News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Quietmouse

What is the obsession with dinosaurs? What kind of question even is that? Dinosaurs are inherently interesting. They are culturally important and awe-inspiring creatures, exactly the type of thing we should want more of in Animal Kingdom. Rather than movie franchises like Indiana Jones or Encanto which focus on nature minimally and only fit in the park through contrived, tangential story treatments. This "obsession" you are referring is more engrained in our culture than any IP that currently exists. Certainly Indiana Jones or Encanto.

I never cared about dinosaurs, but that’s just me. I liked the ride though.

That being said, I think the theming of the land could have been exponentially better. I’m not necessarily against dinosaurs, but the theming always felt shoe horned and low string budget.

Maybe I would have been more sentimental if the theming of the land was on point, but it just never did - at least for me.

WorldExplorer

What is the obsession with dinosaurs? What kind of question even is that? Dinosaurs are inherently interesting. They are culturally important and awe-inspiring creatures, exactly the type of thing we should want more of in Animal Kingdom. Rather than movie franchises like Indiana Jones or Encanto which focus on nature minimally and only fit in the park through contrived, tangential story treatments. This "obsession" you are referring is more engrained in our culture than any IP that currently exists. Certainly Indiana Jones or Encanto.

I don't remember where I read it, but Dinoland says really interesting things about our relationship with animals and would act as a great exclamation point to Animal Kingdom's message if it was just a little clearer.

People are notoriously obsessed with dinosaurs; in Digg's County we see how the discovery of some bones (not an actual dinosaur, just the remains) completely transforms a whole town into a dinosaur hotspot where a ton of people make their living off of these remains. Chester and Hester's is nothing special, yes, but that's part of the point; the characters canonically rake in cash from that thing because people will pay for dinosaurs in any form. Something that's very true; roadside attractions based solely on static dinosaurs continue to exist.

Despite this obsession, no one has ever seen a dinosaur. No one ever will. That grounding in reality, the knowledge that these were actual creatures roaming the world at one point, is a large part of what fuels our cultural love of them, but, as the Dino-Institute says, extinction is forever. No matter what happens, no matter how much we all love dinosaurs, we will never really see one.

One day, if we're not careful, that could be the beautiful animals you just got to see in the other parts of the park. Would you rather your children and grandchildren experience the Maharaja Jungle Trek or Tiger-Rama?

I don't expect anyone to give it points for that because it's definitely in the "if I have to read a pamphlet to understand it it's not working" category, but I do think it's a really neat way of emphasizing the importance of conservation. If they were allowed to build what they had originally intended and the Dino-Institute housed a calm dinosaur safari it probably would have come across better.

Last edited:

bwr827

I don't remember where I read it, but Dinoland says really interesting things about our relationship with animals and would act as a great exclamation point to Animal Kingdom's message if it was just a little clearer.

People are notoriously obsessed with dinosaurs; in Digg's County we see how the discovery of some bones (not an actual dinosaur, just the remains) completely transforms a whole town into a dinosaur hotspot where a ton of people make their living off of these remains. Chester and Hester's is nothing special, yes, but that's part of the point; the characters canonically rake in cash from that thing because people will pay for dinosaurs in any form. Something that's very true; roadside attractions based solely on static dinosaurs continue to exist.

Despite this obsession, no one has ever seen a dinosaur. No one ever will. That grounding in reality, the knowledge that these were actual creatures roaming the world at one point, is a large part of what fuels our cultural love of them, but, as the Dino-Institute says, extinction is forever. No matter what happens, no matter how much we all love dinosaurs, we will never really see one.

One day, if we're not careful, that could be the beautiful animals you just got to see in the other parts of the park. Would you rather your children and grandchildren experience the Maharaja Jungle Trek or Tiger-Rama?

I don't expect anyone to give it points for that because it's definitely in the "if I have to read a pamphlet to understand it it's not working" category, but I do think it's a really neat way of emphasizing the importance of conversation. If they were allowed to build what they had originally intended and the Dino-Institute housed a calm dinosaur safari it probably would have come across better.
It’s a good story but a bad theme park experience presumably due to a slashed budget. Really too bad.

999th Happy Haunt

I don't expect anyone to give it points for that because it's definitely in the "if I have to read a pamphlet to understand it it's not working" category, but I do think it's a really neat way of emphasizing the importance of conversation. If they were allowed to build what they had originally intended and the Dino-Institute housed a calm dinosaur safari it probably would have come across better.
Beautifully said

osian

Excited about both new rides and an excellently themed new area to replace the poor Dinoland USA.

Antonio’s door is a great choice, and I do hope to hear the two best songs from Encanto around the ride area.
Are you also excited to see what animal representation there might be?

Consumer

Dinosaurs belong in DAK. CTX being replaced by Indiana Jones is a good change. Both statements are true.

Ideally, DAK would have a prehistoric land featuring a slow moving boat ride through a primeval world, ending with a volcano and a big drop.

The big problem, however, is that for dinosaurs to be most effective, they can't be scientifically accurate. I don't care that the T-Rex and the Triceratops lived at different points of time, I want to see them fight. Such contradictions to nature aren't meant for a park like DAK, unfortunately.

Primeval World on Disneyland Railroad will forever remain the best thing Disney will ever do with dinosaurs.

999th Happy Haunt

The big problem, however, is that for dinosaurs to be most effective, they can't be scientifically accurate. I don't care that the T-Rex and the Triceratops lived at different points of time, I want to see them fight. Such contradictions to nature aren't meant for a park like DAK, unfortunately.
I somewhat agree with the overall statement, but this is a funny example because t rex and triceratops DID live in the same time period and likely fought each other.

DisneyHead123

I don't expect anyone to give it points for that because it's definitely in the "if I have to read a pamphlet to understand it it's not working" category, but I do think it's a really neat way of emphasizing the importance of conservation. If they were allowed to build what they had originally intended and the Dino-Institute housed a calm dinosaur safari it probably would have come across better.
I think the difficult thing about dinosaurs in theme parks is that, as you said, no one has ever seen one, and so we don’t really have an extensive web of associations that go with dinosaurs. For kids who love the idea of live dinosaurs, T-Rex cafe is really a pretty good summation, I don’t know that there’s a lot that needs to be added to it. There they are, growling, doing their dino thing, pretty cool. It’s not a theme like “pirates” or “haunted house” with endless narrative possibilities, or a live animal with an ongoing storyline. And dinosaur fossils are, well, fossils, they represent something dead and inert. Dinosaurs are fascinating but unless a new narrative world is created for them, a la Jurassic Park, they just seem like difficult source material for a theme park.

Gusey

Antonio’s door is a great choice, and I do hope to hear the two best songs from Encanto around the ride area.
Since it's the day of Antonio's power ceremony, AKA the 1 of 2 days the film takes place across, I bet we're getting to see what the other family members were doing whilst Mirabel was trying to fix Casita. Therefore, the songs can still appear in the attractions

TrainsOfDisney

Dino land will be an interesting book for someone to write one day. The land was originally going to have an impressive mine train style coaster that would have been very popular. The “dig site” - restaurant, and Institute all were created around that concept.

The park opened and for some reason there wasn’t enough to do! Haha. Eisner wanted something quick and cheap - and we got the carnival.

In 2005 era - that land was pretty good. With the coaster, spinner, and games all running the area felt alive and we had Lucky the Dinosaur - a very impressive walk around AA, as well as a really good juggling show.

There was also a brief time after that where they did a short version of “flights of wonder” in the area showcasing birds that were related to dinosaurs and behaviors.

If you’ve only seen that area in recent times - no wonder you think it’s a disaster!

Gusey

Dino land will be an interesting book for someone to write one day. The land was originally going to have an impressive mine train style coaster that would have been very popular. The “dig site” - restaurant, and Institute all were created around that concept.

The park opened and for some reason there wasn’t enough to do! Haha. Eisner wanted something quick and cheap - and we got the carnival.

In 2005 era - that land was pretty good. With the coaster, spinner, and games all running the area felt alive and we had Lucky the Dinosaur - a very impressive walk around AA, as well as a really good juggling show.

There was also a brief time after that where they did a short version of “flights of wonder” in the area showcasing birds that were related to dinosaurs and behaviors.

If you’ve only seen that area in recent times - no wonder you think it’s a disaster!
Don't forget the Dinosaur Jubilee, the big tent with some dino bones located where Dino-Rama ended up

BlakeW39

Dinosaurs belong in DAK. CTX being replaced by Indiana Jones is a good change. Both statements are true.

Ideally, DAK would have a prehistoric land featuring a slow moving boat ride through a primeval world, ending with a volcano and a big drop.

Primeval World on Disneyland Railroad will forever remain the best thing Disney will ever do with dinosaurs.

All due respect, but to be honest that's not really true, and I think it's unfortunate that dinosaur media has made people think this is true.

Dinosaurs are most effective when they are scientifically accurate. This has been proven countless times and the only reason people think otherwise is because modern entertainment has refused to modernize their depictions of dinosaurs, like JP and others were doing in the 90s. That is because they are lazy and simply have no interest in doing anything new or innovative. It isn't because "accurate" (real, vs. fictional) dinosaurs were some lame, giant chickens. People just think that because they hear the words "scientifically accurate" and scream "Ahh! Learning!"

Most large dinosaurs weren't covered in feathers (i.e. T. rex for example) and they lived in extremely diverse ecosystems. T. rex and Triceratops did live together, and fought each other, alongside raptors, giant long necked sauropods, and so on. All in the same places at the same time. Sure not every single dinosaur species lived in the same time and place, but dinosaur ecosystems were definitely diverse enough to encompass most of the popualr "archetypes" in a single time and place.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Genuine question - if they had replaced the coaster with a cheesy Dino dark ride - think classic like Mr. Toad with Dino’s - and really made the place feel alive with extra carnival games and carnival entertainment like jugglers, etc. - how would that be seen?

Brer Panther

If Disney is considering putting The Simpsons in Hollywood Studios, I see no reason why they can't replace Dino-Rama with Ice Age. It'd bring more prehistoric animals into the park, it's an IP, and Disney has shown that they're still willing to milk the franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom