Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

mickEblu

I'd imagine any future pitches will have to be amended just a bit from that. "We want this next movie to be like Elemental, except it will be one where people will actually want to pay to go see it."

That said, I think of my favorite Disney movies, and I don't "see myself represented" in any of them. Why would I? Who would care?

I'm just a normal American schmuck who has never lived in Edwardian England or had a magical nanny or knew any animals that could speak to me. I also have never had a car that could drive itself down Lombard Street, or had evil villains trying to kidnap my pets, or been caught in the middle of a giant stampede across the African veldt, let alone had a flying brass bed to escape the Nazis in.

Now that I type that.... Geez, my life has really been boring and dumb. No wonder I have never "seen myself represented". 🤣

What studio exec would ever bother with a movie plot of "Man Goes to Home Depot Three Times In One Day Just To Install New Mailbox, Then Triumphantly Orders Pizza". No one wants to see me represented in that. No one.

Well that might be kind of boring but I’d definitely tune into a show where you go to the market to buy artichokes, steaks and scotch. Then you can go home and cook and show us how you get ready for the dinner party.

BuddyThomas

not ignoring, its in the list of things. Although I will debate that the way the united states has handled themselves after covid to be an impact as well. People want to stay in to watch movies or streaming contact, have their food delivered to their door, and all of their daily purchases from walmart or amazon.
Amazon, walmart, Door dash and streaming services used the pandemic to change culture.

But I do agree with your point as Id stated earlier,
"The backlash against Disney was not what it is now

The other side of the coin Disney didnt cram as much of their opinions in their animated movies, regardless of what you believe, most Disney movies (live action or animated) will have at least one social commentary in it. And that has irked some of the people that used to feel the movies were "safe", in a completely fake Leave it to Beaver style world."
"Some of the people that used to feel the movies were "safe" " did not have any problem with racist crows in Dumbo, flat out racist Disney cartoons, or Song of the South. But now they have problems because a non-binary character is shown on screen for less than two seconds (seriously).

Some of the people want a world that has not progressed.

BuddyThomas

As a gay guy I'm just frustrated that Disney has wasted their chances to have truly meaningful LGBT rep over these nothing-minor characters. Disney will probably use the small LGBT content in Lightyear, Strange World, Jungle Cruise, Elemental, etc. as an excuse to stop having LGBT representation altogether. And that's infuriating because the representation in all of these movies has been pretty minor, anyway!

Of the Disney movies with LGBT moments, Strange World probably had the best representation thus far, but it was still a small part of the movie, all things considered. Strange World also wasn't a particularly good film. I think having a gay character in a bad movie doesn't do the gay community any favors.

I've said this before, but I would rather have one great Disney movie where the main characters are a queer couple and nine other movies with no LGBT characters than 10 movies that all have minor and insignificant LGBT characters. The non-binary character in Elemental won't inspire people and save lives, because they aren't a character! Their identity isn't explored in any meaningful way, I have no idea what their goals/dreams/aspirations are. It's not actual representation, it's just useless virtue signaling that allows Disney to pat itself on the back for doing the bare minimum.
Well.........I agree with almost all of this, but I disagree that it is virtue signaling, even though I did not even notice the non-binary character in Elemental. But you see the ridiculous outrage from all the right wingers because of two seconds on screen - can you imagine what the loons would do if there was an LGBTQ character with a significant role? Look how they tried to destroy Strange World. In any case, it's pride month, and I'm not putting up with any crap from any of these ignorant phobes. Not this month. Not ever.

erasure fan1

But you see the ridiculous outrage from all the right wingers because of two seconds on screen - can you imagine what the loons would do if there was an LGBTQ character with a significant role? Look how they tried to destroy Strange World.
So if the "right wing loons" are outraged and won't see it. Why would that stop the left winged loons from seeing it? Groups try to "destroy" things all the time. But if the community believes in the product, and goes out and supports it, those attempts usually fail. Just look at how the left tried to destroy Hogwarts legacy. It didn't work, the fans went out and supported the product and it was extremely successful.

BuddyThomas

So if the "right wing loons" are outraged and won't see it. Why would that stop the left winged loons from seeing it? Groups try to "destroy" things all the time. But if the community believes in the product, and goes out and supports it, those attempts usually fail. Just look at how the left tried to destroy Hogwarts legacy. It didn't work, the fans went out and supported the product and it was extremely successful.
What are you trying to say? Just say it.

TP2000

Well that might be kind of boring but I’d definitely tune into a show where you go to the market to buy artichokes, steaks and scotch. Then you can go home and cook and show us how you get ready for the dinner party.

My Gawd, last Friday afternoon I bought an artichoke at Harmons that was as big as your head! Big! As! Your! Head!!!

I showed it proudly to my favorite checker lady and she said I should have my photo taken with it for the store’s “Community Notes” bulletin board. 🤣

All that rain and the cold winter obviously made it a very good year in Salinas!

Cmdr_Crimson

Doubt will see these in the parks unless Ariel is sticking around at OMD but they had the M&G versions of Ember & Wade during the premier..
FyMSuDMaYAEvox4

TP2000

Doubt will see these in the parks unless Ariel is sticking around at OMD but they had the M&G versions of Ember & Wade during the premier..
FyMSuDMaYAEvox4

Yeah, I doubt we'll see these. But honestly, shouldn't they already be in the parks after the opening weekend? They obviously knew not to bother with this one.

My other thought on this photo is... how does that young lady get her dress to stay on? Tape? Glue? Some sort of new 3M product?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I doubt we'll see these. But honestly, shouldn't they already be in the parks after the opening weekend? They obviously knew not to bother with this one.

My other thought on this photo is... how does that young lady get her dress to stay on? Tape? Glue? Some sort of new 3M product?
…I think she was in the opening scene of temple of doom?

…smooth criminal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom