Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

janoimagine

I have thought a lot about the transportation issue and have come to the conclusion a resort wide solution is not practical. I think various technologies would be the best solution. For instance they could use a TTA type system (loop) between the Epcot resorts the main gate at DHS and the International Gateway and probably have it be cost efficient. Running a people mover to FW or DTD however would not be. I think ES's comment about watercraft is in the context of better efficiency. For instance, connecting the new Four Seasons with the MK might best be accomplished with boats rather than busses.

By the way, I thought the busses had been automated. Has that system been scrapped? :veryconfu

Ahh ... I understand regarding the watercraft thing. :) What I was thinking by automated busses was driverless.

MiklCraw4d

Also, I think both monorails and peoplemovers should be looked at, economically, in the long-term view rather than in the quarterly-report philosophy. While the initial outlay is far more for monorails or WEDway than for buses, how much do you save over the long term in fuel, repairs, vehicle replacement, and staffing? A single monorail has the same staffing requirement as a bus, but with a much greater capacity. Peoplemovers require no pilots at all. The current monorails have been in operation at WDW for around 20 years. How many buses have they gone through in that time?

One more thing, perhaps unmeasurable, is how much mindshare in the public imagination is gained by having things like monorails in operation? The monorail passing through the Contemporary has been an iconic WDW image since 1971; I doubt we could say the same for a diesel bus rolling up at Pop Century. The monorails are an attraction in and of themselves, and one of the intangible things that set WDW apart and make an impression on first-time guests.

jt04

Ahh ... I understand regarding the watercraft thing. :) What I was thinking by automated busses was driverless.

Eisner talked about driverless vehicles at one point. I think he meant smaller vehicles in the manner of the new installation at Heathrow. Using the existing monorail beams (as ES suggested) is a really interesting idea for such a system. These type vehicles can climb and descend grades so it would be possible to have the system use the beams, as well as ground level or even below ground for specific configurations such as going under an existing road. I think this makes sense in a configuration that joined DHS, Epcot and the TTA along a spine that roughly follows World Drive. It wouldn't be cheap however. But it would be efficient and green.

This is not really possible. The geology of Florida is not even remotely suitable for tunneling. While the utilidoors are under MK they are not technically underground. They were built on grade and then buried.

Thats why I was refering to having to start over from scratch. I know they arnt technicaly tunnels but you would basically be able to change and interchange technology in the Utilidors and still have "aboveground available".

You could have a vast highway of Wedways running on the "1st Floor" ultidors and when tech changed you still have above ground to be able to handle the traffic in down times.

You could enclose the Wedways and you wouldnt even need to light it because its all automated. The Wedways are but not the outside. Like a vast Disney Subway system but not truelly Sub...

What if you made lots of Peoplemover vehicles that used the monorail beamways (no monorails during peak seasons) so there was a near endless capacity and they rode atop the rails, likely enclosed. They would look pretty awesome up there. These little glowing strands spacing themselves out and then coming together.

WHy not use that on the Resort line of the monorail system now..

You would only be servicing the same areas as the monorails do now.

With a little engineering you could do it down the middle of the main highway coming in to MK and then branch it out from there. You would be taking lanes away but you could "BRIDGE" it over intersections and no need to stop at lights. With busses gone or serverely reduced traffic would not be that bad anyways. You could make ONE big parking lot for all the parks and the only way in to the parks would be the Wedways unless going to resorts. This would free up all but one lane inside the disney area. Alot of times it would mean just eliminating a lane and the medians.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
WHy not use that on the Resort line of the monorail system now..

You would only be servicing the same areas as the monorails do now.

True, but with more the capacity. Right now the monorails at peak are a bottleneck. Then you can add spurs to new areas from that core. I was just trying to think in a way that would make the cost of the infrastructure go away and make having a PM less prohibitive. In the end, my suggestion may be impractical as well.

MiklCraw4d

Monorail & WEDway at LBV Village

For those who were curious, if you scroll down in this article there's an image I made of where the monorail and peoplemover tracks were to be added at the Village.

jt04

True, but with more the capacity. Right now the monorails at peak are a bottleneck. Then you can add spurs to new areas from that core. I was just trying to think in a way that would make the cost of the infrastructure go away and make having a PM less prohibitive. In the end, my suggestion may be impractical as well.

Here is the system at Heathrow...

http://www.atsltd.co.uk/

What is especially nice is it can be added on to over time. It is easily configurable to add new lines/spurs etc. It can even run at grade which would make it much cheaper than other options in the long run.

Here is the system at Heathrow...

http://www.atsltd.co.uk/

What is especially nice is it can be added on to over time. It is easily configurable to add new lines/spurs etc. It can even run at grade which would make it much cheaper than other options in the long run.

It looks like its running on the road to start with. That could be a great solution but initial cost would be enormous...

jt04

It looks like its running on the road to start with. That could be a great solution but initial cost would be enormous...

I don't think so. Initially it could use the existing elevated track between Epcot and TTA with a mostly "at grade" spur going to DHS. As the technology matured another spur could be added, mostly at grade, to connect to Coronado Springs, BB and AK/AKL. At that point you have connected well over half the resorts to all of the major parks with modern and all electric systems. The savings on labor and fossil fuels would be substantial to say the least.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I don't think so. Initially it could use the existing elevated track between Epcot and TTA with a mostly "at grade" spur going to DHS. As the technology matured another spur could be added, mostly at grade, to connect to Coronado Springs, BB and AK/AKL. At that point you have connected well over half the resorts to all of the major parks with modern and all electric systems. The savings on labor and fossil fuels would be substantial to say the least.

very interesting....:)

MiklCraw4d

It's not only all been said before, but again before that and with pictures! Nice work.:)

Thanks guys - I guess I'm a bit of a transpo nerd, and it shows.

I really love that Heathrow system - I had no idea! See, that's the stuff that we should be seeing *first* at WDW! The Heathrow system is PURE Progress City; it's straight out of a Ward Kimball futurist animation. The point about it being able to operate at grade is a good one; anything to bring costs down but still provide efficient and fun mass transit...

Vernonpush

I really love that Heathrow system - I had no idea! See, that's the stuff that we should be seeing *first* at WDW! The Heathrow system is PURE Progress City; it's straight out of a Ward Kimball futurist animation. The point about it being able to operate at grade is a good one; anything to bring costs down but still provide efficient and fun mass transit...

I'm sure that if anyone was at WDW who had Walt's "vision of the future" (and his E.P.C.O.T. dream) and had any clout, then the Heathrow System would have been installed at WDW long ago. That takes even Walt's "WEDway at E.P.C.O.T 'City' " to a "futuristic" level.

(Did I use too many " 's? :lol: )

As of the Parks now, They should add a "Monorail East/West" from AK(L)/Studios/ DTD (that the state of Florida may one day tie into). And a "WEDway" from "Epcot Entrance" to Studios (with Epcot resorts stops). That would tie the whole resort together.

jt04

I'm sure that if anyone was at WDW who had Walt's "vision of the future" (and his E.P.C.O.T. dream) and had any clout, then the Heathrow System would have been installed at WDW long ago. That takes even Walt's "WEDway at E.P.C.O.T 'City' " to a "futuristic" level.

(Did I use too many " 's? :lol: )

To be fair, the Heathrow system is really a cutting edge prototype. I am quite certain that people all over the world will be watching how it performs. I very clearly remember Eisner talking about just such a system for WDW so I know it has and probably is still being considered. When you look at it you get the feeling capacity would be an issue, but the more you research it, the more you realize what a great system it is. It has a very high capacity and is incredibly efficient.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Just buy one and tweak the vehicles. Walt did that with Alweg in Germany. He just wanted it.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What I'm liking about this discussion is that you are getting into the kinds of issues, fundamental roadblocks and processes that ideas have to go through to get developed. It's a puzzle for sure, but I'm addicted to this kind of stuff. Once the idea finally becomes possible, then you get to go through the "Finance Dept" to see if they think it's feasible. Ahh, those were the days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom