News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Incomudro

What world does that make any sense? WDW comes up with a great and popular idea for a ride/land, and they should restrict it to only one location? Why would a business do that? Especially when 80-90 (and I am being conservative here I believe) of your customers attending US parks are never going to go to China. So you’re making horrible business decisions and drastically reducing the ability of customers to experience great attractions because…..why? So by that reasoning there should only be 1 space mountain? 1 haunted mansion or pirates of the Caribbean? Hell should Mickey only be allowed to appear at one park, and which one should it be?

As to you HS point, who cares? You tried to say HS had been neglected. Spending millions and millions of dollars and creating 2 brand new lands, even if they weren’t on virgin ground is not neglecting a park. If anything it would be more accurate to say over the past several years Hs got the most focus. No other park since Pandora in AK had gotten an entire new land, HS got 2, and a new major attaction in addition to them.
I'm with you 100%, as I often roll my eyes at people who complain about "cloned rides."
The two Disney Parks in the US are literally on opposite coasts of the country.
WDW was designed to give east coast residents what was on the west coast.
The other parks are in different countries.

mattpeto

To say it is unnatural for dragons to speak because animals don't speak is the equivalent of saying it is unnatural for platypuses to lay eggs because mammals don't lay eggs.

Anyway, obviously Zootopia has no place in Animal Kingdom and I'm glad it's not happening.
Well tell that to the Tree of Life…

yensidtlaw1969

The park as originally conceived was going to include a Fantasia ride that would have nothing to do with conservation or man’s relationship to the animal world.

I think people too readily buy the claim that Animal Kingdom is defined by some noble mission to benefit nature. It isn’t; it’s a zoo designed for human entertainment.
The Fantasia attraction was to feature fictional animals that behave like animals. That's pretty different from Zootopia, where the fictional animals behave like humans.

LittleBuford

The Fantasia attraction was to feature fictional animals that behave like animals. That's pretty different from Zootopia, where the fictional animals behave like humans.
I didn’t mention it to justify a Zootopia land but rather to respond to the claim that Animal Kingdom should limit its mission to conservationism.

yensidtlaw1969

I didn’t mention it to justify a Zootopia land but rather to respond to the claim that Animal Kingdom should limit its mission to conservationism.
Apologies, my wires must have gotten crossed.

I think it is fair to say that Beastly Kingdom if built would likely have had some conservationist sensibilities to it, given that it's designers have managed to work those into basically every project within the park. They've shown more than once that they believe there are valuable lessons we can learn about the natural world from mythical animals.

TheMaxRebo

That's fair and maybe I and others take it too far - just saying the park isn't simply "oh it has animals, it fits" - when things like Kali River don't have any animals but fit because of the storyline of deforestation, but Zootopia really doesn't as it has animals working at the DMV

LittleBuford

Apologies, my wires must have gotten crossed.

I think it is fair to say that Beastly Kingdom if built would likely have had some conservationist sensibilities to it, given that it's designers have managed to work those into basically every project within the park. They've shown more than once that they believe there are valuable lessons we can learn about the natural world from mythical animals.
No need to apologise. I didn’t express any opposition to the Zootopia theme, so it was easy to misinterpret me. I don’t feel strongly about it one way or the other because of my general ambivalence towards Animal Kingdom. Except for one time a few years ago, my partner and I always skip it, because we find the sight of captive animals too depressing.

Bocabear

A Fantasia Ride in DHS would be a great fit... not so much for Animal Kingdom...
No need to apologise. I didn’t express any opposition to the Zootopia theme, so it was easy to misinterpret me. I don’t feel strongly about it one way or the other because of my general ambivalence towards Animal Kingdom. Except for one time a few years ago, my partner and I always skip it, because we find the sight of captive animals too depressing.
I can agree with that!! Me too ... What I did like about DAK was at least a lot of the enclosures were done in a way that didn't look confining... and I really enjoy the Maharajah Jungle Trek...nut in general I don't care much for zoos....

SirLink

A Fantasia Ride in DHS would be a great fit... not so much for Animal Kingdom...

I can agree with that!! Me too ... What I did like about DAK was at least a lot of the enclosures were done in a way that didn't look confining... and I really enjoy the Maharajah Jungle Trek...nut in general I don't care much for zoos....
Yet there was one coming with Beastly Kingdomme to DAK before the budget was cut and all we got was Camp M-M

Haymarket2008

Pandora fits the spot the Beastly Kingdom was supposed to fill.

Fantastical land (with a dragon-esque creature at its center). I would argue that Pandora might even fit in more with the park than Beastly Kingdom would have. Pandora is a fleshed out culture with strong conservationist messaging, a la the lands of Asia and Africa.

Zootopia doesn't fit in the park in a large way. I don't mind it being presented at the Tree of Life. It seems like they will be leaning into the natural biomes aspect of the story, and a 3D show is harmless and fun. Doesn't effect the park's messaging any more than Tough to be a Bug would.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
AK is about aliens also. I vote for an Onward attraction. Pant less to appease the purists.
I don't consider Avatar much different than a land based on mythological creatures... It's just in a modern movie format with updated technology instead of mythical ancient beasts on our own planet. They did a great job tying Avatarland in with what shouldn't have tied into AK...

I have no confidence in them doing that anymore though.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Just spoke with someone in the know...I don't often claim this, but I actually spoke to someone with firsthand knowledge (see discussion of when TRON was going to open if you don't believe my source's track record). The Indiana Jones project in AK is still in development, but it is A) not the Disneyland version cloned and B) not using the Dinosaur animatronics. They are developing something completely original for Indiana Jones in Animal Kingdom.

I've got more little tidbits to share in other threads...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom