News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DisneyHead123

Mass extinction is the central conflict on Dinosaur
Yes but it's still a ride. Where, by definition, everything is going to go the exact same way each time. Unless the ride breaks down or something goes wrong, like an unruly guest causing problems.

I'm probably not doing a good job describing what I mean by "unpredictable". Rohdes describes it better by leaps and bounds - if I could find the Instagram post I'm thinking of I would post it but I don't have great WiFi at the moment and scrolling through all those posts would take a million years. I think it was around July 2021 though.

ctrlaltdel

I really like Dinosaur, but the Indy and overall retheme makes a lot of sense. Dinoland doesn't really fit in with the rest of the park (which is my favorite designed of all WDW parks).

I would love in the future to have a big budget dinosaur land back in AK, but that likely requires a successful Disney-owned IP tie-in to make happen.

JMcMahonEsq

Genuine question - if they had replaced the coaster with a cheesy Dino dark ride - think classic like Mr. Toad with Dino’s - and really made the place feel alive with extra carnival games and carnival entertainment like jugglers, etc. - how would that be seen?
I think the dark ride thought, might have had some promise to the area. But I just don't know if the overall Carnival theme would work.

Personal opinion only, but when we first brought our kids to AK (it wasn't there when I was going as a kid) with so much that WDW offers, we just weren't going to spend alot of time playing around with carnival games/area simply because they are available locally. I mean your average town/church fair has many of the carny type games showcased in the carnival area, and the smaller zipper/spinner type traveling rides that go along with them. Sure Disney might have done some of them slightly better, but no family had to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars to get into their local carnival to use them. That's not to say you couldn't go for younger child non/ride focused area. I think the glorified splash pad/fire truck in fantasy land does that really well, but a whole section built around acarnivall type setting that you can do at home, I just don't know if enough people would look at it as being "worth" it.

BlakeW39

I think Dinosaur was great attraction for a very long time, but the version that exists today has embarassingly poor show quality. The increased lighting, neon paint on the dinosaurs, reduced thrills, the asteroid being replaced with a static Carnotaurus head, and on and on. It's honestly depressing to me how bad the ride has gotten and I'd rather see it close than keep operating in its current state.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think Dinosaur was great attraction for a very long time, but the version that exists today has embarassingly poor show quality. The increased lighting, neon paint on the dinosaurs, reduced thrills, the asteroid being replaced with a static Carnotaurus head, and on and on. It's honestly depressing to me how bad the ride has gotten and I'd rather see it close than keep operating in its current state.
In its heyday, wow what an attraction it was. I'm in the camp you're in as well, shutter it before it becomes even more embarrassing.

MR.Dis

In its heyday, wow what an attraction it was. I'm in the camp you're in as well, shutter it before it becomes even more embarrassing.
Disney has known for a long time they were replacing this attraction, so they stopped putting money into upkeep. The same was true with Splash Mountain before it became Tiana.

KDM31091

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the asteroid replaced very early on in the attraction's life? It's definitely not a recent change. I do agree the animatronics aren't well maintained and break often, though at least so far they have been repairing them it seems. The sauropod was broken for awhile but has been fixed. One of the carnotaurous was broken too but only briefly. The pterodactyl hasn't moved in many years so I don't really call it broken; it's intentionally shut off.

I wish they'd just infuse capital into it and make it fresh without getting rid of the Dinosaur theme. People love dinosaurs. It doesn't have to be IP to be popular. But hopefully the Indiana Jones ride will feature a better quality than Dinosaur has been relegated to lately. That said -- given recent track record, I'm definitely skeptical. It could just be a cheap reskin with a bunch of screens.

aladdin2007

The way they have been doing lame ride names lately it wouldn't surprise me if it was just called Encanto Forever. I think the snow white ride redo name in Cali is awful, and never cared for the frozen ever after title either.
Dumbing everything down to one lame word like wish or adventure I wish,,,literally, would stop.
I can see Indiana def carrying adventure but that one certainly fits like the original in cali.

Quietmouse

How much land does animal kingdom have for expansion purposes in general?

My main hope is that in the distant future they do revisits the dinosaur concept, but maybe take us back to the prehistoric age in terms of theming rather than just utilize real world objects like a museum and a county fair.

James Alucobond

My main hope is that in the distant future they do revisits the dinosaur concept, but maybe take us back to the prehistoric age in terms of theming rather than just utilize real world objects like a museum and a county fair.
That was my thought as well. You could keep with the land naming schema by calling it Pangaea or Gondwana and populating it with flora descended from that geological era.

Ideal future state for me is the existing four core lands with an added attraction for Pandora, an added attraction for Africa, and a sprucing up of Kali plus two minilands for Oceania and Gondwana, each with one major ride and one flat ride (but minimal area devoted to the “village” footprint of the core lands).

gerarar

Premium Member
There's stuff being staged behind the Dinosaur show building. Not sure if it's directly tied to the Tropical Americas replacement expansion, but interesting stuff regardless.

Looks to be some A/C units, construction lifts, and dumpsters?

August 18, 2024:
1000013616.jpg

April 2024:
1000013615.jpg

Source and pics:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom