EE Update Feature

Madison

The track rotates axially (in the direction of travel, roughly) to switch direction. It's been done on other roller coasters in the past, though rarely at any place other than leading into or out of maintenance and storage spurs. You will see it used periodically as a switch leading into a dual track station.

The Big Bad Wolf immediately springs to mind as another coaster that has a rotating switch. You'll find them just before and after the station, leading to the train barn located below and to the south of the passenger station. I didn't immediately find any photos online, but there are bound to be some, somewhere.

Edit: It's not very clear that this is the same, but here's a photo of Big Bad Wolf's switch: http://davebaldauf.com/images/2001/BuschGardens_7_01/Resized/Wolf2.jpg

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Vekoma does all sorts of things -- just am more familiar with their weirder stuff I guess:

3d_side_b.gif

Vekoma-Tilt.jpg

Madison

The design show in the computer renderings has never been built. To date, the only Vekoma-designed 'tilt coaster' built is Gravity Max, shown the second photo. It operates a bit differently than the computer rendered drawings.

Gravity Max has a traditional lift that ends in a horizontal stub of track with brakes on it to stop and hold the train in place. That horizontal piece of track pivots at the far end with respect to the lift, aligning it with the vertical drop track. The brakes release and the train descends. It's a gimmick that offers few advantages over traditional lift systems. The rendered design, at least, offers some advantage in that it requires a much smaller footprint to lift the train to a comparably larger height -- not unlike the elevators Mack uses on some its Wild Mouse coasters.

RSoxNo1

The Tilt Coaster can be found in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. It's a fun one to use, but I would imagine the novelty of the unique lift hill would not outway the cost of creating it.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Trip Report

I went today and got a bit of information.

Before I start MKT you have some explaining to do: Rosalin says you told her you already rode it! Where's the trip report!!?

In regards to the 'spinning track' 'discovery' on the last page -- not so special apparently even on WDW property, RNR has the same mechanism in use by the car bay. So was this discussed too on the other thread? Prob.

Same manufacturer anyway.

ANYWHO!

Brake zones: There are 7. One before unload, one before that break zone also, which is sort of a 'special' brake zone in that its ultra gentle in its slowing ability. One after the helix (which I actually saw them do an e-stop on the other day).

And then there are the two in the top of the mountain, above each other, where the train goes up and the track switches from behind/infront.

7 if you include the load/unload areas I guess.

The waterfall behind the mountain (from guest perspective right now) was on today, the one in front is on/off intermittently. Sometimes they have the mountaintop snow effect and fog effect working.

The steam effect on the trains is a pain, they've got it off right now.

What else. Garbage cans have been repainted, groan how dorky is that, I'm writing about garbage cans in the area.

The Tea place is cool, so is the DVC area. Fun.

One thing to notice is that the picture of the king and queen is actually important. The size of it determines the success of the business the picture is in.

What else. The coloring on the buildings. The oxblood signifies a desire to protect the buildings from spirits etc. That's why the temple is all red. Same thing with the ox horns etc.

Apparently for heat over there they use yak crap and not the wood you see up top.

There's a cool thing with a palm tree Disney Horticulture did with the palm and a tree.

And the barber shop is all authentic.

The 72 hour testing begins Monday. And they are looking to have cast previews around January 10.

Pics later.

peter11435

Jose Eber said:
Apparently for heat over there they use yak crap and not the wood you see up top.

I heard since wood is rare in the mountains the wood on the rood is used as a status symbol. The more wood you have stacked up the wealthier you are.

Jose Eber said:
There's a cool thing with a palm tree Disney Horticulture did with the palm and a tree.

Any pics of this.

Jose Eber said:
And the barber shop is all authentic.

What barber shop.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
hold on! working on the pics...

Yah, per the wood stacked on the roof it is a status symbol (see first post on this thread). We've come full circle. Its also used to cremate your elders I heard today. Hooray!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Jose Eber said:
Its also used to cremate your elders I heard today. Hooray!

You young whipper-snappers these days! :fork: You're supposed to respect your elders, not cremate them :fork:

[sorry, couldn't resist :lol:]

Jose Eber

Original Poster
PICS From DEC 23

Only Five Minutes! I'm there.

Image-F71EDEDA740D11DA.jpg

The ladder...
Image-F71F0BBC740D11DA.jpg

Its bloody good!
Image-F71F304B740D11DA.jpg

Anything look odd here?
Image-F71F9FA0740D11DA.jpg

The Palm has grown through the other tree!
Image-F71F507C740D11DA.jpg

Wax on the rocks:
Image-F71F7A3D740D11DA.jpg

You can hardly make out the train (need a better camera!)
Image-F71FBF50740D11DA.jpg

Real barber chair from India -- the adjustable back thing there is for the neck to rest on (shave).
Image-F726CF3E740D11DA.jpg

Obligatory broad mountain shot:
Image-F72A6568740D11DA.jpg

Garbage cans in Asia painted a different color last night.
Image-F72A9D24740D11DA.jpg

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Part 2

The New DVC Area Peter took shots of yesterday:
Image-F72ABCBE740D11DA.jpg

The Tea Cafe
Image-F72ADAAA740D11DA.jpg

Menu
Image-F72AF792740D11DA.jpg

Incidentally, its nice to see them bring in the theme of the Tea Company at Everest into Food and Beverage

Specialty drinks:
Image-F72B1A10740D11DA.jpg

Specialty Teas:
Image-F72B54DA740D11DA.jpg

The official name:
Image-F72B37B6740D11DA.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom