End of Polynesian torch lighting ceremony

CoasterKing

Ya know, what is Disney really saving by cutting this 2 minute performance out?? They are not going to reduce the staff, as they are still needed to perform their other duties. I can't imagine that any special pay is involved because if you are the resident "fire twirler", it ought to be spelled out that your job also includes doing the lighting ceremony. :shrug:

Just doesn't make sense for Disney to be letting all the magic "disappear"!! Really, in all sincerity, it really is sad to see these things happening. :mad:

CoasterKing :king:

pilka214

this kind of thing is something disney has unfortunately been doing for a little while now.

a major thing that made Disney, Disney is that whole attention to detail, trying to make you feel like your really in another country or world.

and unfortunately in past years it seems as if they're trading detail for tinker bell and stich, and that doesn't amuse me at all.

MKCP 1985

I don't care if people here want to villify Kevin Yee, he's dead on - Declining by degrees indeed.

:rolleyes:

Toy Story Mania opens up in the Studios and the Polynesian Hotel drops a two minute torch lighting experience that 99% of the people at WDW have never heard of.

Sorry, Kevin Yee is dead on . . . arrival.

gus ghost

The Polynesian is certainly my favorite resort; Love the atmosphere, and it had a lot of little things that made this resort stand out. It's really a shame the little things are fading away. When more things like this fade away, it certainly makes me not want to pay the premium price; because other than location, there isn't really too much too much difference between resorts once the special things are removed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Electrical Water Pageant goes away also. That doesn't generate revenue.

Timmay

:rolleyes:

Toy Story Mania opens up in the Studios and the Polynesian Hotel drops a two minute torch lighting experience that 99% of the people at WDW have never heard of.

Sorry, Kevin Yee is dead on . . . arrival.

Stop with the common sense...it's only bound to confuse people.:p

dreamfinder

...and the Polynesian Hotel drops a two minute torch lighting experience that 99% of the people at WDW have never heard of.

But isn't that what made Disney special? The little touches that only affected a handful of people? If I want world class coasters or thrill rides Disney is about as far down my list of choices I can go. What's next, getting rid of personal interaction with characters? The 2 minutes the princess spent playing with your child isn't seen by well over 99% of the people who go to WDW, but things like that are probably why YOU go back. I can go to Six Flags for rude and uncaring staff, and reasonably well themed parks (at least the newer ones), but only Disney USED to have the little touches that made it special. The lei's in the Poly lobby for instance. Or the "1st Visit" buttons. If people don't speak up when little things are taken away, what happens when Disney runs out of little things to take away. And then say, your favorite character gets mothballed, a la Figzilla. Where does it stop?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But isn't that what made Disney special? The little touches that only affected a handful of people? If I want world class coasters or thrill rides Disney is about as far down my list of choices I can go. What's next, getting rid of personal interaction with characters? The 2 minutes the princess spent playing with your child isn't seen by well over 99% of the people who go to WDW, but things like that are probably why YOU go back. I can go to Six Flags for rude and uncaring staff, and reasonably well themed parks (at least the newer ones), but only Disney USED to have the little touches that made it special. The lei's in the Poly lobby for instance. Or the "1st Visit" buttons. If people don't speak up when little things are taken away, what happens when Disney runs out of little things to take away. And then say, your favorite character gets mothballed, a la Figzilla. Where does it stop?
I think you hit the nail on the head. While I do not really care for Yee's primarily Chicken Little attitude he does have a point and the title he used, "Declining by degrees" is 100% correct. What has always set Disney parks apart from the competition are the little details such as the gossip phone, the windows on main st, a french fry cart with a backstory, etc. The loss or of one or two of these things is no travesty but as the corpses begin to pile up the general public will eventually notice. Now I do not think that Disney will every become just another Six Flags style park but they are rapidly becoming less than they were and for what? A little bit better profit margin and pleased stockholders. If I could change one thing about Disney it would be to make it a privately owned company accountable only to it's customers and not to its investors.

SirNim

179180.jpg

Timmay

A little bit better profit margin and pleased stockholders.
That, sadly, is the way of the business world today. Do I think it is right? No. Do I like it? No. But I understand the reality of it...because no matter what we want, it is a reality. I am not saying we simply take it for what it is, not at all. But knowing what reality is sure gives you a much better perspective on how good things really are.

If I could change one thing about Disney it would be to make it a privately owned company accountable only to it's customers and not to its investors.
Again, we will never see this…at this point it is impossible. The toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain’t going back in. And I don't like this fact either.

But there has to be a point in which common sense takes hold. So many people here (not you, Yoda) count every single little thing that is taken away but turn a blind eye on improvements and additions. It simply isn’t good enough because it isn’t what they want. There still are little touches that make WDW the best…I think a few folks simply choose to ignore them because they would rather things be like they used to be.

Embrace and rejoice in what WDW is, because it is still the best out there…by far, regardless of what the “Walmart” gang think.

dreamfinder

That, sadly, is the way of the business world today. Do I think it is right? No. Do I like it? No. But I understand the reality of it...because no matter what we want, it is a reality.

It is the current reality. However, judging by the current trend of mistrusting non-physical financial gains (I.E. mortgage companies gaining profits by overlending to people who will never have the ability to pay it off), one can only hope that some bit of sanity will return the finance. Say not expecting 20% gains year after year. Every company MUST hit its limit on growth. Maybe 30/40 years ago, prior to a growth driven economy companies were satisfied doing the same amount of business as the year before, and providing a quality product, and caring for their employees. Will it happen? Probably not. But one can always wish upon a star.

But there has to be a point in which common sense takes hold. So many people here (not you, Yoda) count every single little thing that is taken away but turn a blind eye on improvements and additions. It simply isn’t good enough because it isn’t what they want. There still are little touches that make WDW the best…I think a few folks simply choose to ignore them because they would rather things be like they used to be.

Embrace and rejoice in what WDW is, because it is still the best out there…by far, regardless of what the “Walmart” gang think.

I don't think anyone has turned a blind eye on the recent additions/improvements/changes depending on your view, but are looking at the potential long term attractiveness of recent changes. Look at ToT. Great ride, but they felt a need to continuously change the ride to bring back crowds. Soarin' has been in WDW for what, 5 years? And people have been asking for ages when they will get a new movie in there. Stitch Escape anyone? But then look at Peter Pan or Snow White. Those have been there for decades, and still pull in hour long waits constantly.

I think the issue with the story or repeatability of a given attraction. TSMM is highly repeatable, and seems like it will have the legs that recent attractions haven't. Or look at the resorts even. The resorts that have a cohesive immersive story/theme like the Poly, AKL, or WL (where little things are/were prevalent) all have very very strong followings with repeat visits. Dropping down in theming to POFQ/DL you still have fans, just not as rabid. And then dropping down to the All Stars, the theme isn't immersive, and people have no real connection to the resort.

This is where Pixar excels. Their movies have had a story that people relate to and get drawn into. WDW at least seems to recognize this by building new attractions on Pixar stories. Yes, we then complain about the over Pixar-ifcation of the resort, but their story lines work. When Disney realizes that the story is what sells and attraction, not the latest and greatest tech they will do well. And the story gets "made" by the little touches. Any hotel can build its rooms to look like ceremonial longhouses, but by having the lighting, getting a lei in the lobby, those are what make people feel like they are in the islands.

jakeman

That, sadly, is the way of the business world today. Do I think it is right? No. Do I like it? No. But I understand the reality of it...because no matter what we want, it is a reality. I am not saying we simply take it for what it is, not at all. But knowing what reality is sure gives you a much better perspective on how good things really are.

Again, we will never see this…at this point it is impossible. The toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain’t going back in. And I don't like this fact either.

I agree completely. Perspective is one thing that is in short supply around here lately. When the Disney park looses something that a majority of even the most diehard fans didn't know about, is it really an issue? Couldn't the money saved by not having that brief show be better spent elsewhere?

SirNim

William Shatner once said,
"I can't understand why the price of gas suddenly rises when oil goes up, but takes months to go down long after oil falls. I can't get behind any of that."

Obviously, when the economy tanks, little services and traditions and ceremonies such as this are the first things to go. And they go immediately.

With gas prices, though, once oil falls, the prices gradually go back down to rational levels. With these torch-lighting-style cutbacks, I think it's doubtful they would ever be reinstated again. And that's the travesty. Once they're gone, they're gone, because modern corporate thinking has no mechanism for reintroducing these peripheral touches that are representative of a bygone era when quality truly mattered.

imagineer boy

William Shatner once said,
"I can't understand why the price of gas suddenly rises when oil goes up, but takes months to go down long after oil falls. I can't get behind any of that."

Obviously, when the economy tanks, little services and traditions and ceremonies such as this are the first things to go. And they go immediately.

With gas prices, though, once oil falls, the prices gradually go back down to rational levels. With these torch-lighting-style cutbacks, I think it's doubtful they would ever be reinstated again. And that's the travesty. Once they're gone, they're gone, because modern corporate thinking has no mechanism for reintroducing these peripheral touches that are representative of a bygone era when quality truly mattered.

Very well said.

The rides are alot like movies. Give the movie the most advanced SFX ever, but if the story is weak, the movie will flop. But if you meld the best SFX with a terriffic story (Terminator 2 and the Matrix are good examples) then the movie will be a success.

And deny it all you want, but its the little things that Disney is cutting back on, is what made it really special. I remember my first visit to WDW when I was four, and some of the things I really enjoyed most were the little things like the pavement lights and leapfrog fountains at Epcot and many other various things.

MKCP 1985

But isn't that what made Disney special? The little touches that only affected a handful of people?

You will find that only a very small number of people think THAT is the primary thing that makes Disney special. But their voice is loud on an internet discussion forum.

To the masses, what makes Disney special is that they have created a vacation resort where you can get away from the real world for a few hours, days or weeks and experience a variety of attractions with your family and feel safe.

I think you hit the nail on the head. While I do not really care for Yee's primarily Chicken Little attitude he does have a point and the title he used, "Declining by degrees" is 100% correct. What has always set Disney parks apart from the competition are the little details such as the gossip phone, the windows on main st, a french fry cart with a backstory, etc. The loss or of one or two of these things is no travesty but as the corpses begin to pile up the general public will eventually notice. Now I do not think that Disney will every become just another Six Flags style park but they are rapidly becoming less than they were and for what? A little bit better profit margin and pleased stockholders. If I could change one thing about Disney it would be to make it a privately owned company accountable only to it's customers and not to its investors.

I disagree. Most park guests have never heard of the gossip phone, the key under the mat at Muppets, or the hundreds of hidden Mickeys and they still pay rack rate for park tickets and have a great time. They love the major attractions, the parades and the fireworks. . . not to mention, they love new attractions!

It is easy to get sucked into the tide of support in a discussion forum thread and suddenly the closing (or not) of Carousel of Progress is the biggest deal in the world, when in reality CoP may not have even been a priority to see on the last or next trip down.

Step back and look at the Magic Kingdom of 1971 and compare to today's WDW resort. Where is the love for the risks taken, the innovation shown in growing that swamp surrounded Magic Kingdom into 4 major parks, 2 water parks, a boardwalk, a shopping district and numerous themed hotels?

The WDW resort has advanced by leaps and bounds. For every sacrificed torch ceremony, there's a new and exciting something else. Did you see all the new stuff going into the Contemporary? Do you really doubt there is something new coming to the Polynesian soon, if not this year or next?

I'd say the Polynesian resort in 2008 is MUCH BETTER than the Polynesian resort of 1971.

Declining by degrees? Not at all.

That's one fine looking camel. She seems to be carrying that straw just fine. Load her up with some more, Nim! :lol:

s8film40

Original Poster
How do you know this is true? Since this is the first I have heard of this ending??
:fork:
I heard this was happening from a friend who was staying at the hotel. I happened to be there the last night and again heard that it was the last performance from someone else, so I asked one of the Disney managers and they confirmed it. I later found out the reason for the ceremony going away was that they had decided to do away with the entertainers position (the guy beating the drums in the video), he also used to perform in Ohana. Later that night I just happened to be returning to the hotel at the same time he was leaving, I saw him walking out the door with a huge bouquet of balloons that said "you will be missed".

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
You will find that only a very small number of people think THAT is the primary thing that makes Disney special. But their voice is loud on an internet discussion forum.

To the masses, what makes Disney special is that they have created a vacation resort where you can get away from the real world for a few hours, days or weeks and experience a variety of attractions with your family and feel safe.

I disagree. Most park guests have never heard of the gossip phone, the key under the mat at Muppets, or the hundreds of hidden Mickeys and they still pay rack rate for park tickets and have a great time. They love the major attractions, the parades and the fireworks. . . not to mention, they love new attractions!

It is easy to get sucked into the tide of support in a discussion forum thread and suddenly the closing (or not) of Carousel of Progress is the biggest deal in the world, when in reality CoP may not have even been a priority to see on the last or next trip down.

Step back and look at the Magic Kingdom of 1971 and compare to today's WDW resort. Where is the love for the risks taken, the innovation shown in growing that swamp surrounded Magic Kingdom into 4 major parks, 2 water parks, a boardwalk, a shopping district and numerous themed hotels?

The WDW resort has advanced by leaps and bounds. For every sacrificed torch ceremony, there's a new and exciting something else. Did you see all the new stuff going into the Contemporary? Do you really doubt there is something new coming to the Polynesian soon, if not this year or next?

I'd say the Polynesian resort in 2008 is MUCH BETTER than the Polynesian resort of 1971.

That's one fine looking camel. She seems to be carrying that straw just fine. Load her up with some more, Nim! :lol:
Doug, I love when you speak your mind. What an incredibly intelligent discussion!

CTXRover

RETURN of Polynesian torch lighting ceremony

Hadn't seen this mentioned before, but the torch lighting ceremony appears to be back as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhDRPPywCQ&eurl=http://jefflangedvd.com/

Apparently Kaleo, one of the performers at the Polynesian who hosted the lighting ceremony before and also performed in the lounge outside Ohana's, was not rehired and thus the lighting ceremony was put on hold after his departure. I don't know if it is just for the busy holiday season, but the show with a new host ( who has been a long-time performer at Ohana's) is back in its entirety.

The video is interesting, as the fire twirler make a pretty noticeable mistake ;)

JiggleStuff

Oh thank GAWD one of the sages of the boards has swooped in to remind us there is only one version of
THE TRVTH
that today's WDW is the best thing EVAR!!!1!!1!11!!one Anyone who doesn't debase hisself before
THE TRVTH
is only good at whistling from betwixt his buttocks.

RECKON WITH IT BEFORE IT DESTROYS YOU!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom