News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DCLcruiser

It's a fun ride with some excitement...but certainly not terrifying... Not so scary adults would be afraid to ride it.... or even pre-teens for that matter...
There are a few scary moments. Again, I said it was a thriller. The alien popping out in the old Movie Ride was scary too. Didn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

We watched a YouTube highlight before our trip last year — it was enough to put my family off. Very dark, lots of flashing lights and aggressive dinosaurs popping out at you.

I wanted to ride it, but I was vetoed.
This. For a family type ride, it is a bit much.

I’m gonna assume Dinosaur haters are making excuses because they’re all scared
I like it, and I like dinosaurs in general even more. I just know there are flaws to the current execution.

Bocabear

you could watch a youtube highlight that makes Haunted Mansion look terrifying and Pirates of the Caribbean look like a high thrill water based terror..... The Dinosaur attraction is very tongue-in cheek... very cute in an Indiana Jones with Dinosaurs kind of way.... Yes dark but fun.....

ToTBellHop

you could watch a youtube highlight that makes Haunted Mansion look terrifying and Pirates of the Caribbean look like a high thrill water based terror..... The Dinosaur attraction is very tongue-in cheek... very cute in an Indiana Jones with Dinosaurs kind of way.... Yes dark but fun.....
It almost feels as though other people experience the ride differently than you do.

osian

When I was younger I loved this attraction. However, with age comes issues--i.e. bad back. There is too much quick starts and stops that make this ride pure agony. So I have not been on this for over 5 years. My family still goes on it and they all still enjoy it but like others have stated they believe it needs an upgrade. Well there will be an upgrade as we now know it will be rethemed to Indiana Jones, similar to the Disneyland ride.
A retheme to Indiana Jones as just that, a retheme, not an upgrade.

An upgrade would have been if, say, the vehicles had been replaced with more modern versions, or the animatronics refreshed, and scenes and effects made more realistic etc. The theme does not have to change for an upgrade to occur. I would say it's highly likely that the vehicles won't be upgraded.

ToTBellHop

A retheme to Indiania Jones as just that, a retheme, not an upgrade.

An upgrade would have been if, say, the vehicles had been replaced with more modern versions, or the animatronics refreshed, and scenes and effects made more realistic etc. The theme does not have to change for an upgrade to occur.
You can retheme and have it be an upgrade. I can change my shirt and look both different and better at the same time.

LSLS

My 5 year old loved it last year. The 9 year old girl in front of us in our car was crying when they got off. It can definitely be scary to some.

osian

You can retheme and have it be an upgrade. I can change my shirt and look both different and better at the same time.
Yes. But retheme != upgrade. Which is my point. People mix the two up.

You can change your clothing from a brand new suit to an old torn t-shirt, but it's not an upgrade.

You can change the theme and make it a downgrade (Imagination?)
You can keep the theme and make it an upgrade (Space Mountain Anaheim when it had the re-track).

ToTBellHop

Yes. But retheme != upgrade. Which is my point. People mix the two up.

You can change your clothing from a brand new suit to an old torn t-shirt, but it's not an upgrade.

You can change the theme and make it a downgrade (Imagination?)
You can keep the theme and make it an upgrade (Space Mountain Anaheim when it had the re-track).
I think this one will be a retheme most view as an upgrade.

osian

I think this one will be a retheme most view as an upgrade.
But it's not the same thing is it? That was my point. You're arguing a different point. Some people would say it's a downgrade of theme. There is no one-to-one correspondence. Retheme != Upgrade. Therefore to claim it's getting an upgrade because it's getting a retheme as though it's a fact, is wrong. It's an opinion, as you've inadvertently indicated in your use of the word "view". I can provide dictionary definitions of the words if you still think they mean the same thing or that one implies the other.

UNCgolf

But it's not the same thing is it? That was my point. You're arguing a different point. Some people would say it's a downgrade of theme. There is no one-to-one correspondence. Retheme != Upgrade. Therefore to claim it's getting an upgrade because it's getting a retheme as though it's a fact, is wrong. It's an opinion, as you've inadvertently indicated in your use of the word "view". I can provide dictionary definitions of the words if you still think they mean the same thing or that one implies the other.

I think you're misinterpreting his point.

Multiple insiders have said it looks like this retheme is going to result in a better, more impressive attraction. I don't think he's saying that retheming it to Indiana Jones is an automatic upgrade just by virtue of an IP/theme change; it's that the planned attraction is going to be a better one regardless of the theme.

Last edited:

CJR

Even there, it’s not so much the Boneyard as it is the Dig Site that’s special, IMO. I’d be very happy to see just that portion move over to the exit area of Indy for younger ones waiting for siblings and parents to exit.

I would heavily applaud that move.

I will note that there's a "dino dig site", indoors, at the Orlando Science Center if they do remove it completely from DAK. So, at least something similar isn't very far away. The OSC should really reach out to Disney to see if they'd donate any of the Dinoland stuff that would otherwise go into the dumpster. Could help them upgrade the area a bit on the cheap.

UofMGuy423

My problem with this is that it's just a replacement of what's already there, so its not adding any capacity to a park that already struggles to make its case for a full day. Just redoing the drapes and the pillows.

eddie104

All in all, they haven't given it any love (except tuning up the speakers)
I could have sworn that ride got several minor refurbs over the years.

However it did seem like that unfortunately it was on borrowed time because it wasn’t well received by the GP.

but the permits are not directly related to the project.
I’m probably reading too much into what you’re saying but are you trying to infer there are several projects planned for AK?

Last edited:

James Alucobond

My problem with this is that it's just a replacement of what's already there, so its not adding any capacity to a park that already struggles to make its case for a full day. Just redoing the drapes and the pillows.
Primeval Whirl has been dead for a while, always had terrible capacity, and was unhelpful on days with poor weather since it was outdoors. I would hope the new attraction is addressing all of those issues. But yes, the carousel and IJ are obviously lateral moves.

DoTheImpossible

I still think it will have the same effect as an expansion. The current space is not a draw to people. This re-themed area will draw guests from other areas of the park much more heavily than Dinoland did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom