EE Update Feature

EpcotServo

Just got back from DAK CM previews tonight. TONS of crowds! It had about a 35 minute line towards the end there. I was able to get on 4 times (hoped for more, but just too many people.) And I must say, Everest is awesome at night! (if you ever get the chance to ride it at night, by all means, do so.):D

Connor002

EpcotServo said:
And I must say, Everest is awesome at night! (if you ever get the chance to ride it at night, by all means, do so.):D

Ah, that's what I meant to ask someone.
Night rides!

What was it like?
What type of lighting do they use?
How does it differ from riding during the day?

Jose Eber

Original Poster
(SPOILERS) (Ride Review).

Well, just came home from riding Everest half a dozen times. Don't be hatin!

First off: night rides: verrrry recomended. Some people were beeyotching about how you can't see the yeti (on that rogue video) -- trust me, even in the day you have sooo much more time than that video gives you, and at night, with your eyes adjusted to the tunnel, you really can focus on the guy (gal?).

So, can we put aside all these concerns over the video -- its crap, leave it be, it doesn't do the ride justice, it doesn't give you the crazy G forces (different in different parts of the train mind you) that you experience on the ride.

Lets see. After my first ride, my initial reaction was 'perfect'.

Its literally the perfect ride, in that every detail is taken care of. The gap between walkway and train -- none -- seamless access.

The transition between village to trainstation, seamless.

The path around the village to the ride, perfect.

The 'Yet-Tea' tea, the little toy abominable snowman with mickey mouse ears, the Nepalese pseudo , the scat collection and the architecture of the que right before you get on the ride (totally feels like you are in a train station). All these details are accounted for.

The masks, the bells, the lights (and yes, the animal smells) all add up to a pretty detailed attraction.

The actual ride:

The trains themselves have little bags/nets to put your crap in. I took no video because I was told not to on the ride (queue area not off limits btw, look for that video soon). The seats are nice, not too snug and the lap bars are great and work even for the large and youngins (and have a nice little plastic attachment that's readily accessible for cast members to pull up on).

There are no LIM, LSM on the ride, its all wheel based and you coast out of the station very nicely and take a quick right up the first (minor) lift hill. NOTE: there is foliage EVERYWHERE. You are surrounded by bamboo and it is very lush. The first lift hill is very quick, and soon you are over the hill and very quickly round your way up to the main lift.

Now, for the most part the lift was smooth and it didn't catch very violently at all (a little rougher than the first). They are also relatively quiet on the ratches (granted you are outdoors, not like BTMR).

You zoom up to the top and well...you've seen the video.

There is one thing that's a bit odd up top track wise, I'll have to model it out or something, its very odd, and rough if you are in the wrong car (but considering how its lining up with the rotating segment, I understand the necessity).

Rolling back is a lot smoother (you head straight back, then into the double enclosed helix) and the helix is insane, and more insane depending on which car you are in (back car is crazy).

You actually can see stuff, mostly construction stuff when you look around...so you get some bearing that way.

Popping out into the large cavern area you have the movie which is great, and looks a lot better in person (remember there might be issues with the scan rate of the camcorder vs. the display rate of the projector). So the projection looks fine...and most people don't see the ape swing out btw.

The drop is great and again, if you are in the back is awesome, front its a bit different, middle its more tame if I remember correctly.

Coming through the mountain you dive into the double helix outside which is soooo cool at night and great during the day.

After the double outdoor helix (a blur) you run over a break run and you head into the lair of the yeti.

Now, the video does not do it justice. You see the yeti coming for a long time (its a straightaway there after a nice corner which is after the break run). The straightaway allows you to see the yet from far away and you zoom right up to him and the track (this I hated, in a good way) lifts you up closer to him than bang you avoid him heading back down over a final break run which actually slows you down.

At night this segment is amazing because your eyes are adjusted to the darkness and you really can see the Yeti for a looong time (and see a safety cable there holding him up!?)

Anywho, you slow down nicely after you see the Yeti and turn a corner into a final break run and take a quick right turn (quite the G forces!) into the unload area (man, THAT stop can hurt though! lol).

Over all, like I've said, its a technically perfect ride and it begs to be ridden over and over (the first ride seems too short, but the more you ride, the longer it seems and satisfies).

I guess the compliment can be seen as a criticism as well -- there is little heart in the ride as its simply a (cold) coaster encounter with an angry heartless (don't tear up our track!) beast.

So in that sense, its an empty thrill with not a story, but an argument: man vs. beast, religion vs. technology and tradition vs. contemporary realities.

But who cares -- its just a thrill ride, and an EXPENSIVE one at that.

Its going to be a must see. Its got me into a park that I'd normally never visit.

J.

(how do I post this in the ride review section?)

TECH addendum:

The bonus of sitting up front is you get to see the track spin -- which is fun...but to me the cool part is the mechanics of the banked holding areas before/after the rotating track. These wheels are powered in that they break and accelerate and numerous. The entire track is lines with tonnes of wheels.

The load/unload is great in that the cars come to a complete stop in one smooth swoop.

The chain lifts are speedy and fairly smooth.

I will say though that after riding the last car, it does smack of Vekoma tech. Very rough back there.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Image-CAFEDEC0889311DA.jpg

Image-CAFF06B4889311DA.jpg

Image-CAFF19DA889311DA.jpg

Video Screen grabs and video coming later.

Connor002

Jose, what type of lighting do they use in the actually mountain?
I'd imagine it would be dim, but it seems they would still want to highlight the rock-work and broken track.

Slacking

I didn't think it was very rough in the back.

The general public will love this ride. Many coaster enthusiastics will be a bit more underwhelmed.

I was underwhelmed. The ride never truly picked up for me (best part was the final coaster section before seeing the Yeti) especially the section after the main lift hill, more should have been done with that part.

The_CEO

What most people are forgetting is that the coaster wasn't really desiged as much for thrill as it was to tell a story while adding SOME thrill. The coaster is just WDI's choice for a ride vehicle.

dxwwf3

Jose Eber said:
I guess the compliment can be seen as a criticism as well -- there is little heart in the ride as its simply a (cold) coaster encounter with an angry heartless (don't tear up our track!) beast.

Sounds like it's right up my alley :sohappy:

EpcotServo

Jose Eber said:
(SPOILERS) (Ride Review).

Well, just came home from riding Everest half a dozen times. Don't be hatin!
Glad ya enjoyed the ride! (Sorry for the crowds though. Who knew?) I only got on a few times and had to leave a little early. (Still got to ride at night though, and your right. You can see the yeti alot better at night!) As for the "Yeti cable" That's not to support him. That's there to support him if everything goes wrong:lol: ! As for what's diffrent at night, It's just like riding BTMR at night. It feels alot faster and you can see things inside better. Oh, and the fact that you can see inside the mountain during the backwards part, that is being fixed this week by WDI. (So it'll be gone in a few days, leaving the train in darkness.)This ride is so great. I can't get enough of it!:D

orlandorealtor

EpcotServo said:
Glad ya enjoyed the ride! (Sorry for the crowds though. Who knew?) I only got on a few times and had to leave a little early. (Still got to ride at night though, and your right. You can see the yeti alot better at night!) As for the "Yeti cable" That's not to support him. That's there to support him if everything goes wrong:lol: ! As for what's diffrent at night, It's just like riding BTMR at night. It feels alot faster and you can see things inside better. Oh, and the fact that you can see inside the mountain during the backwards part, that is being fixed this week by WDI. (So it'll be gone in a few days, leaving the train in darkness.)This ride is so great. I can't get enough of it!:D

How are they going to fix it? Is it a matter or light leaking in?

Connor002

EpcotServo said:
Oh, and the fact that you can see inside the mountain during the backwards part, that is being fixed this week by WDI. (So it'll be gone in a few days, leaving the train in darkness.)This

So, do you mean that the walls of the "cave" are not yet up, exposing the inner workings?

I must say this baffles me...

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Well, do you all know how they said the coaster, the yeti and the mountain shell are not actually connected, how there's give and a space?

Well, when you are the tunnel, and look (for me to the left) going backwards, you can actually see the trusswork and steel etc...its like there is a little gap or something.

Slacking: what other cars did you ride? When I mean rough, I mean vekoma side to side rough.

Connor: lighting on the inside -- the double helix inside believe it or not is not lit. You do, like mentioned above still see though steel and cross sections and the like.

When you hit the interior of the mountain for the last time, during the day the daylight travels with you well into the mountain then you immediately see the yeti (very little total darkness). At night you have to go around the bend.

In the section after the projection effect, even at night the tunnel is highlighted on the edges by lighting from outside.

Its a very dark coaster inside the tunnel. If they did light it, wonder what it would be like.

BTW still, lots of fire alarm signs and red boxes visible.

yensidtlaw1969

I think it means they want the encounter with theInfamous yeti to be the epitome of the attraction, not the infamous ladder . . . :D .

Yensid :eek:ne-day-there-WILL-be-a-ladder-attraction-.-.-." tlaw1969

Jose Eber

Original Poster
The_CEO said:
What most people are forgetting is that the coaster wasn't really desiged as much for thrill as it was to tell a story while adding SOME thrill. The coaster is just WDI's choice for a ride vehicle.

Its still pretty intense though. I mean, I'm no coaster junkie, but that interior helix (back seat) is pretty crazy.

For the ACE'r, yah I'm sure its not good enough, not like any coaster is.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
yensidtlaw1969 said:
I think it means they want the encounter with theInfamous yeti to be the epitome of the attraction, not the infamous ladder . . . :D .

Yensid :eek:ne-day-there-WILL-be-a-ladder-attraction-.-.-." tlaw1969

Someone who I was riding with (who knew nothing about the ride) thought of an interesting way to change the ride....that perhaps after your encounter with the yeti you'd come to a full stop, but then, your car would start to back up (the yeti being invisible/dark at this point) making it seem like he'd grabbed hold of your car and was pulling you back. And then the train would fight it off and you'd burst out of the cave or something.

Crazy! I thought it was a good idea though.

retroeric

Thanks for the in depth review! I can't wait to get the chance to ride this (in the next couple weeks).

Just out of curiousity, are you retired? What do you do for work? Seems you've been spending practically every day the last month in AK. :-D

yensidtlaw1969

Jose Eber said:
Someone who I was riding with (who knew nothing about the ride) thought of an interesting way to change the ride....that perhaps after your encounter with the yeti you'd come to a full stop, but then, your car would start to back up (the yeti being invisible/dark at this point) making it seem like he'd grabbed hold of your car and was pulling you back. And then the train would fight it off and you'd burst out of the cave or something.

Crazy! I thought it was a good idea though.
How old was this person, might I ask? If they are a child/teenager, then I say *COUGH* future Imagineer *COUGH*. They'd probably have to habe a giant arm come into the cave and atleast look like it grabbed the train, because you know EVERYONE would be turning around at that point. They'd probably also have to move the cave foreward as opposed to the train going back, A la Indiana Jones, because trains going backward in that manner is just unsafe.

Yensid "I-just-ate-a-piece-of-popcorn-that-looked-like-the-yeti" tlaw1969

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Ooh, I never even thought of Indiana Jones type cave. BTW the train in the back pretty much blocks all views and you really can't turn around too much and see back there.

The gentleman was in his mid 30's -- but I thought it was a totally great way to plus the attraction (already they have a break there -- it would have to be a hard break then slow jerking backwards motion).

Since there is a break zone just before the yeti, it might not be too risky having the train go backwards, but who knows, I'm not an imagineer.

RetroEric: good question...disney has me on a watch list apparently -- according to them I could be some sort of terrorist getting all this information to plan an attack on EE :hammer: (and I thought I didn't have a life :rolleyes: )

I'm mostly retired in that I don't have to put in a lot of time to get the income I need -- but that could change.

We'll see -- its getting old (I'm young). And there are (gasp) better ways to spend time aside from documenting an attraction. But for now, I've got a few more things up my sleeve regarding WDW and EE in particular then off to more serious things?

We'll see, one day at a time,

J.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom