News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

PREMiERdrum

AFAIK there will be animals in the land. How many and whether there are new-to-DAK species is a different question. I believe we will get at least one new species. It’s a pretty easy bone to throw to the fans who want it to actually fit in DAK. Highly doubt any big cats. They’d want an exhibit at least as big as San Diego Zoo’s, which is not small.
Capybaras, monkeys, and birds is what I've heard.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Don't want to raise any hopes, but it seems the animal care team thinks jaguars could work, if you read the tweet.
Not in any plans I’ve heard. The animal care team is certainly capable of caring for jaguars and I’m sure they’d love them, but they don’t design the theme park. There’s no space set aside for an exhibit that large.

I’ll be happy with the R.O.U.S.s 😀

Brer Panther

Okay, the fact that there's a chance we'll actually be getting new animals makes me feel a bit better. I'd be shocked if Iger actually approved of it, though.

"Originally, the land was approved with no animals" - not surprised by that.

LSLS

The original plans seriously called for NO animals in the land? Whoever made the original plans should not be allowed to design any more projects if that's true.

Everyone is going back and forth on Indy, but I'm slightly optimistic on it (slightly because Disney has lost my good will on them doing things correctly. It should fit well, but, you know...). I'm going to be the pessimist on Encanto. I just don't see it at all, and I don't have faith in them coming up with a good story to make it work.

Ichabod Crane

I still think Encanto will be an omnimover rather than trackless or a boat.

I will also say that the Indy retheme seems to have a lot more confidence behind it than TBA ever did.

Glad they seem to be in the direction of adding animals now, kind of crazy that’s something that had to be “added” but no harm no foul since it’s still design phase.

As for the animals themselves jaguars would be very very tough given the areas size restraints and the high standards that would come from Disney and big cat exhibits. Luckily things like a variety of monkeys, capybaras, and tapirs should be very doable.

PREMiERdrum

A tiny bit of clarity... I'm not sure it's 100% accurate to say that Tropical Americas was "first approved without animal exhibits." This concept started pretty fast and loose as a variety of ideas after the weird, Blue Sky Zootopia and Moana candy.

Once the attraction plans of Encanto new build, Dinosaur retheme into IJ, some sort of spinner, and service/support facility rethemes came into focus, planning work began with AK's care team to plot out transitions for the onsite animals. I don't think they knew at this point if the animal exhibits were to be included or not, but they knew they'd have to transition existing residents out of the area for construction... and I think this is where the "first approved without animals" bit came from.

I'm still expecting a few small, garden style exhibits for Capys and maybe some others near the casita, and perhaps some monkeys in the transition up to IJ. For reference, look to the right of the land's entrance arch in the new art...

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Indiana Jones, great friend and conservator of animals.

tumblr_oir3k1hBG41qmob6ro1_500.gif
He’s clearly lighting the way for them to leave the tomb! :)

EDIT: In all seriousness though, in my head it’s not hard to marry Indy and some animal based theme. Sure, judging by the GIF it may seem awkward but definitely not impossible in fact I can think of a few ways off the top of my head.

Magenta Panther

Why can't we have a Pride Lands or Jungle Book dark ride in AK? Instead of Encanto? The only connection to animals with that IP is that the little kid can talk to animals. That's it. Jungle Book and Pride Lands feature actual talking animals that are wild. Seems a better fit to me, but oh well, we all know how much The Robert Iger Company feels about appropriate IP locations these days...

Magenta Panther

He’s clearly lighting the way for them to leave the tomb! :)

EDIT: In all seriousness though, in my head it’s not hard to marry Indy and some animal based theme. Sure, judging by the GIF it may seem awkward but definitely not impossible in fact I can think of a few ways off the top of my head.

Like what? The fact that Indy's afraid of snakes?

Surferboy567

Like what? The fact that Indy's afraid of snakes?
Deep in the tropical americas…Indiana Jones is in search of the jaugarian stone. This stone has supernatural properties that when interfered with brings death and destruction to the land along with its inhabitants. Indiana Jones leads a team of intrepid adventurers though the forest in search of the stone to restore the animals and forest to its rightful state.

That took me two seconds to come up with. I imagine WDI shouldn’t have a hard time.

EDIT: Oh, and in Temple of Doom he basically does this with the Sankara Stones.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I agree that getting Jaguars is probably not going to happen, but it would be cool to have one big animal attraction anchoring the land. Africa has the Lion, Asia has the Tigers so each of the other two lands (not including Avatar) has their giant cats represented, this South American styled land should have their big cat as well. But I guess I will have to settle for the noble Capybara...

Surferboy567

Why can't we have a Pride Lands or Jungle Book dark ride in AK? Instead of Encanto?
Funny you mention that. It’s probably coming, and like I’ve said many times Lion King definitely deserves a spot. Though, if we can have both why not?

PREMiERdrum

it would be cool to have one big animal attraction anchoring the land. Africa has the Lion,
While it exceeds standards as set by the AZA, the relatively tiny size of the lion enclosure still surprises me. The dogbone shape and enhanced rockwork surely improve sight control from the trucks, its 5,000ish sq ft area is dwarfed by every other large mammal habitat on property.

ToTBellHop

While it exceeds standards as set by the AZA, the relatively tiny size of the lion enclosure still surprises me. The dogbone shape and enhanced rockwork surely improve sight control from the trucks, its 5,000ish sq ft area is dwarfed by every other large mammal habitat on property.
All you need for a happy kitty is to throw a dead rat in a bucket of water, freeze it, and voila! Hours of Ratsickle enjoyment followed by a nap.

The lions don’t show any anxious big cat behaviors as far as I’ve ever noticed. Honestly, the tigers do. Surprisingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom