News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Eric M Blake

So regarding the question of Indiana Jones fitting in AK...

Again, it's be interesting if Indy's ride actually uses the dino audio-anolamatronics. Granted, Indy's an archeologists adventurer, but the idea would be the search for a powerful artifact LEADS him into a remote part of South America which turns out to be a Pellucidar-esque "dinoland."

Bit of the old, bit of the new.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

My hot take is that Moana fits DAK better than both of the IPs that are currently on the table.
If done correctly, sure. It fits as well as anything proposed. The problem is that they weren’t proposing an Oceania-based land at all; we were just attempting to will that into existence by mentally merging it with Nemo. The fact that they are picking a region first and attractions second makes this overall idea better even if you preferred the notion of a Moana attraction, which is perfectly fair.

Brer Panther

I'm really glad they're not doing the Moana/Zootopia Dinoland replacement. I don't like the idea of removing dinosaurs from the park entirely (did Disney look at everyone complaining about Dino-Rama and come to the conclusion that people don't like dinosaurs anymore?), but I do like the idea of Animal Kingdom getting a South America land... just not at the expense of Dinoland.

I have the following conditions...

1) Have the Indiana Jones ride focus on Indy encountering dinosaurs, allowing you to retain as many of the dinosaur animatronics from Dinosaur as possible (as others have suggested, especially since the Carnotaurus apparently lived in Argentina).

2) Keep the focus of the land on animals and the natural world. I don't want Encanto and Indiana Jones Land, neither IP really fits in Animal Kingdom at all what with them not being about animals (yes, I know Antonio exists, but Disney's likely to have the Encanto attraction focus on Mirabel over him since she's the lead character). I think Up and Rio would be more fitting IPs to have here than either of them.

3) Don't make the Encanto attraction another trackless dark ride. The novelty of those has worn off. I want to go back to busbar dark rides that don't just spin around in enormous spread-out rooms or park the riders in front of a screen.

Is it too much to hope that Disney reconsiders the idea? Maybe do a Dinoland refresh that actually involves DINOSAURS and other prehistoric animals? Disney owns Ice Age now, that Buck movie on Disney Plus shows that they're still willing to milk the franchise...

Realistically, do you think that current Disney could do that level of retheming to Dinosaur in under a year and a half?
Considering how long it took them to build Runaway Railway, Tron, and Guardians of the Galaxy? I don't know.
Dial bombed because of various circumstances that are Disney's own fault.

There's still potential in the series if Disney & Lucasfilm learn from their lessons. They clearly need new leadership before they try again though.
This IS the same company that assumed The Princess and the Frog underperformed because it was hand-drawn and stopped doing theatrical Muppet movies because Muppets Most Wanted flopped. Fifty-percent chance they don't learn from their mistakes and just assume that people don't care about Indiana Jones anymore.

SpectreJordan

I'm really glad they're not doing the Moana/Zootopia Dinoland replacement. I don't like the idea of removing dinosaurs from the park entirely (did Disney look at everyone complaining about Dino-Rama and come to the conclusion that people don't like dinosaurs anymore?), but I do like the idea of Animal Kingdom getting a South America land... just not at the expense of Dinoland.

1) Have the Indiana Jones ride focus on Indy encountering dinosaurs, allowing you to retain as many of the dinosaur animatronics from Dinosaur as possible (as others have suggested, especially since the Carnotaurus apparently lived in Argentina).

2) Keep the focus of the land on animals and the natural world. I don't want Encanto and Indiana Jones Land, neither IP really fits in Animal Kingdom at all what with them not being about animals (yes, I know Antonio exists, but Disney's likely to have the Encanto attraction focus on Mirabel over him since she's the lead character). I think Up and Rio would be more fitting IPs to have here than either of them.

3) Don't make the Encanto attraction another trackless dark ride. The novelty of those has worn off. I want to go back to busbar dark rides that don't just spin around in enormous spread-out rooms or park the riders in front of a screen.

Is it too much to hope that Disney reconsiders the idea? Maybe do a Dinoland refresh that actually involves DINOSAURS and other prehistoric animals? Disney owns Ice Age now, that Buck movie on Disney Plus shows that they're still willing to milk the franchise...

Considering how long it took them to build Runaway Railway, Tron, and Guardians of the Galaxy? I don't know.

This IS the same company that assumed The Princess and the Frog underperformed because it was hand-drawn and stopped doing theatrical Muppet movies because Muppets Most Wanted flopped. Fifty-percent chance they don't learn from their mistakes and just assume that people don't care about Indiana Jones anymore.
Corporate even allowing this Indy ride idea to exist is hopefully a good sign that they won't bury the series.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist

1) No. Just No. The Land is Tropical Americas. A real place just like Asia and Africa. Where are there real dinosaurs today? No time travel for Indy either. Pretty simple it writes itself. Deep in the jungle of South America Indy discovers an ancient ruin with an artifact. The adventure begins with us and calamity ensues and then we are saved. Done.

2)Again, Tropical Americas is the Land. Encanto and Indy are residents and a visitor. Think of the land first. Hopefully they will do it right with authentic style and animal enclosure/paths (which has been backed by others here that talks are happening to animal experts/zoologists).

3)Yeah, that is a strong no again. I think you might be in the complete majority of people wanting a busbar over tech and trackless. I do agree that they need to show more than giant rooms and spinning around.

Dinoland is dead. I don't like it either and Dinos do belong in this park. Let's all cry for about a month and then move on. Disney does not want to keep with Universal's Jurassic Park which for most tourist is superior.

TheMaxRebo

They shared nothing about the attraction ideas beyond that the placement of the Indy area implied overlaying Dinosaur and there appeared to be some sort of covered flat ride in the Encanto area (could be repurposing TriceratopSpin or something new)

Having ridden Mystic Manor it would be a great fit for a ride set in the Madrigal house, but just speculation

Eric M Blake

Plus a relatively small sauropod (long-neck) lived in the Amazon. Not an Iguanadon, sadly...but still.
No time travel for Indy either. Pretty simple it writes itself. Deep in the jungle of South America Indy discovers an ancient ruin with an artifact. The adventure begins with us and calamity ensues and then we are saved. Done.
Keep in mind, *Animal* Kingdom.

BTW, it's not time travel we're getting at, but a legendary "lost world" a la Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike S

1) No. Just No. The Land is Tropical Americas. A real place just like Asia and Africa. Where are there real dinosaurs today? No time travel for Indy either. Pretty simple it writes itself. Deep in the jungle of South America Indy discovers an ancient ruin with an artifact. The adventure begins with us and calamity ensues and then we are saved. Done.

2)Again, Tropical Americas is the Land. Encanto and Indy are residents and a visitor. Think of the land first. Hopefully they will do it right with authentic style and animal enclosure/paths (which has been backed by others here that talks are happening to animal experts/zoologists).

3)Yeah, that is a strong no again. I think you might be in the complete majority of people wanting a busbar over tech and trackless. I do agree that they need to show more than giant rooms and spinning around.

Dinoland is dead. I don't like it either and Dinos do belong in this park. Let's all cry for about a month and then move on. Disney does not want to keep with Universal's Jurassic Park which for most tourist is superior.
Jurassic Park is only superior because Disney allows it to be. I have no doubt Disney has the capability to run circles around the River Adventure and even the new ride in Beijing. They just don’t want to and would prefer a simpler route.

Last edited:

doctornick

Jurassic Park is only superior because Disney allows it to be. I have no doubt Disney has the capability to run circles around the River Adventure and even the new ride in Baijing. They just don’t want to and would prefer a simpler route.
Jurassic Park is pretty lousy for people who want to experience dinosaurs in their majesty and glory. That land treats them as monsters/threats. There's absolutely a market in theme parks to experience seeing and learning about dinosaurs as a part of nature which is not filled by Uni.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Jurassic Park is only superior because Disney allows it to be. I have no doubt Disney has the capability to run circles around the River Adventure and even the new ride in Baijing. They just don’t want to and would prefer a simpler route.
Completely agree. But I don't think we need two lands about Dinosaurs within a 15 minute drive and Universal has clearly one with the mass tourist. Disney should have some with the gusto on day one, but budget cuts got the best of them.

celluloid

Completely agree. But I don't think we need two lands about Dinosaurs within a 15 minute drive and Universal has clearly one with the mass tourist. Disney should have some with the gusto on day one, but budget cuts got the best of them.
They used to have them in two of their own parks.
There is nothing inherently wrong with different takes on dinos if all are done well. Disney let theirs rot.

RobbinsDad

This is the honestly the best news of a meh news day. Tropical Americas is a much better fit for AK than Zooana ever was, even if it means shoehorning other hot IP into the park. As long as they make it as immersive as Anandapur and Harambe. Considering Encanto is set in an actual village, this should be easy to do.

SirLink

I guess it's not at all surprising, but it's a little disappointing to see all the sites reporting this as an "announcement", when they made it clear that this is still blue sky planning and may or may not actually happen.

Or misinterpret concept art to state another IP is being added aka Coco rather than just the town from Encanto. Or people thinking Zootopia in ITTBAB is 100% finalised or that they are putting a Pirate restaurant in MK rather than the bar that they are actually doing.

On that note these D23 events in September are so dumb ... I know why they do them in September but at least at the end of October you would have had the board approved funding for projects and make Disney look more competent. However, like I said I understand why they do these D23 events in September for essentially for focus group testing.

Thepuma

This is such b.s. They're deliberately killing Animal Kingdom just as they killed Epcot.

How so?....since Epcot got Guardians and Remy, its gone from being my least favorite park (by a country mile) to my second favourite behind HS.

AK is in desperate need of more attractions. Dinoland is the perfect place to do this - they have a dated, baron, mainly deleted part of the park and a poor old Dinosaur ride. If AK could build another major ride in Dinoland...akin to Tron,Guardians or a Remy type ride then the park would hugely benefit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom