Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

doctornick

Regarding the characters and M&G, I just think they'd be difficult to have good "show" since one is supposed to be y'know fire and the other water. They'd only really work in some screen form with physical effects of heat/fire and being sprayed with water.

They'd potentially work for a "Turtle Time with Crush" type setup maybe. But not really a traditional M&G.

Phroobar

Regarding the characters and M&G, I just think they'd be difficult to have good "show" since one is supposed to be y'know fire and the other water. They'd only really work in some screen form with physical effects of heat/fire and being sprayed with water.

They'd potentially work for a "Turtle Time with Crush" type setup maybe. But not really a traditional M&G.
You do know at the M&G guests are not going to get burnt or wet? Guests could have some cute pictures where they try to put one character out with the other. Odds are most guests aren't going to know who they are in the first place.

dreday3

I don't think Disney should give up on representation and inclusivity just because some people can't accept it. They need to keep forging ahead, get through the rough patches that will surely come and one day (not too far I hope) this will mostly be behind us except for a vocal minority. Things will change, future generations will make that happen, but it just won't be right away. It's the path they chose to go on and I think they should stay with it. People need to get used to seeing all kinds of people in movies, tv, commercials, life, not just who they are comfortable with.

No societal change was every easy.

One day people won't think "hey they stuck a lesbian couple in this movie for no reason" but rather it will just be another couple in a movie...for no reason. 😄

They can finesse how they do it, of course, but that too takes time. I think if the movie is ultimately just good writing, people will see it.

Phroobar

I don't think Disney should give up on representation and inclusivity just because some people can't accept it. They need to keep forging ahead, get through the rough patches that will surely come and one day (not too far I hope) this will mostly be behind us except for a vocal minority. Things will change, future generations will make that happen, but it just won't be right away. It's the path they chose to go on and I think they should stay with it. People need to get used to seeing all kinds of people in movies, tv, commercials, life, not just who they are comfortable with.

No societal change was every easy.

One day people won't think "hey they stuck a lesbian couple in this movie for no reason" but rather it will just be another couple in a movie...for no reason. 😄

They can finesse how they do it, of course, but that too takes time. I think if the movie is ultimately just good writing, people will see it.
What does this have to do with imaginary fire and water people?

Phroobar

Is that why they don't put the latest movie Characters into the parks on opening weekend any more? Because of Disney+???

If so, they're even dumber than I thought on that whole Disney+ thing.
Didn't they have a whole Inside Out float in the Pixar Play Parade before the movie was released? Heck they used to have full parades for movie releases. Lion King parade, Hercules parade, Hunchback show. No synergy in the parks anymore. Not even a preview trailer kicking Kermit out of his own theater.

Where is my Elemental dance party? Where is Indiana Jones doing a stunt show over Adventureland? Where is my Little Mermaid parade? They might bring back Captain Marvel M&G but that is for the dads.

Last edited:

TP2000

Didn't they have a whole Inside Out float in the Pixar Play Parade before the movie was released? Heck they used to have full parades for movie releases. Lion King parade, Hercules parade, Hunchback show. No synergy in the parks anymore. Not even a preview trailer kicking Kermit out of his own theater.

I had to go to Google, because I thought we'd said something over in the Disneyland thread about Elemental...

Oh, yeah. There's a pre-show for World of Color this summer. I forgot about that. They're also drawing Elemental characters in DCA's Animation Academy show.

According to this very long Parks Blog post, all of the Elemental experiences are only happening at the Disneyland Resort. They don't have anything going on at WDW this summer for Elemental, except for some merchandise at World of Disney. Because, as we all know, they just don't have the space out at WDW to do this kind of stuff like Disneyland has. Ah, the blessing of size. :cool:

Phroobar

I had to go to Google, because I thought we'd said something over in the Disneyland thread about Elemental...

Oh, yeah. There's a pre-show for World of Color this summer. I forgot about that. They're also drawing Elemental characters in DCA's Animation Academy show.

According to this very long Parks Blog post, all of the Elemental experiences are only happening at the Disneyland Resort. They don't have anything going on at WDW this summer for Elemental, except for some merchandise at World of Disney. Because, as we all know, they just don't have the space out at WDW to do this kind of stuff like Disneyland has. Ah, the blessing of size. :cool:

Too little and way too late. The game is already over. Who wants to draw a picture of a blobby water boy?

Disney Analyst

At my showing of The Little Mermaid last night, the Elemental trailer played, and it ended with simply "2023". I was shocked. Not an actual date, let alone a "now playing".

I am unsure if the theatre itself is playing the wrong trailer, or what? A friend used to work for theatres and did say they would sometimes not play the correct ones, which seems weird to me.

TP2000

Too little and way too late. The game is already over. Who wants to draw a picture of a blobby water boy?

At least it might be an easy assignment.

About 20 years ago I took my young nephews to that Animation Academy show and we had to draw Mickey Mouse. The boys had drawings that were clearly Mickey Mouse. Mine came out looking oddly like a bowl of fettucine, with eyes. :confused:

Their mom (my little sister) hung it on her fridge every Thanksgiving for years just to keep me in my place.

TP2000

At my showing of The Little Mermaid last night, the Elemental trailer played, and it ended with simply "2023". I was shocked. Not an actual date, let alone a "now playing".

I am unsure if the theatre itself is playing the wrong trailer, or what? A friend used to work for theatres and did say they would sometimes not play the correct ones, which seems weird to me.

I'm sure it happens all the time, especially with likely digital technology at the push of a button.

In my youth I worked one summer at a movie theater downtown. For unknown reasons and unwisely, I was upgraded to projectionist assistant, which was really just the projectionist while the real projectionist was smoking cigarettes and flirting with the snack bar girls. I made some horrific mistakes, including playing the wrong reel several times so that people expecting a John Wayne Western suddenly got Doris Day in The Glass Bottom Boat. There was a rack of reels, some months old, and the only tracking system was smudgy pen on old IBM cards taped to the cannisters.

I bet all it takes now is a few keystrokes, and you either get the right one or you're playing some leftover from six months ago. Do they even have projectionists in multiplexes, or is it just one kid sitting at a computer (and still flirting with the snack bar girls)?

WorldExplorer

That reminds me of this;

Don't know if it only showed in theaters playing Harry Potter (probably not), but that's being on top of things.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm sure it happens all the time, especially with likely digital technology at the push of a button.

In my youth I worked one summer at a movie theater downtown. For unknown reasons and unwisely, I was upgraded to projectionist assistant, which was really just the projectionist while the real projectionist was smoking cigarettes and flirting with the snack bar girls. I made some horrific mistakes, including playing the wrong reel several times so that people expecting a John Wayne Western suddenly got Doris Day in The Glass Bottom Boat. There was a rack of reels, some months old, and the only tracking system was smudgy pen on old IBM cards taped to the cannisters.

I bet all it takes now is a few keystrokes, and you either get the right one or you're playing some leftover from six months ago. Do they even have projectionists in multiplexes, or is it just one kid sitting at a computer (and still flirting with the snack bar girls)?
I worked for airborne express in college and we delivered the movie reels to the theaters, I’m pretty sure I still have bruises from those orange metal cases they came in. Weird to think that non of that probably exists anymore, as you said, just a kid sitting at a computer playing a digital file.

Phroobar

I bet if you screwed up you would have Hulk Hogan yelling at you from the audience.

2023-06-21 13_41_18-Gremlins 2 (1990) - Hulk Hogan Scene (HD) - YouTube.jpg

TP2000

I worked for airborne express in college and we delivered the movie reels to the theaters, I’m pretty sure I still have bruises from those orange metal cases they came in. Weird to think that non of that probably exists anymore, as you said, just a kid sitting at a computer playing a digital file.

Isn't it funny how stuff changes? I remember the projector was this massive thing, from West Germany (I forget the brand name), and we handled it like a newborn baby. It could be very touchy, but once you got it operating correctly it hummed and whirred beautifully. It was about 125 degrees to the touch, which is probably why the projectionist deemed me his "assistant" and left so often, because it got so hot in the booth. 🤣

On the topic of the wrong Elemental preview playing, that's just sloppy. If it's really just down to keyboard strokes, I would think the studios would have the digital ability to rescind or delete any previous features or content from them to prevent improper marketing.

Or maybe it really is just a kid at a keyboard controlling two dozen theaters in a multiplex, and sometimes the kid pushes the wrong preview?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I can't speak specifically about your theater, but there are several ways they can get movies and trailers today. With today's digital projectors they can download everything including the trailers directly via internet connections or they are shipped a hard drive that also includes the "approved" trailers. I believe they then have to "package" the Studio "approved" trailers to be played in-front of the movie.

So they probably just didn't download/change out the updated trailer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's really interesting how it works now.

But I really do think we have to take into consideration which girls were working the snack bar that night. Teenagers, after all.
Since those changes are done during the late night hours after the theater is closed, it wouldn't matter who was working at the concession stand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom