News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

I always wonder (and this is true of any zoo in the south)—are animals that have evolved to live in the arctic healthy when it’s over 90 degrees for 6 months of the year?
San Diego Zoo has Pandas and Grizzlies. That being said, your point is well taken. I'm guessing that is one of many reasons we won't see a significant bear presence in DAK. Tropical Americas makes a ton of sense, I just hope they actually supplement what we've seen with live animals.

UNCgolf

San Diego Zoo has Pandas and Grizzlies. That being said, your point is well taken. I'm guessing that is one of many reasons we won't see a significant bear presence in DAK. Tropical Americas makes a ton of sense, I just hope they actually supplement what we've seen with live animals.

San Diego doesn't really get that hot (or cold). It's basically in the mid 60s to mid 70s year round.

The NC Zoo has polar bears, though, and there can be many weeks of 90+ weather in the summer there. I think they have a cooled swimming pool as well as access to an air conditioned indoor area whenever they want.

Brer Panther

I suppose they could have a hypothetical arctic area be completely indoors... it'd allow them to keep things at a temperature the polar bears and animals can handle.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
DAK Presents: Indiana Jones and the ECV Scooter of DOOM.

It will employ a new queuing technology to reduce wait times. I understand there will be a Phoebe Waller-Bridge AA in the ride queue to ensure that guests stay far away.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Removing dinosaurs from Animal Kingdom imo is wrong. Boys love dinosaurs. They could redo that ride to be less scary and less bumpy and then build some Indiana jones ride if they have to using other tech

The park needs MORE rides but I think Disney just enjoys replacing existing ones rather than maintain them

jeanericuser001

I think it was just time for dinosaur to go extinct. This ride has so many different problems that its impossible to ever get it working as good as it did when it first started. The animatronics in some cases are malfunctioning as bad as disco yeti. The vehicles are dated. It doesn't draw nearly the crowds it use to. Even the T-Rex cafe likely is a bigger draw than that ride. If they scrap it and start fresh they could easily make a good indiana jones ride though it all depends on a number of factors. Are we getting a new story or revisit of one of the films? Will this be an edutainment ride, dark ride, or a thrill ride? What decisions they make could make this the next flights of passage level attraction or another navi river adventure.

None of this makes any thematic sense. I believe they need to either upgrade/fix Dinoland or come up with a new concept to replace the land that actually makes sense for AnImAl KiNgDoM.

sedati

While I loved Dinosaur, the pairing of giant creatures and speed is counter intuitive. Grandeur needs time. Even the Yeti is flawed by concept. If you're going to go big, you need more than fleeting seconds. I dearly wish they would actually commit to a proper land of prehistoric giants, but things as they are have me okay with the coming changes.

SCOTLORR

Not much in this article that we don't already know, but it's noteworthy that the Indiana Jones/South America re-theme of DinoLand has been mentioned outside of the D23 press event, fwiw. That can't be said about the Moana announcement at D23 2022.

osian

I think it was just time for dinosaur to go extinct. This ride has so many different problems that its impossible to ever get it working as good as it did when it first started. The animatronics in some cases are malfunctioning as bad as disco yeti [snip] If they scrap it and start fresh they could easily make a good indiana jones ride

Do you have a problem with the theme or the fact that it's needs mechanical maintenance? In other words, if the animatronics are broken, the vehicle is dated, it doesn't work as good as it did when it opened, why will a change of theme rectify that? Is there something about Indiana Jones that would mean the animatronics never break or that the ride would never need maintaining? If they start afresh, why couldn't it be rebuilt as a dinosaur theme with all the modern embellishments and animatronics that more recent attractions have been given (albeit Rise continually has technical issues with its animatronics and effects, perhaps that needs scrapping too?).

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

Not much in this article that we don't already know, but it's noteworthy that the Indiana Jones/South America re-theme of DinoLand has been mentioned outside of the D23 press event, fwiw. That can't be said about the Moana announcement at D23 2022.
At this point, Disney may legitimately be in trouble as a company. They can’t make a good movie to save their lives, it’s just underperformance and bomb after underperformance and bomb. They just finished a disastrous writer’s/actor’s strike that means nothing int he pipelines for the foreseeable future. They are extremely cash-poor and their streaming service continues to lose money. Their domestic parks division is contracting. I think they’ll say anything in the media right now to get attention off of all of that, but I really don’t know about their future as a company at this point.

yensidtlaw1969

While I loved Dinosaur, the pairing of giant creatures and speed is counter intuitive. Grandeur needs time. Even the Yeti is flawed by concept. If you're going to go big, you need more than fleeting seconds. I dearly wish they would actually commit to a proper land of prehistoric giants, but things as they are have me okay with the coming changes.
The Yeti is sort of its own thing there - you're meant by the end to wonder if you really even saw what you just saw. Being a mythical creature you're supposed to feel as if you've only gotten a fleeting glimpse to take away, lucky to have seen it at all given that its existence is unverified, but that within that glimpse he was a fully believable as a real and ferocious creature. Of course this has been completely kneecapped by the figure's operational status, which is tragic.

Dinosaur takes a different approach, where it lets you stop and see the big bad creature multiple times - but how scary is an enormous, sharp-toothed Dinosaur if you keep running into it and he never seems to "get you"? The speed is meant to amp up the thrill and provide a base level of fear the Carnotaurus can push you over the top from. We do get a brief moment closer to "grandeur" at the beginning with the Triceratops, but it's pretty clear the goal here isn't to revel in the majesty of these creatures.

I do agree that there is a void that deserves to be filled where guests are given the opportunity to take in the sheer awesomeness of realistic, full-size Dinosaurs, especially since losing Universe of Energy. UoE was never perfect when it came to fulfilling that type of experience, but it was something rather than nothing. That Disney wants to divest further from Dinosaurs in their theme parks is such a boneheaded mistake - there's so much creative potential, and an eternal appetite for the chance to see Dinos "for real".

Yes, they have to avoid and compete with Jurassic Park up the road, but given that Universal's Dinosaur offerings fall short of delivering the kind of awe-inspiring experience there's so much potential for, Disney should be doubling down on Dinos rather than throwing in the towel.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I am confused. How did that article change anything? It seems like another vague “we might building Indiana Jones. But we might not”

Disney is so frustrating. Just announce something and get those shovels digging
Yeah but he was saying that in September, it was a 50% chance of happening. Now it’s a 52% chance. I’ll leave it to our staff mathematicians to determine when it will hit 100%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom