EE Update Feature

animal_king1990

mousermerf said:
About the "I can see it from parking..." argument...

You can see the backside of Energy and Seas from Epcot's parking lot. You can see the rear of Mainstreet USA's Emporium area from the monorail station. You can see the rear of the Indy show from MGM's lot.

It's a non-issue really.

Someone here once showed a picture of the show building for Splash Mountain. Turns out most of the ride is in the building and there really isn't a "mountain", it's just a cover.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
To me its only an issue if I'm at Blizzard Beach on the mountain there.

Its really, how you can I say this, LESS than perfect from that vantage point.

Now if they painted that 8 story wall white -- different story. Its just brown right now.

The big dreamer in me thinks it would be cool to somehow link those parks (AK/BB) between snow caps thematically with a transportation solution -- but that's probably a bad idea. I mean, people could use BB to extend their day at AK, but then you are wet -- only useful during the summer/peak season

:rolleyes:

Jose "I think its an eyesore the way it is right now from the BB mountain" Eber

animal_king1990

Jose Eber said:
To me its only an issue if I'm at Blizzard Beach on the mountain there.

Its really, how you can I say this, LESS than perfect from that vantage point.

Now if they painted that 8 story wall white -- different story. Its just brown right now.

The big dreamer in me thinks it would be cool to somehow link those parks (AK/BB) between snow caps thematically with a transportation solution -- but that's probably a bad idea. I mean, people could use BB to extend their day at AK, but then you are wet -- only useful during the summer/peak season

:rolleyes:

Jose "I think its an eyesore the way it is right now from the BB mountain" Eber

That would be cool.

SilentWindODoom

I'm not complaining about if, or anything. I just want to see what everyone's making such a big deal about. It may not be too bad, but I'm just curious, and wanted to see a picture for myself. There was just a red frame when we visited.

animal_king1990

SilentWindODoom said:
I'm not complaining about if, or anything. I just want to see what everyone's making such a big deal about. It may not be too bad, but I'm just curious, and wanted to see a picture for myself. There was just a red frame when we visited.

Here's a picture.

speck76

animal_king1990 said:

Here's a picture.

well....first off....by the look of the size of the show building, it is too large to properly theme and keep the scale of the front of the mountain consistant with the cosmetic overlay

second off......what a waste of money it would be

Skylor

speck76 said:
well....first off....by the look of the size of the show building, it is too large to properly theme and keep the scale of the front of the mountain consistant with the cosmetic overlay

give it a month and there will be trees

SilentWindODoom

Holy crap! That actually is pretty bad looking, but at least it's backstage. The only problem is, is it really as noticable from the parking lot as people say? I notice the scaffolding is still there in that picture. Is the show building still exactly like that?

Now I'm sad that I'm not a premium member.

The_CEO

Let it be known while in the park and riding EE, NONE of this will be visible... Therefore not taking away from the experience.. Look at it this way, it's like spending a ton of money on a room or place nobody will ever see in your home, like a crawlspace.. Disney is just saving themselves money and investing it where it counts. Just like someone would on their own home. ;)

Jose Eber

Original Poster
The reality is, there are some attractions on Disney property which have theme-ing even though there is little view of it (and costs a lot of extra cash). Since when was Disney ever focused on being only practical?

Space mountain for one comes to mind: All of it is designed, not the half or 1/4 most of us don't see.

Big Thunder Mountain is nearly completely theme'd even making the track go over the large rails to the storage shed for the trains backstage.

Tower of Terror is for the most part is built out and painted (there is a minor segment which is more sparsely designed).

The back end of Everest is obvious to everyone who visits Blizzard Beach and uses the slides up top (i.e. family raft, plus two speed slides). Don't forget the new highway that's going in - - that street caresses the back end of AK (pardon my language, its late, I'm on cold meds) that might be an issue as well, I'm not sure.

I think something will be done, in fact someone on the boards already mentioned that Disney replied to them saying they are working on it because it was a concern to them.

Time will tell, it is a problem though imho and I'm sure WDI is more than aware of it. No one wants a nasty a$$ -- on themselves or on an attraction they design.

Sorry, no update today, still sick, getting better though.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
^Thanks for caring, -- I think the cold is finishing itself off. Thank goodness for Theraflu.

One more example: Epcot: Future World: World of Motion - the entire attraction is sheathed, when we only see a bit of it.

One example in Epcot is hardly enough, but, it goes to show you that even in post Walt/Roy days, they went beyond practical.

LSUxStitch

ToT theming backstage looks exactly like a plain building. The only reason the theming was even brought around so much is due to the fact there is a main road running behind it and it is noticeable. I have a picture of it backstage, but do not want to get in trouble for posting it. Just take my word for it when I say, it's nothing special.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
^I think you can post it -- when they have ESPN weekends, there is stuff back there (backstage) and you can see all of that stuff (and the side of RNR). We'll call it a 'ESPN weekend pic'. ;)

It is kinda plain over there -- but they still painted the stucco a matching color, they just left out painted detail.

Heck, some cheap broad stretches of canvas would do wonders for that half of the mountain at EE.

J.

Lee

Adventurer
First of all, I see no reason to "theme" the backside of the mountain. It would be a huge waste of resources, with no practical value. Kind of like the old saying that says "You paint what they can see."

Second, I have heard from someone involved that there was at one point some talk of painting the building more of a whitish color to blend in better at a distance. However, I don't know if that went forward or not.

It has never really been Disney's policy to theme any building beyond what is necessary. Test Track is not an exception. You can see the whole building from the ride. Space Mountain is totally visible from the Monorail and the Trains.

Splash (http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=17374&size=big) is a better example. The themeing barely turns the corner out of sight.

Shaman

speck76 said:

I agree. We all know it's not a real mountain, and we only want to believe (maybe not even then...for some) it is when we're standing right in front of it.

I would be more worried about The Swan and Dolphin being visible from inside Epcot.

:D

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Lee said:
Test Track is not an exception. You can see the whole building from the ride. Space Mountain is totally visible from the Monorail and the Trains.

You have to remember though -- it wasn't built like that originally. Initially, the attraction was contained within the circumference of the show building and only cast members saw the backside of the attraction.

Lee

Adventurer
Jose Eber said:
You have to remember though -- it wasn't built like that originally. Initially, the attraction was contained within the circumference of the show building and only cast members saw the backside of the attraction.

True. However, most of the building is visible from either parts of World Showcase or the Monorail.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Trees in Future World used to be smaller.

From Energy you could see 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock, from World Showcase you can see 1 o'clock to 6 o'clock. That means 1/6th of the building wasn't visible. It's a cylinder - they jsut finished it off.

Energy and Seas are both ugly ugly ugly from backstage. Energy is a giant blue wall series akin to Everest's, and Seas is beige. Horizons was just like them, and now M:S is a big black box. Wonders is actually two big beige buildings attached to the decorative dome.

Heck, people complain about seeing the Soarin' building, but the backside of the actual Land pavilion is massive and ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom