Epcot 30th - live updates and reports

Figments Friend

-

Hehe hehe....yeah, i too would like to hear more about what Marty said.
I still fondly remember the words he said to me on the 25th ( that boy can really speak his mind...!)

Nice to see some folks posting some insights here as to what went on. It seemed a bit quiet...all i have read about up until now it the long lines for merchandise and the fireworks, but very little about what went on during the Anniversary Event.

Anyone have any info regarding what went down at the D23 thingy?
Did my boy Tony have anything to say during the shindig that was interesting?

NemoRocks78

Seized
It was a great day! Lots o' fun with the Celebrations crew and more. It was lovely meeting some fine folks from here too!

I picked up shirts and the shotglass set Sunday evening, when they came out a day early. Monday's merch line was INSANE. I didn't know the wait was that much lower in the evening. Every time I went by to check it looked like it wasn't moving, even when it was just in that corner outside MouseGear. The only thing I wanted from Monday was the "I Was There" pin and I figured I was going to have to wait for eBay to get it… until Pin Central had all of them, plus the 8-bit Figment pin and the pin/patch set (and the $70 Spaceship Earth pin set), out yesterday afternoon. I searched all over in the morning for leftovers but couldn't come across anything. Glad I checked Pin Central on the way out of the park! World Showcase shirts were available at their respective countries and the Outpost, while the "Duffy store" in Showcase Plaza had a few shotglass sets, pins, and shirts left. MouseGear was left with iPhone cases, hats, the "day of" blue/maroon shirts and the Figment shirt for kids.

Uncle Lupe

So will this geek out for Epcot merchandise, New Fantasyland (maybe) and Carsland merchandise lead to more diverse selections property wide?

Uncle Lupe

There were LE Pins, shirts and a very small number of vinylmations.

I can point to 1 guy that did. I got into the line as soon as as the park opened an it took about 2.5 hours to finish the process. It is just one of those things that you have to deal with if you want the LE stuff. I came to Epcot on the 30th with zero intention of getting on a single attractions that day. I was there to do the merchandise, the speeches, meet with some of my fellow Epcot nuts and forum members and the fireworks.

I commend your dedication. Was it just a store capacity issue or another reason for the huge wait?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I commend your dedication. Was it just a store capacity issue or another reason for the huge wait?
IMHO it was store capacity. I do not know if they underestimated the demand or if they were simply not worried about the long lines,but they only had a small corner of Mouse Gear set up for the LE merchandise. While they really did not need any more space to display merchandise, this area only had around 6-8 registers and that lack of registers was the problem. They should have taken a page from Star Wars Weekends and set up a temporary merchandise tent with 20 or more registers. Had they done that the entire line might have cleared in just a few hours.

WDWFigment

-
Nice to see some folks posting some insights here as to what went on. It seemed a bit quiet...all i have read about up until now it the long lines for merchandise and the fireworks, but very little about what went on during the Anniversary Event.

Anyone have any info regarding what went down at the D23 thingy?
Did my boy Tony have anything to say during the shindig that was interesting?

When we arrived just prior to 9 am, the merchandise line already stretched back to Spaceship Earth. I never stepped foot in MouseGear, so I can't speak to the chaos in there. We bought a couple of shirts from Gateway Gifts in 5 minutes and were done with the merchandising aspect of the day.

The day-of presentation (we went to the earlier one) by Sklar was good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he spoke his mind. He made an offhand comment about a logo, and a vague comment about the future that some have interpreted to mean big changes are coming (not my take at all). His historical stories were interesting and I'm sure his book will be great for those, but I don't think he's been one to publicly speak his mind in recent years.

The Epcot Moment was just downright bad. The best part of it, by far, was Mariachi Cobre...and you don't need a special moment to enjoy them. The speeches by Youngs, Crofton, and even MacPhee were not good. MacPhee's speech didn't really rub me the wrong way until he invoked Walt, saying definitively that he knew Walt would love what Epcot has become. That was especially "interesting" given the use past tense when park creatives and others were discussing Epcot's greatness throughout the weekend.

The fireworks tag speaks for itself in videos. I was pretty impressed by it, but a local with our group said it wasn't as spectacular as the NYE or July 4th tags. It was definitely better than the perimeter bursts in Wishes last year, though.

I thought the D23 presentations on 9/30 were exceptional. D23 has caught a lot of flak from fans over the last few years, some of it justified, some of it not (in my opinion), but I think these historical presentations are what D23 does best. We've done a variety of D23 events, and the two we've enjoyed the most (by far) are last year's Destination D (WDW 40th) event and this one. Other D23 events have been hit or miss.

Overall, the weekend was sort of bittersweet. It was great meeting/seeing so many people and the events were a lot of fun, but they were also a strong reminder of what EPCOT Center was versus what Epcot is.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Marty Sklar's presentation was the highlight of the entire day. He offered so much insight and he was totally upfront and honest. I am very interested in learning more about the future developments he eluded to.

I just hope Erin and Meg both realize that people wont be waiting in line for hours for merchandise for the 40th if some things don't change around EPCOT soon.

Cmdr_Crimson

When we arrived just prior to 9 am, the merchandise line already stretched back to Spaceship Earth. I never stepped foot in MouseGear, so I can't speak to the chaos in there. We bought a couple of shirts from Gateway Gifts in 5 minutes and were done with the merchandising aspect of the day.

The day-of presentation (we went to the earlier one) by Sklar was good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he spoke his mind. He made an offhand comment about a logo, and a vague comment about the future that some have interpreted to mean big changes are coming (not my take at all). His historical stories were interesting and I'm sure his book will be great for those, but I don't think he's been one to publicly speak his mind in recent years.

The Epcot Moment was just downright bad. The best part of it, by far, was Mariachi Cobre...and you don't need a special moment to enjoy them. The speeches by Youngs, Crofton, and even MacPhee were not good. MacPhee's speech didn't really rub me the wrong way until he invoked Walt, saying definitively that he knew Walt would love what Epcot has become. That was especially "interesting" given the use past tense when park creatives and others were discussing Epcot's greatness throughout the weekend.

The fireworks tag speaks for itself in videos. I was pretty impressed by it, but a local with our group said it wasn't as spectacular as the NYE or July 4th tags. It was definitely better than the perimeter bursts in Wishes last year, though.

I thought the D23 presentations on 9/30 were exceptional. D23 has caught a lot of flak from fans over the last few years, some of it justified, some of it not (in my opinion), but I think these historical presentations are what D23 does best. We've done a variety of D23 events, and the two we've enjoyed the most (by far) are last year's Destination D (WDW 40th) event and this one. Other D23 events have been hit or miss.

Overall, the weekend was sort of bittersweet. It was great meeting/seeing so many people and the events were a lot of fun, but they were also a strong reminder of what EPCOT Center was versus what Epcot is.

Didn't know if you saw that you were in a shot at the very bottom of the photo's they took on D23's site..
http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/10/recap-d23s-epcot-30th-anniversary-celebration/

WDWBryan

Yeah I didn't really like the tag. the POE finale is still my favorite. I didn't like the music and I kept watching it go along saying to myself this is nice but was waiting for something to wow me, then they shot a bunch of stuff off at the end and that was it.

And it is sad about Epcot when you spend the day celebrating what Epcot used to be because you cant celebrate what it has become.

HMF

I thought it was a little more scathing but quoting from :

Sklar "I am starting a campaign to bring back the orignal logo and get rid of this stupid one (pointing at podium)"
They are both nice logos. One is more of a symbol the other one more of a typeface

HMF

The Epcot Moment was just downright bad. The best part of it, by far, was Mariachi Cobre...and you don't need a special moment to enjoy them. The speeches by Youngs, Crofton, and even MacPhee were not good. MacPhee's speech didn't really rub me the wrong way until he invoked Walt, saying definitively that he knew Walt would love what Epcot has become.
Whenever anyone in the Disney Company acts like he/she knows what Walt would think, they lose all credibility in my eyes. It's a shame too because I thought MacPhee was one of the few good guys in TDO.

scpergj

We walked right past each other on Monday...as soon as you past me, I realized who you were! You were walking towards Mexico, somewhere around Germany if I remember - we were walking the opposite direction. If you were watching Illuminations from where I think you were, my wife and I were also behind you by about 50 feet.

Small world, isn't it?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom