EE Update Feature

darthdarrel

SilentWindODoom said:
And let us not forget that, if Thrawn were around, he would have destroyed Animal King 1990 right away, and he never would have bothered us again.

Not that I'm saying Fantasmic is him with any certainty, but that whole mess would have been avoided.

How long until Thrawn's suspension is over, or is he gone for good?
He is gone for good! THANK GOD!:D

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Lee said:
Just FYI...nothing much doing at EE on 12/10. They were working on the waterfall, though.:cool:
dude... I thought you were gonna gimme a ring

Lee

Adventurer
mkt said:
dude... I thought you were gonna gimme a ring

Called you Friday and left a message.
Brought my other phone to WDW Saturday and didn't have your number in it.

Back in a couple weeks, most likely...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
that's really effing weird... I had no voicemails on that number all weekend

Lee

Adventurer
mkt said:
that's really effing weird... I had no voicemails on that number all weekend

Called about 1:30-ish on Friday...or was it Thursday...whatever day I posted here that I was calling.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Night Work December 13

Well, decided to see if some night shots were available -- but there was very little lighting backside of Everest (how would I get a shot there Hmmm?)

Anywho -- looks like more work is/was being done on top of the mountain off of the first switch/track. Nearly impossible to see with my non-WDWScottieboy quality camera -- but here are some pics:

Nya,
imag0001_561.jpg

and nya,
imag0002_142.jpg

But....What's this?!

Cranes, many trucks and covers oh my!
imag0006_643.jpg

Are they taking back the Yeti for serious rumored repairs?
imag0007_247.jpg

Is it canvas to cover the back of the (hideous to some) mountain?

imag0008_193.jpg

imag0009_952.jpg

No its CIPP -- cast in place piping, part of that 50 million dollar project everyone keeps talking about (but nobody seems to see the signs thereof). The Savanah area is complete, and now they are finishing up the parking lot. This exact procedure was needed for piping under Everest before they got started with the construction. So consider this photopost a 'back to the beginning' style post. These shots are quite rare because you have to be up laaate at night to see this work -- usually they are done with a 300 ft section over night.

imag0012_131.jpg

They have about a year and a half to go, and its been roughly 2 years since they started. YES, 50 Million smackeroos and not Disney's fault. When they outsourced the piping, what they wanted wasn't available. So a contractor opted for a different set of pipes which didn't measure up. Expect these new pipes (essentially blown through with water pressure, then the water is heated, the resin between the layers of fabric cures and voila -- you have a pipe) to last 150 years (but only with a 50 year warranty).

imag0017_131.jpg

Again, this exact procedure was done underneath everest before work got started. Yah, you loose diameter on your pipes but...hey, its cheaper than ripping up the entire park (the rest of the park will be finished over the next year and a half).

imag0020_463.jpg

I know, not a terribly exciting post -- but its a throwback to the early EE construction days -- to before anything really 'visible' could be seen construction wise.

We've come full circle,

Jose

Jose Eber

Original Poster
December 13...lucky Tuesday

Let's see -- what is new:

The warning signs are up (as well as the height requirement badge). The floatation device by the river is down :(

Some scaffolding structure is up by the waterfall area and part of the village has been wrapped (Cristo, were you here!?)

Diego was giving some folks a tour today and he had some cool things to say (Diego is an imagineer).

First off, the lack of a 'clickety clack' up the lift is very deliberate (its not just because its some newfangled technology or the sound is annoying in general). This ride is supposed to be a 'train' -- and how many trains go clickety clack up a mountain he says? That would be 'too coasterish'.

Another 'too coasterish' thing would be the lifthill itself. They wanted to avoid the look of a giant lift hill so they added a temple area/mountain as to visually break up the major lift hill. This make the 'train' look less like a coaster.

On Thursday they will be doing some evac testing -- so that might be fun to check out. I will have to look at my older photos but it looks like they've done a little more themeing of the major stairs visible in front of the mountain.

Today, electricians were testing the fastpass system and fiddling it a bit.

imag0007_156.jpg

The two white squares used to have signs on it. 'Ripped' off.

imag0006_108.jpg

Height requirement badge and sign up.

imag0009_168.jpg

Sign (second one not installed, inside stand by line)

imag0010_419.jpg

Cristo wrap of village roof.

imag0021_202.jpg

Scaffolding by waterfall area.

imag0016_357.jpg

Diego giving a tour -- extra warning sign inside doorway. Clocks being re-tooled.

Madison

Jose Eber said:
First off, the lack of a 'clickety clack' up the lift is very deliberate (its not just because its some newfangled technology or the sound is annoying in general). This ride is supposed to be a 'train' -- and how many trains go clickety clack up a mountain he says? That would be 'too coasterish'.

However, the only railroads with sections of track approaching a similar grade are cog and funicular railways. A funicular railroad is lifted up a steep hillside by a cable but can not travel around curves, for the most part. A cog railway has a driven pinion built into the locomotive that engages a rack built between the rails. While not a ratchet as in a typical roller coaster's antirollback mechanism, a cog railway might warrant some sort of sound.

It's not as if any potential enjoyment I may get from this attraction is forever tainted, but it'd have been neat to see them implement something akin to a cog locomotive as the steam donkey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom