dream... :animwink: )

EPCOT_1138

It's been raining in Oviedo non-stop since Monday at 11 pm. This morning is the first time I've seen sunlight since Monday morning. I always feel bad for the people going to Disney while walking to class in the rain. Then I remember that at least there walking at the happiest place on earth in the rain. I'm walking to electrical networks, and then I don't feel so bad anymore. LOL

There's a tropical system forming over us now, so it'll probably be raining for a few more days...

askmike1

There's definitely enough time, I just don't think they plan on doing that yet. Disney (ABC) can build a house in matter of days, I don't think a few coats of paint is that much of an obstacle.

Oh definitely..... now.... how long has that painting been going on at the China pavilion? ;)

And lookie, Japan appears to be tarpless - whoo hoo for that wedding party.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! You just made my week! :sohappy: :sohappy:

I pretty much had accepted that the tarps would be there but there was a small part of me hoping they'd get in gear and get them down for the Anniversary. Thank you again! :D

SDav10495

I thinned the 1982 font and flattened it.

:cool:

Hey, "flattening" the font is a good idea! Definitely more modern. I tried to polish up my Photoshop skills and used your idea as a launching point for a more modern take on the old fonts and logos (thanks!):

4tay3cj.jpg

Mostly the same as 1982, I know, just with...a lot of gradients and lighting and 3-D-ness and stuff. :rolleyes:

jt04

Hey, "flattening" the font is a good idea! Definitely more modern. I tried to polish up my Photoshop skills and used your idea as a launching point for a more modern take on the old fonts and logos (thanks!):

4tay3cj.jpg

Mostly the same as 1982, I know, just with...a lot of gradients and lighting and 3-D-ness and stuff. :rolleyes:

WOW!

JWG

I kinda like the 1994 Epcot font. Clean. Stands the test of time. Looks good next to the flower.

100% agree. The font fits the theme of the park. I never liked the 1998 EpCot logo. The new font is a good representation. I do wish they'd gone back to all caps (not necessarily the same exact font) since Epcot is not a word but an acronymn.

JWG

Somebody just got a new desktop shot :lookaroun :zipit:

I hope you don't mind.

diddy_mouse

Woah...those PhotoShop skills ROCK!! :D Very nice interpretations of the retro Epcot fonts.

Oh and thanks for another wonderful update, merf. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do a lot of reading on the 1st and 2nd, trying to keep up with all the updates. :lol: Thanks as always!

SirNim

There is one key to the whole graphic identity of the park. That one key, believe it or not, is consistency. Ranking them in order, I prefer the original 1982 logotype first, the modern "C" eating the world second, and the 1994 straightforward Futura type (on the new signs) last, if only because no discernible modifications/tweaks were made to this logo (that is, anybody owning that font could type the word "Epcot" into their word processing program and it would look exactly like the logo used in the park).

But the key is consistency. It is dreadfully disconcerting to use one logo on guidemaps and brochures, one logo on park signage, and a final logo on park merchandise. For the most part, the same logo should be used consistently to present a unified image to the public, a clear identity representing the park itself. Anything less, whether one likes it or not, conveys a confused brand identity. Epcot's 1990s/early 2000s image crisis is well-known, I believe, to both those who wish the park were more like its 1982 self and those who wish the park were entirely composed of thrill rides.

We can all agree, I hope, on the principle of brand consistency. Pick one logo, and stick with it across all branding, signage, and merchandise options!

JWG

We can all agree, I hope, on the principle of brand consistency. Pick one logo, and stick with it across all branding, signage, and merchandise options!

This I do agree with and is a good argument for the 1982-1993 logo. It's the logo and recognized symbol of Epcot. Coca-Cola has been the same swirled text forever and when they tried to change it (New Coke) they had a disaster.

Brand recognition is critical, we just rebranded our company logo and 16 months of effort went into making sure it was done right. In the end all that changed was it's color (from blue to a slightly ligher blue) and they tweaked so two letters didn't run together making them hard to read. From 2 ft. or more away you'd swear it was the same.

Expo_Seeker40

Perhaps its then from an artist's stanpoint, but the current Epcot font on the signage at the end of the park goes againt everything I learned in typography, especially when it came to identification for a company, theme park etc.

The 1994 font doesn't represent the park.....not even futureworld because almost all of the buildings are from 1982....and are immediate post modern structures.

The 1982 font just needs some tweaking. It had bold, solid, but it had an edge and a bit of class to it.

The 1994 font is such blah........................blah welcome to Epcot where we stopped creating logos and interesting fonts for this park......what a great first impression when a new guest sees the simple and boring and plain 1994 Epcot font....instead of something with character.........but not the overly done C eating the world font.

w/e it's my two cents, but alteast the logo is still on the sign. :lookaroun

CaptainMichael

That's Progress for ya! :D

Yes...and I think there may have been progress on paint by the SSE entrance, but I'm not sure. I need to compare pics.

Also, they're adding triangular stripey stuff to Cinderella Castle's highest triangular blue roof. Same colors/idea as the lattice already applied to the lower one. The picture didn't come out that great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom