Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

TP2000

My comment from a few days ago is handy here now that the box office numbers for the weekend are in...

Lightyear flopped, Strange World was a historic mega bomb, and now Elemental looks like it's going to slot somewhere between those two options. At best, a Lightyear style average flop.

And yet both of those animation studios spend $150 to $200 Million on each film to get there? Not sustainable.

It looks like Elemental is going to slot in right under Lightyear. But Elemental had the same $200 Million production budget as Lightyear, so that's not good at all. Tragic, really. Especially for the Sharp Pencil Boys and the women who love them.

Gender Neutral Weekend Box Office.jpg

TP2000

The national and industry media is now weighing in late this afternoon on Elemental's financial status.

This headline from the New York Times, "Pixar's Elemental Falls Flat, Adding to Worries About the Brand" mirrors my overall concern about the Pixar brand/studio and its future.

TalkingHead

Variety: ‘The Flash’ Disappoints With $55 Million Debut, Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Flops With $29.5 Million in Battle of Box Office Lightweights

Hollywood Reporter:
Box Office: Ezra Miller’s ‘The Flash,’ Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Get Iced in Openings

Lotta misery drinks being poured in Burbank this weekend.

TP2000

Variety: ‘The Flash’ Disappoints With $55 Million Debut, Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Flops With $29.5 Million in Battle of Box Office Lightweights

Hollywood Reporter:
Box Office: Ezra Miller’s ‘The Flash,’ Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Get Iced in Openings

Lotta misery drinks being poured in Burbank this weekend.

Elemental opened with only 60% of the domestic box office that Lightyear debut-flopped with exactly one year ago.

I doubt the Burbank execs even went out to Mimosa brunch in Silver Lake today to show their faces in public. Probably just stayed home and poured some bourbon in their oatmeal, and are still wearing their pajamas this afternoon.

I have no idea where they go to brunch up in the Bay Area around Emeryville. That town is overrun by homeless folks now, and adjacent Oakland is much worse, apocalyptically so, so the Pixar set must have a brunch place up in the hills now instead. But likely no Mimosas were poured there this morning either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Falls Flat, Adding to Worries About the Brand​

The original animated film took in $29.5 million at the box office, by far the worst opening in Pixar’s three-decade history. “The Flash,” from Warner Bros., also struggled.​
June 18, 2023Updated 3:23 p.m. ET​
Pixar is damaged as a big-screen brand.​
That was one of the rather glum takeaways from the weekend box office, which found “Elemental,” a $200 million-plus Pixar original, arriving to a disastrous $29.5 million in domestic ticket sales. “The Flash,” a Warner Bros. superhero spectacle that cost about $200 million, also struggled, taking in a lethargic $55.1 million, according to Comscore, which compiles ticketing data.​
“Hard to sugarcoat this,” said David A. Gross, a film consultant who publishes a newsletter on box office numbers.​
Questions about Pixar’s health have swirled in Hollywood and among investors since last June, when the Disney-owned studio released “Lightyear” to disastrous results. How could Pixar, the gold standard of animation studios for nearly three decades, have gotten a movie so wrong — especially one about Buzz Lightyear, a bedrock “Toy Story” character?​
Maybe pandemic-worried families were not quite ready to return to theaters. Or maybe, as some box office analysts speculated, Disney had weakened the Pixar brand by using its films to build the Disney+ streaming service. Starting in late 2020, Disney debuted three Pixar films in a row (“Soul,” “Turning Red” and “Luca”) online, bypassing theaters altogether.​
By streaming standards, those three movies were runaway hits. But Pixar’s most recent box office success was in 2019, when “Toy Story 4” took in $1.1 billion worldwide.​
Attendance for “Elemental” over the weekend reinforced the brand problem hypothesis: It was Pixar’s worst opening-weekend result ever in the United States and Canada. The previous bottom was “Onward,” which arrived to $39 million ($46 million after adjusting for inflation) in domestic ticket sales in March 2020, just as the coronavirus pandemic started to sweep the globe.​
“Elemental,” a cross-cultural girl-meets-boy romantic comedy, took in an additional $15 million in limited release overseas, Disney said.​
To re-establish Pixar movies as more than just Disney+ food, the company held a premiere for “Elemental” at the Cannes Film Festival as well as in Los Angeles at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. “We’ve trained audiences that these films will be available for you on Disney+,” Pete Docter, Pixar’s chief creative officer, said on Friday in an interview with Variety, a trade news outlet. “We’re trying to make sure people realize there’s a great deal you’re missing by not seeing it on the big screen.”​
Films based on original stories are becoming harder sells, especially at a time when going to the movies has become more expensive and the broader economy is unsettled. People want to know that spending the money will be worth it. The animated movies that have been succeeding have been based on established characters and franchises.​
“If you don’t swing for original stories you can’t make new franchises, and we swung really hard,” said Tony Chambers, Disney’s executive vice president of theatrical distribution. Referring to intellectual property, he added, “Original I.P. needs to work a lot harder to break through nowadays.”​
Families turned out in colossal numbers for “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” (Universal) in April and “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” (Sony) early this month. Family moviegoing budgets may be used up at this point, and movie watchers know they will be able to catch “Elemental” before long at home.​
Some people in Hollywood and on Wall Street also worry that Pixar’s once-dazzling creative spark has started to flicker. The studio has suffered brain drain; it eliminated 75 jobs last month as part of Disney-wide layoffs and cost cuts. (The “Lightyear” director Angus MacLane, a 26-year Pixar veteran, was among those who received a pink slip.) Pixar has also been pushed to expand into television production to keep the Disney+ shelves stocked. “The higher the volume, the lower the quality,” said Terry Press, a former Disney, DreamWorks and CBS Films executive.​
Reviews for “Elemental” were mostly positive, although to a lesser degree than normal for a Pixar release. Ticket buyers gave it an A grade in CinemaScore exit polls. The “audience score” on Rotten Tomatoes stood at a sky-high 91 percent on Sunday morning.​
In a statement, Disney said that the positive reviews “set us up for a strong theatrical run through the school holiday period.” The next major animated film for families is “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” (Paramount), which does not arrive in theaters until Aug. 2.​
“The Flash” (Warner Bros.) received weaker reviews and a chillier audience response — ticket buyers gave it a B in CinemaScore exit polls — but filled enough seats to rank as the No. 1 movie in the United States and Canada. The movie finds the titular superhero using his powers to travel back in time, accidentally causing mayhem. Batman and Supergirl also figure prominently.​
In part, “The Flash” suffered from timing: It was delayed by the pandemic, finally arriving at a moment when late night shows — crucial movie marketing platforms — are shut down because of a strike by show writers. Warner Bros. and its DC Studios division have also cited superhero fatigue as an explanation for the recent underperformance of a string of their comics-based movies, including “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” and “Black Adam.”​
Ezra Miller, who played the Flash, became a divisive figure after a spate of offscreen legal troubles and erratic behavior in 2021 and 2022. (The actor, who is nonbinary, issued an apology last year and said they were seeking mental health treatment. They largely did not do publicity for “The Flash.”)​
“The superhero world is fantasy, escapist fun,” Mr. Gross said. “Everybody has to play along. This didn’t help.”​

BlakeW39

Unfortunately, so much damage was done to the Disney brand during his tenure that I don't see it going away anytime soon.

not Chapek. Iger. Don't believe the hype. Chapek was bad yes no doubt but most of the current problems in Disney right now were IPger, not $lappie

Disstevefan1

Like the first one, that was a movie made to be watched in 3D in a theater.

It's never going to be that great without the experiential elements.

You can call it a failure of story if you want but it was just made to be an experience, kind of like how nobody would really want to sit around and watch a flight of passage ride-through on a TV in their living room but crowds continue to love it in the park.

I'd just bow out of the whole franchise if you aren't interested in trying to see it in a theater because it's going to disappoint on story, alone.

The first one all but disappeared after it's initial theatrical run for this very reason only to come back and do great on re-release in the lead-up to the new one.
Not trying to portray it as a failure, I watched the first one at home way back in 2009, watching ironically, a bootleg DVD🤣 it was fine.

I will agree, it is totally different at home VS. in the theater, in the theater you have committed your self having traveled there and paid for the seat and there is no pause, stop or rewind. I think that’s the difference for me.

On the other hand,there are series on series on streaming I will binge watch for hours, so if the content grabs me, I will sit there for hours an watch too.

doctornick

Yeah, not sure how exactly to really push "you need to see this in the theater!"?

Maybe special merch only in the theater (popcorn buckets etc)? Maybe offer a discount on tickets for D+ subscribers if you go see it in theaters?
Well you start by not releasing movies on D+ for at least 6 months if not much longer after the theatrical release. Elemental should be the “new on Disney+ family film released for Christmas/winter break” that they’ve done the past few years.

Phroobar

Well you start by not releasing movies on D+ for at least 6 months if not much longer after the theatrical release. Elemental should be the “new on Disney+ family film released for Christmas/winter break” that they’ve done the past few years.
I don't think that would increase box office. People will still wait an additional six months for a Pixar movie. It just isn't an priority event anymore. This makes me wonder if Wish will fail too. It is very possible. Pixar better redesign Eilo before it's too late.

Tha Realest

The national and industry media is now weighing in late this afternoon on Elemental's financial status.

This headline from the New York Times, "Pixar's Elemental Falls Flat, Adding to Worries About the Brand" mirrors my overall concern about the Pixar brand/studio and its future.

Quick, someone tell those analysts a lot of people will watch it on Disney+ in a few months (which will “cost” Disney tens of millions in revenue it could have captured from licensing, but is instead paying itself)

Tha Realest

I don't think that would increase box office. People will still wait an additional six months for a Pixar movie. It just isn't an priority event anymore. This makes me wonder if Wish will fail too. It is very possible. Pixar better redesign Eilo before it's too late.
Yes. And yes.

But before then Indy and The Marvels will similarly disappoint.

TsWade2

I don't want Wish to flop!

WorldExplorer

I want to see if Peter Sohn's going to get the boot.

If directing the flop that is Lightyear is enough to warrant firing, surely directing two huge flops (one of which seems much more like a passion project so you can argue is more his fault) is also enough to warrant it.

mickEblu

I think 6 months should be enough to persuade people to go see a movie that’s getting good reviews. I mean if that isn’t enough, they can make it 10 months. If none of that works then what? Get rid of D+? Start chopping those production budgets in half? Or how about have the movies come out on D+ for $50 (strategically priced here for a family of four) the same time it’s out in theaters . Psychologically the fact that the movie is so close within grasp may propel someone’s to spend just a little more to see it at the theaters or just to go and spend the 15 bucks or whatever.

And if none of that works and original movies are toast maybe they need to rethink the movie theatre experience. Instead of opening a new theatre with 2 big screens, 4 medium and 4 small ones open up theatre's with 4 huge screens that offer 4D experiences. Give people a reason to leave their house and just adjust to the fact that movie theatre's may only be for blockbusters/ sequels now. However that may cause fatigue too. Nobody wants to see Toy Story 10. I’m not sure what the answer is.

Last edited:

TP2000

Pixar is damaged as a big-screen brand.​
How could Pixar, the gold standard of animation studios for nearly three decades, have gotten a movie so wrong — especially one about Buzz Lightyear, a bedrock “Toy Story” character?​
Maybe pandemic-worried families were not quite ready to return to theaters.​

That was the part of that New York Times article that made me laugh out loud. "Pandemic-worried families" didn't want to go to the movies last summer? Talk about living in a New York bubble and being completely out of touch with the nation as a whole. 🤣

Or worse, just throwing out lame excuses like that hoping their readers are idiots who don't remember last summer. 🤣🤣🤣

Scared To Go To The Theater.jpg

Or maybe, just maybe, Covid had nothing at all to do with why Lightyear flopped and why the Pixar brand is now failing? 🤔

Tha Realest

That was the part of that New York Times article that made me laugh out loud. "Pandemic-worried families" didn't want to go to the movies last summer? Talk about living in a New York bubble and being completely out of touch with the nation as a whole. 🤣

Or worse, just throwing out lame excuses like that hoping their readers are idiots who don't remember last summer. 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 724891

Or maybe, just maybe, Covid had nothing at all to do with why Lightyear flopped and why the Pixar brand is now failing? 🤔
Did their worries go away two weeks later when Minions was released en route to a near billion dollar box office?

MrPromey

Not trying to portray it as a failure, I watched the first one at home way back in 2009, watching ironically, a bootleg DVD🤣 it was fine.

I will agree, it is totally different at home VS. in the theater, in the theater you have committed your self having traveled there and paid for the seat and there is no pause, stop or rewind. I think that’s the difference for me.

On the other hand,there are series on series on streaming I will binge watch for hours, so if the content grabs me, I will sit there for hours an watch too.
Oh, I didn't take it that way, I'm just sayin' theater-style isolation chamber asside, so much of these movies rely on an experience we can't get in home viewing.

Like, you hear all the hype about certain movies being made for the "big screen" and how they can only really be appreciated that way. I'd say the Avatar movies are the only ones to date where that is literally true.

I'm not saying that the stories are bad (as Ghost93 said, they are fairly simple, though); the characters all act out of motivation and as far as big movies with lots going on go, the plot-holes are pretty minimal but I think watching it at home for the first time, it would be difficult to appreciate the hype surrounding the theatrical release.

Like when the first one broke all records to become the highest grossing of all time, it was completely believable. For those who haven't seen it in a theater recently, looking back on that, I could understand it being a head-scratcher.

Also, the number of people who had done the ride and didn't even really remember the movie was high because re-watching at home, especially with it being such a long movie, just isn't that appealing. Heck, I went out and bought the first one as soon as it came out and I'm not sure we ever even made it through a single sitting. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom