Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

BuddyThomas

Animation looks pretty good. But....plot???? Hello, plot???? Are you out there plot??? I can't see or find you anywhere.
From IMDB.COM - "The film journeys alongside an unlikely pair, Ember and Wade, in a city where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together. The fiery young woman and the go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: how much they actually have in common."

Phroobar

Isn't this basically a story about dating outside of your culture? Asian girl / White boy. Asian girl's parents not happy and won't let her keep him?

Disney Analyst

I personally didn't see anything in the trailer that would conjure those particular associations.

I mean, I think it's generally implied, but not necessarily that specific. For that poster, that may be a scenario close to them, which is why the trailer brings up that scenario for them, but in general I think the movie does speak to those themes. The idea of going against the traditions of your family, expectations, the perceived "norm" by the general public or those close to you. I could see this story applying to a lot of groups, or situations.

The associations that came to my mind almost instantly:

• Those who are expected to take over a family business, or be interested in a specific sport or activity.
  • Those who are in an interracial relationship
  • Those who are religious / non-religious / of a different religion in a relationship
  • The 2slgbtqia+ community and our experience with relationships, family, coming out.
  • The general act of growing up / possibly not matching expectations.

It's a tale as old as time, and incredibly relevant to this day.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Phroobar

This would be an appropriate IP for the Play Pavilion replacement with entire area devoted to Elements and edutainment.
Good idea. They can add another section on emotions using Inside Out.
Another section could use Turning Red for a frank discussion on..... oh, never mind.

LittleBuford

I mean, I think it's generally implied, but not necessarily that specific. For that poster, that may be a scenario close to them, which is why the trailer brings up that scenario for them, but in general I think the movie does speak to those themes. The idea of going against the traditions of your family, expectations, the perceived "norm" by the general public or those close to you. I could see this story applying to a lot of groups, or situations.

The associations that came to my mind almost instantly:

• Those who are expected to take over a family business, or be interested in a specific sport or activity.
  • Those who are in an interracial relationship
  • Those who are religious / non-religious / of a different religion in a relationship
  • The 2slgbtqia+ community and our experience with relationships, family, coming out.
  • The general act of growing up / possibly not matching expectations.

It's a tale as old as time, and incredibly relevant to this day.
I certainly think the story speaks to themes of love across cultural boundaries; that much is clear from the trailer and implied in my earlier post anyway. It's the Asian/white framing in particular that I was commenting on. I see nothing that specific in the trailer.

Sir_Cliff

Looks great! Certainly one of Pixar's better trailers.

I hope this is the film where Disney figures out how to make a reasonable box office return before putting their animated films on Disney+.

The Great Gonzo

I think the designs could have been better. They didn't have to be so literal with their representation of the elements. I think they could have been more effective characters if they were more human looking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom