Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

CaptainAmerica

Ahhh…I think I confuses you with captain America …at any rate the only place I heard the 800 figure were a couple of random people on a Disney fan forum…I have not seen it that high from any analysts including some Disney cynics…hardly all
Deadline Magazine, one of the leading trade publications for Hollywood, reports that The Little Mermaid had a production budget of $250 million and a marketing budget of $150 million.

Disney collects 50% of box office receipts, at best. Worse for international.

How much box office do you need to cover $400 million of costs?

$800 million.

The only articles that claim that Disney can break even with a smaller box office are ones that count money Disney will pay to ITSELF to show The Little Mermaid on Disney+, which is, of course, nonsense.

WorldExplorer

At first I thought you were over-exaggerating, but then I checked:

View attachment 723529

Those aren't even the ugliest ones.
1686704012181.png

1686711177203.png

DKampy

Well the math works out either way. We know the budget was about $250mil. The marketing side is more grey but like cap said, it's being reported at $150mil from deadline. Even on the conservative side, you're at $750mil for break eve
Deadline Magazine, one of the leading trade publications for Hollywood, reports that The Little Mermaid had a production budget of $250 million and a marketing budget of $150 million.

Disney collects 50% of box office receipts, at best. Worse for international.

How much box office do you need to cover $400 million of costs?

$800 million

The only articles that claim that Disney can break even with a smaller box office are ones that count money Disney will pay to ITSELF to show The Little Mermaid on Disney+, which is, of course, nonsense.
Well from what I hear the studio gets 60% of the profits the 1st week, 55% the 2nd week and then 50% for all weeks after the third week…most movies make most of their money in the first 2 weeks…which is why they say 2.5 times the films costs roughly

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know really what you mean— it feels like I've seen a good amount of marketing for it personally, at least compared to other recent Pixar films. Outside Lightyear maybe...but we know how that went

What marketing?

Like I said above. Elemental is in the Disney killing fields. Were is the marketing for this? One billboard near Disneyland that had Strange World on it won't cut it.

Where is all this media marketing for Elemental? It's all hands on deck for TLM while over at Pixar marketing went on vacation.

Elemental (6/16, which has had virtually no advertising yet and probably has terrible awareness), then ramp up for Indy 5 (6/30, and has already had a ton more marketing as compared to Elemental.

I've seen more for Wish than Elemental and it's five months later.

So the biggest media company in the world can't hire marketing people because of budget cuts? Disney is so doomed for a corporate takeover.

Yet no significant marketing still for Elemental.

I had high hopes that it could be fun after I heard it was Catherine O'Hara voicing the mom in a Pixar version of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?. Prior to learning that I didn't really care, and I still haven't seen any advertising for it.

BlakeW39

What marketing?

are you done?

a simple "you're wrong" would suffice, seeing as I'm a complete layman who doesn't keep up with the actual marketing specifics of films like this. I'm not seeing any of them, so why bother.?

personally it feels like I've seen a good deal of marketing for the film. anecdotally, I have seen multiple trailers and advertisements, on this website as well I believe. That isn't necessarily reflective of broader marketing strategies/investment though so I might just be unusual in that respect, or I might just be mistaken altogether.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Well from what I hear the studio gets 60% of the profits the 1st week, 55% the 2nd week and then 50% for all weeks after the third week…most movies make most of their money in the first 2 weeks…
That is DOMESTIC only. Internationally, it's closer to 40% and China even less. The global average is close to 50%.

which is why they say 2.5 times the films costs roughly
No, that has nothing to do with why they say 2.5 times. They say 2.5 times the production budget because we usually don't know the marketing budget. In this case, we DO know the marketing budget.

2 * (Production + Marketing) or;
2.5 * (Production only) when Marketing is unknown

doctornick

There are people who want Disney to go back to what it was doing before and believe that rooting for it to fail will make that happen. They are fans of Disney the way it used to be - but not the way it is now.

But isn't Elemental characteristic of the "what it was doing before" that we want Disney to aspire for?

Ghost93

I wouldn't call myself a fan of modern Disney or Classic Disney. I'm a fan of good movies, and I think throughout the Disney company's 100-year history they've made several classics and several unwatchable pieces of garbage. I think people tend to only remember old Disney as producing classics because the bad movies tend to be swept under the rug and fade from memory.

In the past five years, I've enjoyed Encanto, Raya, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, Jungle Cruise and about half of the Marvel movies. Despite missing the entire point of the character, Cruella was also rather fun due to Emma Thompson and Emma Stone's acting.

But in the past five years, I've also disliked Rise of Skywalker (the worst Star Wars film of all time), about half of the Marvel movies/shows, most of the live-action remakes, Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted and Strange World. I have mixed feelings on Lightyear as I don't think it's a bad film from an artistic perspective, but I also think it totally misses the appeal of the original character and was a misfire in terms of giving fans what they want.

I'm rooting for Elemental because I feel Pixar's original movies are one of the areas I feel "modern Disney" has mostly succeeded. I understand others may feel differently.

spacemt354

Chili's
are you done?

a simple "you're wrong" would suffice, seeing as I'm a complete layman who doesn't keep up with the actual marketing specifics of films like this. I'm not seeing any of them, so why bother.?

personally it feels like I've seen a good deal of marketing for the film. anecdotally, I have seen multiple trailers and advertisements, on this website as well I believe. That isn't necessarily reflective of broader marketing strategies/investment though so I might just be unusual in that respect, or I might just be mistaken altogether.
I saw plenty of Elemental marketing during the NBA finals. And even a few interstate billboards. This is a film I hope does well to bring life back to Pixar.

BlakeW39

I saw plenty of Elemental marketing during the NBA finals. And even a few interstate billboards. This is a film I hope does well to bring life back to Pixar.

I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts that any one movie can bring life back to the studio. Soul was good (so was Luca, apparently, although I haven't seen it) but it was directlly succeeded by films like Turning Red and Lightyear.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
This will be an interesting one to follow. The movie is getting a massive marketing blitz. The movie itself, I suspect is fairly conservative, not in a political sense just a simpler premise. It's reminiscent to Blue Sky Studios. Easy concept, likable characters.

Maybe that's the goal!? Keep it light with broad appeal. That is the newer mandate, right? One could read into the whole "get woke, go broke" politics with this being Disney's attempt at a "playing it safe" response. Ridiculous I guess... but this doesn't appear to have the same "edge" as other Pixar properties. And that's OK.

Is the blending of the studios nearing completion?

Look, I'll be watching it. It looks fun enough. Just make it a good popcorn flick. I think Disney has faith in it. It's not meant to be some cerebral experience. it's meant to entertain families and as a bonus push merch. Disney's due a win. This looks good enough to satisfy the masses.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts that any one movie can bring life back to the studio. Soul was good (so was Luca, apparently, although I haven't seen it) but it was directlly succeeded by films like Turning Red and Lightyear.
Are you implying that Turning Red didn't get reviews as good as Luca and Soul?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
yep. general audiences did not like the film as much as they did Luca or Soul.
Are you aware that "not as much" does not equal "not as good"?

Within 'good' there is a range: Very good, good, fairly good.

Being five points lower in audience rating does not bump one out of the 'good' category even if it's 'not as good.'

Consider this:

Wall*E was good but it was directly succeeded by a film like Up.

Wall*E audience score was 5 points above Up... so... Up wasn't good?

BlakeW39

Are you aware that "not as much" does not equal "not as good"?

Within 'good' there is a range: Very good, good, fairly good.

Being five points lower in audience rating does not bump one out of the 'good' category even if it's 'not as good.'

Consider this:

Wall*E was good but it was directly succeeded by a film like Up.

Wall*E audience score was 5 points above Up... so... Up wasn't good?

I'm aware, lol. Soul was better recieved than Luca, and Luca was better recieved than Turning Red. I never saw Turning Red, nor did I see Luca or Lightyear, so I'm not giving my opinions on those films. Just documenting the reality of the situation. Elemental getting good critical reviews won't significantly change Pixar's predicament. It didn't for Soul and it probably won't do it here either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom