Epcot asthetic changes and more (9/19 pics!)

SDav10495

Painting looks completed on this side:
College_Program_338.jpg

Hmmm...looks like a similar idea to their old green "swirl", but (from what very little I can tell) this seems to be some kind of variation on the design at the Project Tomorrow entrance--kind of a "boomerang" effect leading the eye in towards the entrance. I like the new blue so far. Classy. Thanks for the pics!

And JWG, glad you like the image--no problem at all about using it as a desktop! Why take the time to create and share it if people can't enjoy it the way they want? :D

tirian

Perhaps its then from an artist's stanpoint, but the current Epcot font on the signage at the end of the park goes againt everything I learned in typography, especially when it came to identification for a company, theme park etc.

The 1994 font doesn't represent the park.....not even futureworld because almost all of the buildings are from 1982....and are immediate post modern structures.

The 1982 font just needs some tweaking. It had bold, solid, but it had an edge and a bit of class to it.

The 1994 font is such blah........................blah welcome to Epcot where we stopped creating logos and interesting fonts for this park......what a great first impression when a new guest sees the simple and boring and plain 1994 Epcot font....instead of something with character.........but not the overly done C eating the world font.

w/e it's my two cents, but alteast the logo is still on the sign. :lookaroun

:sohappy: Bravo. I agree.

From a typography standpoint, I love the EpCot logo because it's very well done, but it doesn't represent the park itself. The 1994 logo is disgusting and has no soul whatsoever. The original EPCOT Center logo represents the park's postmodernism well, but needs to be modernized. Frankly, I think that "Center" is superfluous. Just "EPCOT" is fine. Perhaps making it thinner, as someone already suggested, and also connecting some of the letters would update the type. Absolutely NOTHING is wrong or outdated with the flower power graphic itself.

Geez, I'm a design freak.

P.S. I said this earlier and was ignored, so I'll say it again. :D The signage in front of Epcot is NOT COMPETELY NEW. The structure itself, with the "Epcot 94" lettering and old-school logo, is old. The panels with the directional information are new.

tirian

Thanks for the update pics!! I was just wondering how things were coming along at Epcot. It's always exciting to see things being spruced-up, and cleaning-up that cluttered design in Future World is something that has been on a lot of people's wish lists.

I'm disappointed that the new signs you took pics of are not a greater departure from what we have been seeing out there for the past 10 years. They still have the disjointed detaining which in my mind makes them still look cluttered. My hope would have been for them to develop a sleek and modern signage package to celebrate a rejuvenated EPCOT Center.

Another problem I find with the signs is that the dark blue color of the lettering is difficult to see at night when it is backlit. Anyway, just my honest two cents. Signage is going to be a significant factor in the way a new Epcot will look.

-dean../

These aren't new signs. Just new panels on the existing structures. :wave:

Signage is going to be a significant factor in the way a new Epcot will look.

You're 110% correct, sir! I wish they would just make all the signs glossy monoliths (think "2001: A Space Odyssey")--but with clear bars cut out, and illuminated from within. :D

SDav10495

The original EPCOT Center logo represents the park's postmodernism well, but needs to be modernized. Frankly, I think that "Center" is superfluous. Just "EPCOT" is fine. Perhaps making it thinner, as someone already suggested, and also connecting some of the letters would update the type. Absolutely NOTHING is wrong or outdated with the flower power graphic itself.

Agreed with you from a design standpoint, but regarding the word "Center"...have you read this recent post from the newly-resurrected EPCOT Central?

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2007/09/whats-in-name.html

As I say in the comments there, it's often easy to lose sight of why "Center" is still so important--most think it's just missed for nostalgic reasons--but Epcot82 does a great job of arguing for the survival of that little word, even (or especially) with the park the way it is today.

CaptainMichael

Hmmm it looks very similar to Project Tomorrow's exit! Compare these two pictures. Same colored paint and design. Interesting...

I think that's the whole idea, to tie it all together. I'm really looking forward to the new sign. I may have to go back and check tomorrow night.

tirian

Agreed with you from a design standpoint, but regarding the word "Center"...have you read this recent post from the newly-resurrected EPCOT Central?

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2007/09/whats-in-name.html

As I say in the comments there, it's often easy to lose sight of why "Center" is still so important--most think it's just missed for nostalgic reasons--but Epcot82 does a great job of arguing for the survival of that little word, even (or especially) with the park the way it is today.

I completely agree with the point you made, but I was thinking "visually"; "Epcot" looks more futuristic than a recognizable word. :)

I do NOT consider "EPCOT Center" to be mere nostalgia. It definitely has a purpose!

JLW11Hi

The one thing that the 1998 EpCot logo did was add a "festive" feel to the park that was missing in previous fonts. Most likely fit for the Millenium Celebration, and a way to incorporate World Showcase into the branding (the earlier bold fonts mostly represented Future World, but not so much World Showcase) Not that the C earting the O graphic was the best way to go. I just think its something the graphc designers would keep in mind if they ever updated the logo again. Not just something that looks "futuristic", but something "festive" or "worldly(?)" as well. Maybe by making it more colorful, but not going over the top.

lilredfoxie

Those new entrance area signs, they look like those digital variable message signs that were near the monorail and front entrance, are they related?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
To be fair, it's half and half. The two signs by the monorail station were literally cut out of the concrete and then turned into non-LED signs. The other signs never existed before and are based on those original signs. The ones directing people around to the soon-to-be bag checks are certainly brand new.

GymLeaderPhil

To be fair, it's half and half. The two signs by the monorail station were literally cut out of the concrete and then turned into non-LED signs. The other signs never existed before and are based on those original signs. The ones directing people around to the soon-to-be bag checks are certainly brand new.
Confirmed. Those signs near the Monorail entrance between an unused ticket booth were removed and then refubished. All the others are, like Merf said, new.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Confirmed. Those signs near the Monorail entrance between an unused ticket booth were removed and then refubished. All the others are, like Merf said, new.

someone on micechat said the new bagcheck area would feature the classic EPCOT CENTER flower logo prominetly.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Not sure how that's possible, unless new hanging signs are installed.

One side of bag check is made of the canopies from the front gates that have been relocated, and the other is under the monorail station.

Maybe the 900-something feet of new railing that has yet to be installed?

tirian

I know, but I wanted to make sure that nobody thinks that the Futura font on top is definitely Epcot's new logo. It's not. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom