EMH wristbands to be discontinued September 7th

ToTBellHop

does it matter if every CM checks every guest for a valid KTTW? I don't really think it does. They could use a similar attitude as is used with the "random" security checks at airports: if even half of the CMs are checking guests for valid KTTWs, the system naturally works out because anyone who tries to cheat the system will eventually get caught, and the fact that they don't know when this will happen will tend to make them think twice about cheating the system. This, to me, seems better than the current system where if you just find the CM who is handing out wristbands without checking KTTWs, you can get your wristband and be good to go for the evening. Now you would have to be lucky enough to have the lazy CM on EVERY RIDE in order to stick around for EEMHs. Not sure that's really worth the hassle. At the end of the day, though, if you really want to cheat the system, you will. What will be interesting is how they will implement this for the EEMHs at the water parks. Where will people place their KTTWs as they pass from slide to slide at Typhoon Lagoon in the Summer?

teebin

I am totally confused. It says they are doing away with the bands and then in the last paragraph it says:

" Evening Extra Magic Hours begin immediately after park close for up to three hours. Resort Guests wishing to enjoy Evening Extra Magic Hours should obtain a wristband at select locations in the Theme Park that is open for the benefit by presenting a valid Resort I.D. no sooner than two hours before the benefit begins, or at the Main Entrance during the event."

If they are doing away with bands then why do EEMH say you need to obtain a wristband???

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am totally confused. It says they are doing away with the bands and then in the last paragraph it says:

" Evening Extra Magic Hours begin immediately after park close for up to three hours. Resort Guests wishing to enjoy Evening Extra Magic Hours should obtain a wristband at select locations in the Theme Park that is open for the benefit by presenting a valid Resort I.D. no sooner than two hours before the benefit begins, or at the Main Entrance during the event."

If they are doing away with bands then why do EEMH say you need to obtain a wristband???
Could they possibly be doing an either or? Have a wristband or produce a current KTTW.

devoy1701

That's not really practical, as some people have old KTTW cards with non-expiring entitlements on them (like I do, for example), and it would be easy enough to make an honest mistake and show the wrong one.

I don't see this as a problem. If you are currently staying on property but still have your old KTTW card that still has valid park admission on it and you accidently show that one instead of your current one, chances are you probably have your current one with you too and you can just apologize and show the right card and go on with your night. I wasn't saying that a CM should take it with no questions asked. You'll most likely have your current card on you since you got to return to your room later that night anyway. Plus since you know they will be looking for your KTTW card you'll be more likely to keep it easily accessible (ie, in your pocket instead of your wallet). But, If you are not staying on property and try to use your expired KTTW card to cheat the system and stay for EMH and a CM catches you, even if your KTTW still has some valid theme park admission left on it, you should have your card confiscated. You're trying to get away with stealing. Why shouldn't you have to suffer the consequences?

djpoore94

It appears to me that this new information was added to the top of the old page that describes how the EMH work.

devoy1701

it looks like Steve had just updated the BOLD statement on his post. everything below the bold words are the original rules and information for Extra Magic Hours.

EDIT: pjpoore beat me to it!

SirGoofy

Ugh. As a cast member this is TERRIBLE NEWS! NonResort guests have a hard enough time understanding EMH as it is, now they're taking away the one visible symbol? Terrific.

fosse76

Well if problems in the past include CM's not looking for wristbands, or ignoring the color of the current night's EMH, then what will cause them to really police the room cards & dates on the cards?

The only way this could work is if some reps from park management, or assigned designees would do random, but often, spot checks in the queues to ensure the CM at the entrance is doing his/her job. Thus making them accountable. This is the only way I can see this being enforced properly.

Maybe counterfeit wristbands are a bigger problem than many of us believe.

This was my thoguht exactly. I guess it depends on how diligent the Attractions CMs were with checking wristbands. Since it appears that some CMs were lazy with regards to issuing wristbands to the proper guests, this could be a method to eliminate the mass distribution of wristbands to savy non-resort guests. But now it will shift to the Attractions CMs, who will become overwhelmed with checking the KTTW cards, and at some point will start letting anyone through to relieve the lines of people trying to queue up.

bugsbunny

I can confirm this. Here is a video made of the first test group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhjaCgAS80&feature=related

I love that game. I play that round over and over again in arcade mode. I use nothing but the 105 and play it through my 60" HDTV and my Dolby system. With the subwoofer blaring, you almost think I'm firing real artillery from a real AC-130. The one day I was playing it, my cell phone rings and its my wife. She called from upstairs saying she's been screaming for 5 minutes for me to turn that d@mn thing down!!! :ROFLOL:

So I guess WDWs mentatlity now is that you need to show your room key in order to get the wrist band....so why not just skip the wrist band part?? Makes sense on paper, but if they couldnt enforce that park guests wearing a fluorescent pink wrist band, are they now going to walk around like Gestapo or at hang out at ride entrances asking "Let me see your papers!!"?? Its going to get old REAL FAST having to show your room key at EVERY ride entrance. And nothing like dropping your room key in the ever so dark queue on Space Mountain. I bet WDW spends more to replace room keys in one year then it did on wrist bands in 5 years.

First plan failed and no doubt second plan will as well. IMHO, the easiest thing would be to put RF transmitters in the room keys and have the electronic gateways at the ride entrences. Much like how you try to leave the store without taking the tag off of what you puchased and then the alarm goes off. RFID stickers are like a nickle each, so how hard could that be to implement??

SirGoofy

So I guess WDWs mentatlity now is that you need to show your room key in order to get the wrist band....so why not just skip the wrist band part?? Makes sense on paper, but if they couldnt enforce that park guests wearing a fluorescent pink wrist band, are they now going to walk around like Gestapo or at hang out at ride entrances asking "Let me see your papers!!"?? Its going to get old REAL FAST having to show your room key at EVERY ride entrance. And nothing like dropping your room key in the ever so dark queue on Space Mountain. I bet WDW spends more to replace room keys in one year then it did on wrist bands in 5 years.

Not to mention how backed up the front of lines will get when we have to check everyone's key. Now there's gonna be a queue to get into the queue.

jt04

Not to mention how backed up the front of lines will get when we have to check everyone's key. Now there's gonna be a queue to get into the queue.

Doubt it will be an issue myself. Seems like it's quicker to check ID's than load most rides so it should be OK. Of course the market for selling phony wristbands won't be doing as good. But think of how much plastic won't be going into Florida Landfills! Disney is just being greener.

bugsbunny

Doubt it will be an issue myself. Seems like it's quicker to check ID's than load most rides so it should be OK. Of course the market for selling phony wristbands won't be doing as good. But think of how much plastic won't be going into Florida Landfills! Disney is just being greener.

Seriously. Have you been to the airport lately? Ever stand in a security line for 45 minutes and then when you finally get up there...the person in front of you doesnt have their ID out. Then had to dig for it, wherever that may be.

Then when they go the xray part, I guess their IQ drops 50%. They proceed to go through with their cell phone on their hip and their laptop still in the case. But they might remember to take their shoes off, so we will give them a D- overall.

If they check passes at ride boarding, it will be ridiculous. And what about rides that inside are dark? Like PoTc, HM, Space Mountain, etc? At that point, might as well go back to selling tickets so you HAVE to give the CM something to get on the ride. And then maybe the term E-ticket will go back to actually meaning something again. :ROFLOL:

jt04

Seriously. Have you been to the airport lately? Ever stand in a security line for 45 minutes and then when you finally get up there...the person in front of you doesnt have their ID out. Then had to dig for it, wherever that may be.

Then when they go the xray part, I guess their IQ drops 50%. They proceed to go through with their cell phone on their hip and their laptop still in the case. But they might remember to take their shoes off, so we will give them a D- overall.

If they check passes at ride boarding, it will be ridiculous. And what about rides that inside are dark? Like PoTc, HM, Space Mountain, etc? At that point, might as well go back to selling tickets so you HAVE to give the CM something to get on the ride. And then maybe the term E-ticket will go back to actually meaning something again. :ROFLOL:

Perhaps they need to start bar coding guests.

devoy1701

Exactly, it will function like a fast pass. I think it will work and I for one sure as heck won't miss the wrist bands.

Personally, I like the change. Your KTTW will, sort of, act like a fastpass to EEMH. I approve of this change.

seriously. If CMs at the entrance to the queue can stop and notice the date and time of a fastpass without much holdup, then it won't be much different with the KTTW card...like I said earlier, maybe they might adjust the setup of the KTTW card alittle to make the dates larger...but I don't think this will slow the line up much. People will know at EMH they have to have their KTTW easily accessable so it's not like once they get through the checkpoint at the front of the queue they'll be putting it at the bottom of their bag again. Most people can handle the FP process alright...why does everyone doubt that this new setup will be effective?

jt04

seriously. If CMs at the entrance to the queue can stop and notice the date and time of a fastpass without much holdup, then it won't be much different with the KTTW card...like I said earlier, maybe they might adjust the setup of the KTTW card alittle to make the dates larger...but I don't think this will slow the line up much. People will know at EMH they have to have their KTTW easily accessable so it's not like once they get through the checkpoint at the front of the queue they'll be putting it at the bottom of their bag again. Most people can handle the FP process alright...why does everyone doubt that this new setup will be effective?

Perhaps some were selling wrist bands on the side :lookaroun........KIDDING!:zipit: :lol:

wonka

How hard would it be for someone staying on-site to say "Oh, I seem to have lost my room key, can I have a replacement?"? Throw it in a lanyard and you suddenly have something for your off-site staying pal to use at EMH.

Yeah, this is going to be abused.

jt04

How hard would it be for someone staying on-site to say "Oh, I seem to have lost my room key, can I have a replacement?"? Throw it in a lanyard and you suddenly have something for your off-site staying pal to use at EMH.

Yeah, this is going to be abused.

Can't be worse than wrist band abuse

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom