Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Phroobar

iu

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope you’re saying that your wish is we can not mindlessly draw sides and explain the financials on this?

I’m all tapped out of “they audience is too stupid to understand the genius” countered with “you ain’t gonna tell me I can’t be WHITE!!” Type nonsense.

Tennis for fools

TP2000

Too bad, tho, that something merely 'comfort food' has to compete with so many tentpoles. This would have been better released near Valentine's day and marketed as a romance.

I get what you're saying, but...

Pixar spent $200 Million to produce a cute romcom that should have been released against weak competition in the dead of winter?

That seems to prove my point that these hugely bloated budgets are idiotic and unsustainable, if not nearly criminal.

Do you think these mainstream media headlines get parents excited to take the family to the movies?

Certainly makes the DEI staff happy, but clearly not driving the box office.

USA Today:

'You feel it all deeply': Pixar's first rom-com 'Elemental' talks frankly about racism​

Yikes. What's hilarious about that is the clueless "journalists" at USA Today think this is actually helpful to the movie. 🤣

When in reality, media coverage like this just makes most parents roll their eyes and avoid the latest Pixar summer flick like an expired can of bug spray. This was supposed to be a fun family film for summer, remember. Not frank talk about racism (which it isn't).

TP2000

A crummy Monday morning for execs at Disney and Pixar. Variety has just declared Elemental a "Bomb". Ouch. :oops:

This hilariously out of touch paragraph made me laugh out loud though...

“It’s more expensive for a family of four to go to a theater when they know they can wait and it’ll come out on the platform,” Docter has since admitted to Variety. Now, the studio is attempting to reverse course. In an effort to remind the public that Pixar is once again making movies for multiplexes, Disney shelled out to send “Elemental” to the Cannes Film Festival, where it was greeted with a five-minute standing ovation. “We’re trying to make sure people realize there’s a great deal you’re missing by not seeing it on the big screen,” Docter added.

Yes, because goodness knows that the glittery-elite audience at Cannes is exactly like the American family audience pulling up to the mall multiplex in a minivan. It was a huge hit at Cannes, so why did it bomb in Columbus and Charlotte and Corpus Christi???

CaptainAmerica

A crummy Monday morning for execs at Disney and Pixar. Variety has just declared Elemental a "Bomb". Ouch. :oops:

“It’s more expensive for a family of four to go to a theater when they know they can wait and it’ll come out on the platform,” Docter has since admitted to Variety. Now, the studio is attempting to reverse course. In an effort to remind the public that Pixar is once again making movies for multiplexes, Disney shelled out to send “Elemental” to the Cannes Film Festival, where it was greeted with a five-minute standing ovation. “We’re trying to make sure people realize there’s a great deal you’re missing by not seeing it on the big screen,” Docter added.

Yes, because goodness knows that the glittery-elite audience at Cannes is exactly like the American family audience pulling up to the mall multiplex in a minivan. It was a huge hit at Cannes, so why did it bomb in Columbus and Charlotte and Corpus Christi???
"Ford wanted to know what features truck drivers valued most in full-sized pickups, so they spent several days interviewing the faculty of the Columbia University Women's Studies department."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I had the same thought…

They’re lost. Tell simple stories with heart, Heroes and villains.

Did I mention the entire board and management needs to go?

TP2000

From another Variety article today, the respected industry mag confirms the price tags for production and marketing of Elemental.

"At the domestic box office, “Elemental” flopped with $25.9 million, landing by far the worst start in Pixar’s history. Like “The Flash,” “Elemental” also cost $200 million to produce and roughly $100 million to promote."

Does the Smart Set here want to do their wizard math on that for a break even number?

Because my damp cocktail napkin math says that Elemental needs to make at least $600 Million globally to break even. :eek:

CaptainAmerica

From another Variety article today, the respected industry mag confirms the price tags for production and marketing of Elemental.

"At the domestic box office, “Elemental” flopped with $25.9 million, landing by far the worst start in Pixar’s history. Like “The Flash,” “Elemental” also cost $200 million to produce and roughly $100 million to promote."
Wait was it revised downward or is that a typo? I though it was 29.5, not 25.9.

Does the Smart Set here want to do their wizard math on that for a break even number?

Because my damp cocktail napkin math says that Elemental needs to make at least $600 Million globally to break even. :eek:

The spin machine usually tries to count the money that Disney pays to itself for the streaming rights to their own movies towards the profitability of the film.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…now…don’t start 😬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom