News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Same - along with a TS restaurant in the area - would think between that revenue and what would come from ILL (or increased G+ demand) from the 3rd attraction it could provide sufficient return. Plus increase demand in the evening witch keeps people in the park, buying food, etc.
@lentesta may be able to speak to this a little better than myself, but on a recent show he indicated that the number of Lightning Lane's distributed per hour per attraction is "less than 300". Assuming that also applies to the Individual Lightning Lane attractions, the amount of ILL money is probably not as substantial as we once thought.

Take a $20 a head attraction like Rise of the Resistance as an example: $20*300 per hour*12 hours*365 = $26,280,000. That's not nothing, but it's also not such a huge number that it's completely moving the needle.

SilentWindODoom

Changes at DAK are gaining traction. For better or worse.

Any chance you'd be willing to share if there's any possibility of animal exhibits in these changes? New SA species? Retention of the gators? Full cleaning house?

Also (not for Martin, but just a general thought), I just had the thought when dining was brought up... We're all assuming some South American cuisine is going to be coming, right? Restaurantasaurus is Animal Kingdom's big safe space culinarily (like Cosmic Ray's, Electric Umbrella, or Sunset Market). I wonder if they plan on keeping the kid-safe options there alongside new things, moving it to Flametree or Pizzafari, or just retheming and keeping a burger joint in the middle of the Amazon.

SplashJacket

@lentesta may be able to speak to this a little better than myself, but on a recent show he indicated that the number of Lightning Lane's distributed per hour per attraction is "less than 300". Assuming that also applies to the Individual Lightning Lane attractions, the amount of ILL money is probably not as substantial as we once thought.

Take a $20 a head attraction like Rise of the Resistance as an example: $20*300 per hour*12 hours*365 = $26,280,000. That's not nothing, but it's also not such a huge number that it's completely moving the needle.
Guardians pumped through ~400 per hour over a relatively small sample. Or $24.5 million annually, which was a lot lower than I originally suspected, and like you said, a lower impact. It’s the difference between paying for new attractions and simply helping justify them. The former would guarantee a constant stream of new attractions (since they could always be chasing that ILL), so it’s interesting.

RSoxNo1

Guardians pumped through ~400 per hour over a relatively small sample. Or $24.5 million annually, which was a lot lower than I originally suspected, and like you said, a lower impact. It’s the difference between paying for new attractions and simply helping justify them. The former would guarantee a constant stream of new attractions (since they could always be chasing that ILL), so it’s interesting.
At that same time, all this represents is a direct line of income attributable to the attraction. That being said, I'm sure Disney has some sort of internal formula to determine what percentage of the gate is attributable to each attraction, just like they probably have some sort of internal formula to determine what percentage of the Disney+ income is attributable to each title. In 2007 when DAK's attendance increased by 1 million guests I'm guessing they have a pretty strong idea what percentage of that increase was due to Finding Nemo the Musical and what percentage was due to Expedition Everest.

Case in point. Let's assume the $25 million number for a ride like Rise of the Resistance. That attraction by itself has driven traffic to that park to the point of it being moderately problematic. The attraction has undoubtedly been worth more than $25 million a year to park ops.

RSoxNo1

If they are serious about not building a 5th park then the whole of ‘behind thunder mountain’ needs to be the Villians land.

Animal Kingdom needs a lot more than the Dinoland we work. It will be a net gain of 1 attraction when said and done isn’t it? Nice land themes are all well and good but the parks need capacity..

I wonder if the proposed Lion King land for Paris will get cloned for AK too
What was the proposed Lion King land for Paris? I'd welcome a small flat ride or even a dark ride near the theater.

RSoxNo1

There is no way that major attractions with ILL only distribute 300 ILLs per hour. Not with the ratios Disney does. It’s 50% of the capacity minimum.
I was of the impression that it was 30-60% of an attraction's capacity with the rest being made up by DAS, make goods and tours. But Per Len the distribution is much lower because the other items are so high.

Andrew25

ILL and increased attendance are not the only way to measure an attraction's success. If an attraction can increase the number of offerings in a park, allowing guests to stay longer in the park, that's more potential F&B & merch sales.

EricsBiscuit

I was of the impression that it was 30-60% of an attraction's capacity with the rest being made up by DAS, make goods and tours. But Per Len the distribution is much lower because the other items are so high.
I still think that 30% is way too low. On rides like Peter Pan, most of the day the ratio is 10 LL / 1 standby. It’s ridiculous.

SpectreJordan

If they are serious about not building a 5th park then the whole of ‘behind thunder mountain’ needs to be the Villians land.

Animal Kingdom needs a lot more than the Dinoland we work. It will be a net gain of 1 attraction when said and done isn’t it? Nice land themes are all well and good but the parks need capacity..

I wonder if the proposed Lion King land for Paris will get cloned for AK too
I'd love for a bigger Lion King presence in DAK but where would that go? AFAIK, most of the expansion pads are near Asia or Pandora. It'd be very odd to not have the Pride Lands connected to the existing Africa land.

doctornick

If it’s the ideas they presented in September I call that for better. A region based concept with quality theming is a good thing and a massive upgrade over what has existed there since day one.

I think the general concepts presented at Destination D23 were fine. How good would depend on what exactly the Encanto attraction would entail, but I don't really have a problem with the at DAK the way some do.

My bigger complaint would be the loss of Dinosaurs at DAK as they (and other extinct creatures) should have a place at the park. I'd prefer it if the South America area were an addition and Dinoland remained as is.

I also was reasonably on board with an Oceania land anchored by the Moana boat ride and Nemo. Just thought Zootopia as a land was a stupid idea for DAK.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom