Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

TalkingHead

His comments on the idea behind the movie make this sound like the high-concept Turning Red. Teaser doesn’t look like an easy sell. On paper anthropomorphized fire girl and water man sounds more like a short than a feature film.

Seems like it’ll be a big test to see what kind of clout the Pixar brand still has in 2023. Coco in 2017 was the last original, non-sequel story that did well for them, and like Encanto the cultural theme drove some audience engagement with that one. Elemental will be closer to Inside Out as far as original concepts go.

Very curious what the corporate response will be if (when?) this underperforms.

Phroobar

His comments on the idea behind the movie make this sound like the high-concept Turning Red. Teaser doesn’t look like an easy sell. On paper anthropomorphized fire girl and water man sounds more like a short than a feature film.

Seems like it’ll be a big test to see what kind of clout the Pixar brand still has in 2023. Coco in 2017 was the last original, non-sequel story that did well for them, and like Encanto the cultural theme drove some audience engagement with that one. Elemental will be closer to Inside Out as far as original concepts go.

Very curious what the corporate response will be if (when?) this underperforms.
I agree it does look like Inside Out. We've already visited the overbearing Asian mom stereotype in Turning Red.

I think Warner Brothers knows they really don't have any competition for that date. It's obvious to them that people are trained to wait for a Pixar movie on Disney+.

TwilightZone

Flash has its main actor dooming it, that's the main point against its success. Elemental looks creative, and as the director said, very "universal" appeal. It's a love story mixed with some Zootopia-esque themes about race. If it gets good advertisement I could see it doing decently well. But honestly I don't see either movie making huge money. Could be wrong though

doctornick

I'm wondering what people are watching because the trailer for Elemental to me looks awesome and really feels like old school Pixar. Fun premise filled with an emotional punch. I actually feel pretty good that this will be a hit especially if Disney does the sensible thing and lengthens the theatrical window (making it longer people to have to wait to see for "free" on Disney+) before going to streaming.

This looks nothing like Strange World, for example, which was kinda buried and blown off by the company as they knew they had a dude. They actually seem to be promoting this.

LittleBuford

It doesn't look very good. It seems to suffer from what Onward had, which is a fantasy world that still feels too tethered to our real world and way too mundane.
I love Onward and think it’s a really underrated film. It’ll always hold a special place in my heart as the last film I watched at a cinema in the Before Times.

DKampy

I love Onward and think it’s a really underrated film. It’ll always hold a special place in my heart as the last film I watched at a cinema in the Before Times.
Yeah…I certainly get that…I feel like one will never forget their last film in “the before times” mine was The Invisible Man”…IMO…a great movie as well

jeangreyforever

It was the last movie I watched in a theater as well for about a year and a half. I will say that as underwhelmed as I was by the early trailers, I thought the final movie was much better. I've always appreciated how Dan Scanlon's movies never shy away from the truth and are pretty realistic in their messages. How even in a fantasy world, dead is still dead and the lead will never get to know his dad.

That being said, even though I ended up liking it, I haven't felt much of an urge to revisit it and I still think the premise of a fantasy world where magic has died out wasn't executed all that well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Thomas Newman (American Beauty, The Shawshank Redemption, 1917, Skyfall) has been tapped to score the upcoming animated feature Elemental. The film is directed by Peter Sohn (The Good Dinosaur) and features the voices of Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie. The movie is set in Element City, where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together and revolves around a tough, quick-witted and fiery young woman, whose friendship with a fun, sappy, go-with-the-flow guy challenges her beliefs about the world they live in. Denise Ream is producing the Pixar Animation Studios production. Newman has previously scored Pixar’s Finding Nemo, Wall-E and Finding Dory."

OwlHouseKing97

In the Parks
No
Here is the new trailer for Elemental, coming to theaters June 16, 2023.

I don’t get why Warner Bros had to be foolish enough for The Flash to be pushed up to June 16th, the same day as Elemental’s release, I really don’t want this to be a big flop at the box office, because Disney has suffered enough from poorly performing animated films this decade(Onward didn’t last long because of the pandemic shutting down cinemas(and it didn’t return to the big screen), Soul, Luca, & Turning Red were wrongfully moved to Disney+(even though other studios bought War with Grandpa, Croods: A New Age, Boss Baby 2, Spirit: Untamed, and whatever else was in theaters during that time span(yes even during a pandemic), Raya was released day and date on both Disney+ for $30 and in theaters, Encanto had to wait out to find its audience until its Disney+ release, and Lightyear & Strange World both flopped hard at the box office(thanks to competition from the third mid Jurassic World(plus Top Gun 2) & Wakanda Forever respectively) due to both getting very mixed reviews and audiences understandably not caring about the two toons)

For this one, it has to be a hit at the box office, even if it doesn’t open at number one thanks to stupid Flash still happening(with its lead being a horrible person in real life), it should at least pull an Inside Out opening weekend(where it opens at #2, but can actually be profitable unlike Lightyear), there hasn’t been an animated Disney movie since Frozen 2 that opened at number one(I know Raya and Encanto were at number one, but they opened on top barely), and a Pixar movie that has opened at number one(NOT counting Onward), since Toy Story 4, and were successful based upon the box office alone(yes, Elemental wouldn’t make it to number one and yes it wouldn’t make as much money as the Mario movie(and I would like to say Across the Spider Verse, but we’ll see what happens to that film in theaters), but I hope it does better than what DreamWorks will do next with Ruby Gillman, so Universal can’t always be the number one choice for animated movies on the big screen)

If Elemental becomes another flop for Pixar, then Warner Bros will get the last laugh, for having Flash starring Ezra Miller beat out a Pixar movie on the big screen

Magenta Panther

Here is the new trailer for Elemental, coming to theaters June 16, 2023.

Cute. This looks like a return to form for Pixar. Yes, it's based on the old opposites-attract concept, but there's nothing wrong with that if it's done well. Too bad Iger has generated a lot of hostility from the public, as that, plus competition, could affect this movie's box office. We'll see what happens.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney has announced a new animated short, Carl's Date, will also debut with Elemental.

Carl's Date was originally announced as coming to Disney+.

"With Elemental, Pixar Animation Studios will resume the magical moviegoing tradition of pairing their feature film with an animated short. The new short, Carl’s Date, catches up with Carl Fredricksen (voiced by Ed Asner) and his lovable talking dog, Dug (voiced by Bob Peterson), who were introduced in Pixar’s Oscar®-winning feature Up. Written and directed by Emmy® Award winner Peterson and produced by Kim Collins, Carl’s Date finds Carl reluctantly agreeing to go on a date with a lady friend—but admittedly with no idea how dating works these days. Ever the helpful friend, Dug steps in to calm Carl’s pre-date jitters and offer some tried-and-true tips for making friends—if you’re a dog."

1920_CD_Poster-KeyArt-VRT-TT-300dpi_WIP16_Mech8-768x1138.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom