End of Polynesian torch lighting ceremony

MKCP 1985

Oh thank GAWD one of the sages of the boards has swooped in to remind us there is only one version of
THE TRVTH
that today's WDW is the best thing EVAR!!!1!!1!11!!one Anyone who doesn't debase hisself before
THE TRVTH
is only good at whistling from betwixt his buttocks.

RECKON WITH IT BEFORE IT DESTROYS YOU!!!

I'm a sage of the board?

Cool!

I must have missed the announcement. :lol:

Seriously, dude - did you ever visit the Poly in the 70s or 80s? That hotel is much better today, and the same is true of the Contemporary.

That's just my opinion, of course, but since I am a sage of the board, you'd better believe it or there could be consequences. :lookaroun

Oh, did you miss the post right above yours, that the all important torch lighting ceremony appears to be back?

:ROFLOL:

tinktoo

These comments were posted along with the video:

"This video was taken on 12/26/08, the day the torch lighting re-started at the Disney's Polynesian Resort Featuring Lipoa. Kaleo has not been rehired."

I can't be 100% positive as the video is a little dark, but I think Lipoa may have been one of the cast from Spirit of Aloha. She certainly looks familiar to me. :)

JiggleStuff

Owww!!! So many big words. Hurts m' tiny head!

Ceremonies, restaurants, and shows are but fleeting details. If the Polynesian was demolished and its buildings replaced with surplus Boy Scout tents, it would still be the BEST POLYNESIAN EVAR!!!1!!1!one The WDW we have is always the best of all possible [WDW]orlds. That is
THE TRVTH
and beside it is only the void.

DisneyMusician2

So what happened to all the naysayers about the torch lighting going away?

Is it true that the ceremony is back?

And where are all those who said it was awful that it left celebrating something returning?

Just a curiosity.

Disneyfanman

So what happened to all the naysayers about the torch lighting going away?

Is it true that the ceremony is back?

And where are all those who said it was awful that it left celebrating something returning?

Just a curiosity.

That's kind of the way it frequently is around here. I love this site, but it always seems like everyone is looking for the worst and then sitting on the sidelines when it doesn't happen.

I like some changes, dislike others, but I vote with my business.

JeffH

things come, things go...things change, get over it.

Let's see, the whole premise that "WDW is becoming Walmart" was based on a bad rumor?:brick: Figures, I've always found that the Disney purists grasp of reality (and facts) were greatly lacking.
Like it was mentioned that "the "1st Visit" buttons" were gone (another detail lost)?!? When in reality those "1st Visit" buttons were one of the new "little details" added about a year ago and I saw them on my recent Dec 12th visit.
Somethings come somethings go (or in this case neither left), things change...we need to keep things in perspective. WDW has never been a better place than it is now. WDW has never been more special than it is today. If you simply compare what has gone away with what has been added over the years (including the "little things") I'm sure the scales weigh heavily towards the additions.
Sure I miss some things that have gone away, both big and little, but it's hard to argue with even just a few of the sheer magical things that have been added that keep Disney leaps and bounds more special than any other place...just to name a few:
Wishes (not so new, but is bigger and more amazing than any previous show)
The new castle xmas lights, a new level of magic at Xmas
BBBoutique in the castle, where you can have your kid made up for the most special day in your life
They now put your name on your Birthday buttons
A calvalcade of characters throughout the park (many more than ever)
Tinkerbell in toontown, where you shrink down to her world
The most major upgrades to the Haunted Mansion ever

Would anyone like to list some more additions and new details to compare to any of the deletions and lost details? I'm sure that in both areas WDW is way in the plus side of additions and new details.

We've been to WDW hundreds of times, finally afforded a 4-night Disney Wonder Cruise 5/1/8, and just came back from a 7-night Xmas Magic Disney Cruise, and joined the Disney Vacation Club...I'm confident that Disney will still be Disney when my grandkids are grown.

Skipper Dan

Please excuse me ignorance, but does this mean that the torches will no longer be lit around the resort? Or is has just the "ceremony" alone been canceled?

NiarrNDisney

Polynesian Luau Torches set the scene for your outdoor partys with beautiful romantic flickering yellow light and dancing shadows. Polynesian Luau Torches look extra dramatic when the flame can be reflected on water. The beautiful large flames of these permanant gas torches are stunning by the pool or beach.
Gas Luau Torch flame heads mount on a standard 3 inch gas lamp post, which we can provide to you. (Posts sold seperately.) A number of our customers mount the torch heads on custom crafted mounting installations. For example; torches have been installed on top of posts made of rock, and torches have been integrated in garden ponds waterfall fountains. Many of our torches enhance the ambiance of fine resorts and restaraunts

WHAT THE! Thread Bump is this?

Am I the only person who feels like I'm reading an add in a Skymall Catalog?

Rob562

Oh Dear :( I'd only just found out about it and was planning it in to our honeymoon.

Apparently you didn't read the ENTIRE thread, and missed the post two above yours where it was stated that the ceremony was re-instated a few weeks later... :shrug:

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom