News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SpectreJordan

Yeah, I don't get the narrative that Galaxy's Edge is a flop. It's not a game changer like Hogsmeade was; but I don't see how any themed land could be at that level anymore, things can't be shaken up that much often.

The next thing I can see being on that level is Epic Universe but that's an entire park.

MrPromey

I wish they'd make a Countdown to Extinction movie. It'd be a pretty fun premise for an adventure movie. They just need to get someone with some talent & vision for it like the Pirates trilogy had. Kind of a tall order for Disney nowadays though.

One flop, that is Disney's own fault in multiple ways, doesn't negate the massive success of the other four movies (Yes, even Skull was a big hit). It also doesn't negate how the Disneyland Indy ride is one of the most beloved Disney rides in the world.

I'd say Indy is a more reasonable choice for a new ride than something recent that's only had one movie. It's proven to be stable outside of Disney's recent failure.
When was the last time you watched the original Jones movies?

I ask because revisiting them last year, I was sort of surprised both that Disney was leaning into them and also that they hadn't gotten more flack for it.

By today's standards, the originals seem both misogynistic and insensitive to any culture where people's skin isn't lily-white.

There is dialog in the first one that is hard not to interpret as Jones having an affair with his leading lady when she was a minor - an affair which she now views as him taking advantage of her before leaving her... otherwise known as statutory rape.

I'm not picking on the movies. They're classics and a product of their times and they were big experiences of my childhood.

I'm not arguing they should be "canceled" or anything of the sort or signaling them out as really different in these ways from a lot of other stuff both from that era of movie making and from that sort of classic adventure genre.

It just surprises me more than a little that Disney with all the other things they seem to want to bury or redo for modern audiences, seem to be doubling-down on this one.

I finally watched the newest Indy on D+ and have to say, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, I thought it was better than Crystal Skull.

... Notice though how it has the same formula as the originals with an included female lead but this time they managed to create a situation where there was a closeness and no way for it to be a love interest? To me, that signals that someone in corporate is aware of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

When was the last time you watched the original Jones movies?

I ask because revisiting them last year, I was sort of surprised both that Disney was leaning into them and also that they hadn't gotten more flack for it.

By today's standards, the originals seem both misogynistic and insensitive to any culture where people's skin isn't lily-white.

There is dialog in the first one that is hard not to interpret as Jones having an affair with his leading lady when she was a minor - an affair which she now views as him taking advantage of her... otherwise known as statutory rape.

I'm not picking on the movies. They're classics and a product of their times and they were big experiences of my childhood.

I'm not arguing they should be "canceled" or anything of the sort or signaling them out as really different in these ways from a lot of other stuff both from that era of movie making and from that sort of classic adventure genre.

It just surprises me more than a little that Disney with all the other things they seem to want to bury or redo for modern audiences, seem to be doubling-down on this one.

I finally watched the newest Indy on D+ and have to say, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, I thought it was better than Crystal Skull.

... Notice though how it has the same formula as the originals with an included female lead but this time they managed to create a situation where there was a closeness and no way for it to be a love interest? To me, that signals that someone in corporate is aware of what I'm talking about.
I've rewatched them all in the past year; I still love them just as much as I ever did.

I do agree that there's some sus stuff in them. But I think most of it can be easily ignored since a lot of it is just mentioned in passing. Temple of Doom reeeeeeally should've stressed that those weren't your average Indians though & that they were cultists. There was a line mentioning that during the infamous dinner scene that was cut for some reason.

Poseidon Quest

Yeah, I don't get the narrative that Galaxy's Edge is a flop.

Every time I visit Disneyland it's consistently busy, and Galaxy's Edge is always empty compared to the rest of the park. Rise always has a decent wait, but it's usually lower than Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion (with Nightmare Before Christmas overlay), Matterhorn and a handful of others. Otherwise, it's the place where you go to get away from crowds.

I think that it appears more popular in Hollywood Studios because it's a park that attracts a lot of people with much of its new things, but it's also a park that handles capacity extremely poorly, giving the illusion that its choices are popular. Slinky Dog Dash would never be an 80 minute wait in a well balanced park with plenty of capacity and yet... the park cannot handle its crowds.

I do wonder how Hollywood Studios will be like in 5 years once the novelty of "new" things dies off.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Yeah, I don't get the narrative that Galaxy's Edge is a flop. It's not a game changer like Hogsmeade was; but I don't see how any themed land could be at that level anymore, things can't be shaken up that much often.

The next thing I can see being on that level is Epic Universe but that's an entire park.
Galaxy's Edge is jammed because it's incredibly unique, but it would have had another level of success if it had been themed to the Original Trilogy and not the new ones. There would have been a timelessness to it that is sorely lacking now. It already feels stale to me.

Animaniac93-98

Every time I visit Disneyland it's consistently busy, and Galaxy's Edge is always empty compared to the rest of the park. Rise always has a decent wait, but it's usually lower than Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion (with Nightmare Before Christmas overlay), Matterhorn and a handful of others. Otherwise, it's the place where you go to get away from crowds.

I think that it appears more popular in Hollywood Studios because it's a park that attracts a lot of people with much of its new things, but it's also a park that handles capacity extremely poorly, giving the illusion that its choices are popular. Slinky Dog Dash would never be an 80 minute wait in a well balanced park with plenty of capacity and yet... the park cannot handle its crowds.

I do wonder how Hollywood Studios will be like in 5 years once the novelty of "new" things dies off.

Putting things in perspective, Disneyland has about 4x the number of rides DHS does.

Alien Swirling Saucers is one of the top 10 most popular rides at DHS because there aren't even 10 rides to begin with.

Rich Brownn

I still can't get over how they're giving Indiana Jones, who's recent film is now sitting alongside John Carter as "one of the biggest flops of all time" is getting a whole ing land. Surely we can get Chicken Little in Epcot now, right?
The problem wasn't the character's popularity - it was the 12th highest grossing film of the year. It was the insane budget that made it impossible to recoup its cost.

Fido Chuckwagon

Galaxy’s Edge is not a flop. The Galactic Failcruiser was a flop, but that was largely due to their insane pricing model for such a niche product.

TheMaxRebo

Definitely not a flop - just think if all they have made from lightsabers, droids, food, etc

And the character interactions there are fun, the rides, when they work are pretty darn great

Super easy to focus on what the land isn't and ways it could have been better but we really enjoy it and always see it quite busy

That said, definitely lessons to be learned from it and ways future lands can be better

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And adding on to that, Disneyland Resort has more rides than Disney World (and has a great balance of ride types too).
Nope. The two parks in the DLR have as many *rides* as the four parks of WDW (give or take one or two temporarily down or in process of being built).

WDW as a lot more non-ride attractions.

RSoxNo1

Galaxy's Edge, and more specifically Rise of the Resistance drive attendance for that park. The narrative stems from initial perceptions of the land without Rise of the Resistance.

drizgirl

Galaxy's Edge, and more specifically Rise of the Resistance drive attendance for that park. The narrative stems from initial perceptions of the land without Rise of the Resistance.
My impression is from visiting about a month after it opened. The ride was outstanding. The land felt sterile and lifeless to me. I think it would have been a lot better as originally proposed. But like they do so often, they cut too much from the original plans.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Well he’s also 80 lol. Nobody wants to see that. Not to mention wrapping up his character/ emotional arc up nicely with his wife.

I thought Dial of Destiny was pretty good. At the very least better than Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom.

TheMaxRebo

Well he’s also 80 lol. Nobody wants to see that. Not to mention wrapping up his character/ emotional arc up nicely with his wife.

I thought Dial of Destiny was pretty good. At the very least better than Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom.

I just watched this for the first time a few days ago and really enjoyed the overall story and plot and action - other than all the elder abuse

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think that Indiana Jones isn't really a standard IP or franchise. It's a genre. It's a stand in for throwback adventure serial inspired works. Uncharted, Mummy, Tomb Raider, The Librarian, National Treasure, etc.

It doesn't matter how many Indiana Jones films flop or are poorly received, because "Indiana Jones" is just a stand in for "Adventure through wild ruins in a far off locale to find a mystical treasure." Generally with a bit of nazi punching mixed it. Generally the treasure is being searched for to preserve it and save the local culture and/or world.

TheMaxRebo

I think that Indiana Jones isn't really a standard IP or franchise. It's a genre. It's a stand in for throwback adventure serial inspired works. Uncharted, Mummy, Tomb Raider, The Librarian, National Treasure, etc.

It doesn't matter how many Indiana Jones films flop or are poorly received, because "Indiana Jones" is just a stand in for "Adventure through wild ruins in a far off locale to find a mystical treasure." Generally with a bit of nazi punching mixed it. Generally the treasure is being searched for to preserve it and save the local culture and/or world.

I think that is a fair and good point - and if they did an Indiana Jones attraction/mini-land it would feel just as much of any of those other properties or just a general "retro-Adventure" type attraction, just with the Disney owned IP as the name

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom