Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

TalkingHead

And then of course, Spiderman Across the Universe kicked the industry twenty years into the future; I think that film is one of the audiovisual highlight of the last couple years, and a legitimate landmark achievement in the history of cinema. All these films broke open the mold of CGI animation. But Pixar has, by and large, still been trapped toward the realism look they've always been going toward.
This whole post but this especially.

Strongly believe one of the main reasons for Spider-verse enthusiasm is that impressionistic style that opens the film. Would absolutely love for Pixar to show some competitive spirit, find the right situation, and do their Fantasia. Alas.

ppete1975

Yeah…we saw onward in the theater and it has a ton of heart…and popular voices

It got a raw deal

Turning red may have done ok
Sadly less than 5 years later we are in a completely different world.
Before
Any movie that came out that was Disney or Pixar, parents automatically loaded the kids and went to the movie theater.
If you didnt see it in theaters it might be a year before you could see it
People were much more into going to the theater, it was part of daily life.
Relax and chill was not a part of life as much as it is now
The backlash against Disney was not what it is now

The other side of the coin Disney didnt cram as much of their opinions in their animated movies, regardless of what you believe, most Disney movies (live action or animated) will have at least one social commentary in it. And that has irked some of the people that used to feel the movies were "safe", in a completely fake Leave it to Beaver style world.

Now most people will stream things, and just wait.
Or they are against everything Disney.
I have seen probably a dozen movies in theaters this year as its my escape from the real world. And even opening day, nothing has the crowds it did pre pandemic, regardless of studio.

ppete1975

I love how everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. You can't keep ticking off half of your audience and expect stellar results.
not ignoring, its in the list of things. Although I will debate that the way the united states has handled themselves after covid to be an impact as well. People want to stay in to watch movies or streaming contact, have their food delivered to their door, and all of their daily purchases from walmart or amazon.
Amazon, walmart, Door dash and streaming services used the pandemic to change culture.

But I do agree with your point as Id stated earlier,
"The backlash against Disney was not what it is now

The other side of the coin Disney didnt cram as much of their opinions in their animated movies, regardless of what you believe, most Disney movies (live action or animated) will have at least one social commentary in it. And that has irked some of the people that used to feel the movies were "safe", in a completely fake Leave it to Beaver style world."

Ghost93

I still don’t understand how they think this will get more people in seats when it does the opposite. I think Disney shot their shot too early with Lightyear and Strange World and are still experiencing the fall out.
I saw the movie and had no idea the character was non-binary. While I support the inclusion, it was so minor that it wasn't even worth noting. The character (if you can even call them a character, the role is so small) doesn't even identify as non-binary in the film! The actor bragging they are playing the first "non-binary" character on social media won't drive LGBT people to see the movie, as the representation is so minor that it's extremely easy to miss. In fact, all I think it will do is just fuel anti-LGBT boycotts of the film and give Disney haters another reason to celebrate the film's failure at the box office for going "woke."

I think the people working on these movies should just let the LGBT rep speak for itself instead of congratulating themselves and getting headlines over blink-and-you-miss-it moments.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I saw the movie and had no idea the character was non-binary. While I support the inclusion, it was so minor that it wasn't even worth noting. The character (if you can even call them a character, the role is so small) doesn't even identify as non-binary in the film! The actor bragging they are playing the first "non-binary" character on social media won't drive LGBT people to see the movie, as the representation is so minor that it's extremely easy to miss. In fact, all I think it will do is just fuel anti-LGBT boycotts of the film and give Disney haters another reason to celebrate the film's failure at the box office for going "woke."

I think the people working on these movies should just let the LGBT rep speak for itself instead of congratulating themselves and getting headlines over blink-and-you-miss-it moments.
I knew that that character was envisioned to be non-binary and I was attentive to how that was clued in in the movie and it went by so fast that I quite literally missed it. I was all "wait... was that it?"

Never mind that most of the elemental people, and especially the water ones, weren't stereotypically engendered to begin with (with a few exceptions). The elemental nature of their existence sorta blurred out their secondary sexual features.

Ghost93

I knew that that character was envisioned to be non-binary and I was attentive to how that was clued in in the movie and it went by so fast that I quite literally missed it. I was all "wait... was that it?"

Never mind that most of the elemental people, and especially the water ones, weren't stereotypically engendered to begin with (with a few exceptions). The elemental nature of their existence sorta blurred out their secondary sexual features.
As a gay guy I'm just frustrated that Disney has wasted their chances to have truly meaningful LGBT rep over these nothing-minor characters. Disney will probably use the small LGBT content in Lightyear, Strange World, Jungle Cruise, Elemental, etc. as an excuse to stop having LGBT representation altogether. And that's infuriating because the representation in all of these movies has been pretty minor, anyway!

Of the Disney movies with LGBT moments, Strange World probably had the best representation thus far, but it was still a small part of the movie, all things considered. Strange World also wasn't a particularly good film. I think having a gay character in a bad movie doesn't do the gay community any favors.

I've said this before, but I would rather have one great Disney movie where the main characters are a queer couple and nine other movies with no LGBT characters than 10 movies that all have minor and insignificant LGBT characters. The non-binary character in Elemental won't inspire people and save lives, because they aren't a character! Their identity isn't explored in any meaningful way, I have no idea what their goals/dreams/aspirations are. It's not actual representation, it's just useless virtue signaling that allows Disney to pat itself on the back for doing the bare minimum.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As a gay guy I'm just frustrated that Disney has wasted their chances to have truly meaningful LGBT rep over these nothing-minor characters. Disney will probably use the small LGBT content in Lightyear, Strange World, Jungle Cruise, Elemental, etc. as an excuse to stop having LGBT representation altogether. And that's infuriating because the representation in all of these movies has been pretty minor, anyway!

Of the Disney movies with LGBT moments, Strange World probably had the best representation thus far, but it was still a small part of the movie, all things considered. Strange World also wasn't a particularly good film. I think having a gay character in a bad movie doesn't do the gay community any favors.

I've said this before, but I would rather have one great Disney movie where the main characters are a queer couple and nine other movies with no LGBT characters than 10 movies that all have minor and insignificant LGBT characters. The non-binary character in Elemental won't inspire people and save lives, because they aren't a character! Their identity isn't explored in any meaningful way, I have no idea what their goals/dreams/aspirations are. It's not actual representation, it's just useless virtue signaling that allows Disney to pat itself on the back for doing the bare minimum.
Disney isn't going to stop with any type of inclusion no matter the Box Office, that I can pretty much guarantee. It might not be totally "in your face" but it'll continue.

TP2000

Is this a new angle for Elemental? I don't remember it being brought up here: Elemental is now also about living with disabilities?

For this reviewer, Ember is like a disabled person trying to navigate a world (water) that isn't designed for her?

mickEblu

Is this a new angle for Elemental? I don't remember it being brought up here: Elemental is now also about living with disabilities?

For this reviewer, Ember is like a disabled person trying to navigate a world (water) that isn't designed for her?

Nah, that’s a reach.

Tha Realest

I’m not sure how that squares with the pitch of “Guess who’s coming to dinner” in a way that’s not offensive to…some group?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

That is the good thing about movies like Elemental, any one can see themselves being represented in different aspects of the story. That is why its important overall for Disney and Hollywood in general to continue to tell stories just like this one.

TP2000

That is the good thing about movies like Elemental, any one can see themselves being represented in different aspects of the story. That is why its important overall for Disney and Hollywood in general to continue to tell stories just like this one.

I'd imagine any future pitches will have to be amended just a bit from that. "We want this next movie to be like Elemental, except it will be one where people will actually want to pay to go see it."

That said, I think of my favorite Disney movies, and I don't "see myself represented" in any of them. Why would I? Who would care?

I'm just a normal American schmuck who has never lived in Edwardian England or had a magical nanny or knew any animals that could speak to me. I also have never had a car that could drive itself down Lombard Street, or had evil villains trying to kidnap my pets, or been caught in the middle of a giant stampede across the African veldt, let alone had a flying brass bed to escape the Nazis in.

Now that I type that.... Geez, my life has really been boring and dumb. No wonder I have never "seen myself represented". 🤣

What studio exec would ever bother with a movie plot of "Man Goes to Home Depot Three Times In One Day Just To Install New Mailbox, Then Triumphantly Orders Pizza". No one wants to see me represented in that. No one.

TsWade2

Representation aside, I‘m very concern for the future of Pixar. I mean, I know you guys told me it’s not the end of Pixar and I’ll do my best to believe that, but since Elemental flopped really bad than Lightyear, this does make me feel concern. I can’t think on what Disney would do to make Pixar great again, but whatever it is, they need to step on it. And now, I’m worried for the future box office results on Wish. I hope Pixar will do better with Elio and Inside Out 2.🥺😢

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Representation aside, I‘m very concern for the future of Pixar. I mean, I know you guys told me it’s not the of Pixar and I’ll do my best to believe that, but since Elemental flopped really bad than Lightyear, this does make me feel concern. I can’t think on what Disney would do to make Pixar great again, but whatever it is, they need to step on it. And now, I’m worried for the future box office results on Wish. I hope Pixar will do better with Elio and Inside Out 2.🥺😢
Don’t be concerned! Our betters constantly reassure us the vitals of the company are strong across all sectors. As long as someone, somewhere, is inspired, and Disney continues to have a cultural impact, Pixar’s in good hands!

Rest assured there are no internal nor external pressures for the studios to turn a profit!

TsWade2

Don’t be concerned! Our betters constantly reassure us the vitals of the company are strong across all sectors. As long as someone, somewhere, is inspired, and Disney continues to have a cultural impact, Pixar’s in good hands!

Rest assured there are no internal nor external pressures for the studios to turn a profit!
Okay. Thanks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd imagine any future pitches will have to be amended just a bit from that. "We want this next movie to be like Elemental, except it will be one where people will actually want to pay to go see it."

That said, I think of my favorite Disney movies, and I don't "see myself represented" in any of them. Why would I? Who would care?

I'm just a normal American schmuck who has never lived in Edwardian England or had a magical nanny or knew any animals that could speak to me. I also have never had a car that could drive itself down Lombard Street, or had evil villains trying to kidnap my pets, or been caught in the middle of a giant stampede across the African veldt, let alone had a flying brass bed to escape the Nazis in.

Now that I type that.... Geez, my life has really been boring and dumb. No wonder I have never "seen myself represented". 🤣

What studio exec would ever bother with a movie plot of "Man Goes to Home Depot Three Times In One Day Just To Install New Mailbox, Then Triumphantly Orders Pizza". No one wants to see me represented in that. No one.
Just because you personally don't see yourself in any film doesn't mean others won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom