EMH wristbands to be discontinued September 7th

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't see how this will help anything unless the CM's are diligent enough to check the dates on every KTTW card that goes into the queue, and I can't imagine they will do anything more than glance at it.

Agreed. It also sets up the possibility of groups with some on-site and some off-site just switching off on the rides. At least with the wristbands, they were supposed to swipe the card, ensuring it only got used once per night.

I'm not saying it matters. What I want to know is what impression is Disney trying to give. When they clear the park of non-wristband wearers, it gives the impression that only EMH-eligibles should be in the park, period.

But it would be good to know if Disney doesn't care, or even wants non-EMH-eligibles in the gates.

There's a big difference between the two. That's why I'm curious as to whether they will still be "clearing the parks."

I don't think Disney minds. I say this because last summer, when we were staying off-site, my wife and I ate dinner at Coral Reef at 9 pm on an EMH night, finishing at 10:15 or so. We asked a CM if we needed to exit the park right away, and were told we could hang around as long as we liked, but just couldn't hit any attractions. It was actually quite peaceful to wander around World Showcase that evening.

Disneyfan1981

What are the odds that doing away with the wristbands will equal different artwork for the KTTW cards to be changed out every quarter or so to stop folks from using their cards they've kept as keepsakes and getting the cost of that tacked on to room rates or general Hotel stays?

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I don't think Disney minds. I say this because last summer, when we were staying off-site, my wife and I ate dinner at Coral Reef at 9 pm on an EMH night, finishing at 10:15 or so. We asked a CM if we needed to exit the park right away, and were told we could hang around as long as we liked, but just couldn't hit any attractions. It was actually quite peaceful to wander around World Showcase that evening.

This sounds fantastic! A good way to get some pictures you've been meaning to take, or just to do some quality people watching. I'd give up partaking in attractions just to be able to soak up the ambiance of the park with minimal crowds.

devoy1701

Well if problems in the past include CM's not looking for wristbands, or ignoring the color of the current night's EMH, then what will cause them to really police the room cards & dates on the cards?

The only way this could work is if some reps from park management, or assigned designees would do random, but often, spot checks in the queues to ensure the CM at the entrance is doing his/her job. Thus making them accountable. This is the only way I can see this being enforced properly.

Maybe counterfeit wristbands are a bigger problem than many of us believe.

you're statement in your first paragraph is a good point. Though checking for KTTW cards WILL eliminate non-onsite guests from being able to experience attractions during EMH. So in the case like I experienced and wrote about last 2 weekends ago, guests not staying onsite who happened to noticed that the CMs in one wristband distribution line were not checking for KTTW cards and were able to get wristbands and go back into the park... This case will no longer be able to happen.

Now the problem will be CMs not checking dates and ppl using KTTW cards from previous trips to participate in EMH.

Personally I think if someone trys using an expired KTTW card on an attraction that has an attentive CM, that invalid KTTW card should be confiscated.

MousDad

I have never once seen CM's clear people out of the parks without wristbands during PM EMH. From what I have seen, folks without wristbands have always been free to stay in the parks and enjoy shopping, ice cream, etc, etc during PM EMH. Disney has not given any other "impression" that I am aware of.

My bad, I was under the impression that they did. I must be confusing with after hours parties.

Is it safe to say, then, that Disney actually wants non-resort guests to stay within the gates during EMH?

Timmay

[/B]
Maybe her older kids will be in the parks for EMH without their parents? As a parent I find this perfectly logical. Just because we have older kids doesn't mean that they are not still kids and forgetful at times. Most teens don't carry a wallet or purse etc... and could easliy misplace a card. Doesn't take a lot of forethought to figure that one out now does it?

Why would the EMH provide more of an oppurtunity to "misplace" a card than at any other time? If it wasn't a concern before EMH...why would it be now. Because that is what was said...only now is it a concern.:shrug:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
My friend has an annual pass, and the only thing that strikes me is how flimsy and cheap his pass is. Having to take it out and put it away every 8 seconds will just put extra wear and tear on his thick pieve of paper. Or are AP holders NOT "allowed" in during EMH? :shrug:

mousefan1972

My friend has an annual pass, and the only thing that strikes me is how flimsy and cheap his pass is. Having to take it out and put it away every 8 seconds will just put extra wear and tear on his thick pieve of paper. Or are AP holders NOT "allowed" in during EMH? :shrug:

My AP isn't flimsy. :shrug: And no, AP holders are not "allowed" during EMH, unless of course they also happen to be resort guests. And if they are resort guests, they would show their KTTW card for EMH, not their AP.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
you're statement in your first paragraph is a good point. Though checking for KTTW cards WILL eliminate non-onsite guests from being able to experience attractions during EMH. So in the case like I experienced and wrote about last 2 weekends ago, guests not staying onsite who happened to noticed that the CMs in one wristband distribution line were not checking for KTTW cards and were able to get wristbands and go back into the park... This case will no longer be able to happen.

Now the problem will be CMs not checking dates and ppl using KTTW cards from previous trips to participate in EMH.

Personally I think if someone trys using an expired KTTW card on an attraction that has an attentive CM, that invalid KTTW card should be confiscated.
How will the revised system work any better than the current system? If the CM's handing out the wristbands weren't checking resort ID's (again something I have never seen) what makes you think that dozens of CM's are going to accurately check resort ID's for ever single guest at every single attraction. Quite honestly if this system does anyting it will make the problem of non resort guests at EMH worse.

hokielutz

Exactly! I agree with your first statement. I am sure that most CM's will try and check the dates on the cards, but some may not altogether, or just let in a bunch of people if the queue to check cards at the beginning of the ride queue gets too long.

It will be interesting to see what the reactions of the guests are after this is implemented. Does it become so frustrating to wait to have your key inspected at every ride, that it takes away some of the magic of the evening? Time will tell, and, the execution details of this plan will be key as to whether it is a success... or breeds unrest.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This comes up from time to time and believe it or not the magnetic stripe and the printing on the mylar AP's is considerably more durable than the plastic key cards. While the physical card is better on the plastic key cards the printing will wear off quite quickly and the magnetic stripe will yack in even less time. I keep 5 AP's in my wallet and in 7 years I have never had one go bad. We seem to have at least 1 plastic room key go belly up on every trip.

Raven66

Why would the EMH provide more of an oppurtunity to "misplace" a card than at any other time? If it wasn't a concern before EMH...why would it be now. Because that is what was said...only now is it a concern.:shrug:

I think maybe because they will be taking it in and out more often now then before.

coasterphil

There are two reasons for Disney to go this route. One, it saves them quite a bit on labor. Two, they're probably so keyed in on guests complaints with the wristband distribution process (time consuming, have to walk all the way to a distribution point after being turned away at a queue, being let into a queue without a wristband only to be denied boarding later because they don't have one, etc) that they aren't even thinking about the complaints that this could/likely will bring. Of course the new complaints won't lead to a change since the money issue won't be involved now.

hokielutz

How will the revised system work any better than the current system? If the CM's handing out the wristbands weren't checking resort ID's (again something I have never seen) what makes you think that dozens of CM's are going to accurately check resort ID's for ever single guest at every single attraction. Quite honestly if this system does anyting it will make the problem of non resort guests at EMH worse.

I think the description of "the system will work better," refers to the prevention of non-Disney resort guests from getting on rides after the start of EMH. The big IF, is dependent on whether ALL CMs will diligently check all resort guest cards at each attraction. If that is done... the system will be a success, if the goal is to eliminate the cheating.

Success of this new EMH system should not only be the card-checking, but also managing crowds and their, for lack of a better term, "Happiness Level." The latter is a very tall order because of the bottle-necks that may/will occur at the front of every popular attraction.

KingStefan

...Personally I think if someone trys using an expired KTTW card on an attraction that has an attentive CM, that invalid KTTW card should be confiscated.

That's not really practical, as some people have old KTTW cards with non-expiring entitlements on them (like I do, for example), and it would be easy enough to make an honest mistake and show the wrong one.

smk

This my guess and it's only a guess but a lot of parents with olders (think teens) kids going to the World may let the kids go to EMH alone, I know we did when our kids were teens. Our daughter did leave her card on a bus, along with her wallet and the remaining days worth of tickets was at risk. As soon as she realized it was gone, the next day, we went to the front desk and her wallet had been turned in with the key intact but her money gone. At least we were able to get the ticket back or else we would have had to replace it.

Before, when they swiped your card , it is reasonalbe to stay with the kids, get the EMH wristband, take the card and go back to the resort, leaving the kids to have fun with their friends or siblings. As long as the kids had their wristband and a few dollars they were fine, now the cards must stay with the kids leaving the cards apt to get misplaced.....like I said it is only a guess but as a parent of young adults this is how I think thru things. This is how I imagined she was thinking. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think the description of "the system will work better," refers to the prevention of non-Disney resort guests from getting on rides after the start of EMH. The big IF, is dependent on whether ALL CMs will diligently check all resort guest cards at each attraction. If that is done... the system will be a success, if the goal is to eliminate the cheating.

Success of this new EMH system should not only be the card-checking, but also managing crowds and their, for lack of a better term, "Happiness Level." The latter is a very tall order because of the bottle-necks that may/will occur at the front of every popular attraction.
The thing is this new system will increase the probability of this happening. If you have 15 CM's that should be scanning and checking each KTTW one time per night per guest your chance of guests getting around this system is considerably less than having dozens CM checking a KTTW for each guest on every attraction. I guarantee you that after the first half hour of a busy EMH evening you could flash a year old KTTW and get in.

smk

This comes up from time to time and believe it or not the magnetic stripe and the printing on the mylar AP's is considerably more durable than the plastic key cards. While the physical card is better on the plastic key cards the printing will wear off quite quickly and the magnetic stripe will yack in even less time. I keep 5 AP's in my wallet and in 7 years I have never had one go bad. We seem to have at least 1 plastic room key go belly up on every trip.

I have been told that will happen if the key/card is too close to a cell phone. We have had it happen numerous times and I don't know if each time I replaced the card in my purse I kept it away from my cell but I tried.

hokielutz

The thing is this new system will increase the probability of this happening. If you have 15 CM's that should be scanning and checking each KTTW one time per night per guest your chance of guests getting around this system is considerably less than having dozens CM checking a KTTW for each guest on every attraction. I guarantee you that after the first half hour of a busy EMH evening you could flash a year old KTTW and get in.

No arguing with you on your points. I agree. If it is not strictly enforced, then you will have loads of people who will get into the lines without checks.
At the same time, if it is strictly enforced, and lines build up, then you have a ton of unhappy guests.

But they have a few weeks of non-peak visitors to test this and see if it causes headaches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom