Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiklCraw4d

Ok. Who misses Smart1, "the astuter computer" from the Sperry Univak show? I used to have a little wind up of him.

I miss that guy. It would be great to have some of that merch.

It's funny you mention it, because just yesterday I was doing some digging and came across an article from 1982/83 about the Smrt family from some midwestern state coming to EPCOT to visit with SMRT-1. They said they had heard about the robot somewhere and had to come see their "cousin." I'll have to find where I put it and scan it in.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I miss that guy. It would be great to have some of that merch.

It's funny you mention it, because just yesterday I was doing some digging and came across an article from 1982/83 about the Smrt family from some midwestern state coming to EPCOT to visit with SMRT-1. They said they had heard about the robot somewhere and had to come see their "cousin." I'll have to find where I put it and scan it in.

You're kidding. "SMRT party of six please, smrt"

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm the only one :lol: nuts enough to do this! (and loving it)

BTW the new Weird Al video on being stuck working the JC is really sad. kinda reminds me of the discussion a while back about realizing you are not gonna be what you imagined then working it out. The only thing about the video is that I would be content working the JC and the repetition he derides is the same as working on Broadway or any other acting job, it actually is tougher to do something no better and no worse every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNo8LvdOwSk

jt04

BTW the new Weird Al video on being stuck working the JC is really sad. kinda reminds me of the discussion a while back about realizing you are not gonna be what you imagined then working it out. The only thing about the video is that I would be content working the JC and the repetition he derides is the same as working on Broadway or any other acting job, it actually is tougher to do something no better and no worse every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNo8LvdOwSk

Yes, I think the Jungle Cruise is just the motif he choose for a commentary on a much larger subject. It's just a great take by him as usual.

And something tells me he may have been inspired by the recent SNL skit too. Fun stuff.

MousDad

Also, if he is so inclined and finds he has the time, I'm sure Steve would welcome him here to interact with the fan base. :)

Hell_freezing_over.jpg

CBOMB

^ I'm just sayin, I think Marty's had his fill of the fans.
And you certainly can't blame him if he does feel that way. Maybe he needs a vacation from Disney now.

I still can't believe he is retireing. It just makes no sense at this time for him to step down when they are kicking off their new fan initatives. That's definetly right up his alley.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
^ I'm just sayin, I think Marty's had his fill of the fans.

He probably has had his fill (as would anyone) of obnoxious fans. But they are rare. But I think he does what he does because he knows the work he is involved in has meaning and made a deep impression, and the fans prove that so I'm sure he love that aspect. He wrote some of the quotes and speeches for Walt! He also wrote Walt's final EPCOT film. (blows me away) Marty Sklar at heart IS a fan. He lights up at lunch when he's telling stories about working with all of the 1Generation Imagineers and sometimes slips a Walt story in there. He loves how he spent his career and has survived many a "storm" to keep WDI intact. The D23 article is amazing and makes me proud to have worked for him.

Here's an interesting article that has Marty telling EPCOT's history and why some other guy didn't think of it.
http://www.mouseplanet.com/8211/Robert_Jaffray_Did_Not_Create_Epcot

MousDad

He probably has had his fill (as would anyone) of obnoxious fans. But they are rare.

You're still saying that after being here a while? Man, you're nice. :lol:

But I think he does what he does because he knows the work he is involved in has meaning and made a deep impression, and the fans prove that so I'm sure he love that aspect. He wrote some of the quotes and speeches for Walt! He also wrote Walt's final EPCOT film. (blows me away) Marty Sklar at heart IS a fan.

I admire him greatly as well. I just think it highly unlikely he'd show up here. But hey, I'd be happy to be wrong.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
You're still saying that after being here a while? Man, you're nice. :lol:

I admire him greatly as well. I just think it highly unlikely he'd show up here. But hey, I'd be happy to be wrong.

You can't quite consider this happy little assemblage a routine sampling of the population, do you?

The main advantage of dealing with concentrations is that it's easier to avoid them...:eek:

....besides...we're not all that bad...:lookaroun

MiklCraw4d

You're kidding. "SMRT party of six please, smrt"

I couldn't believe it hehe - I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Glad to hear it! But I'm sure after all those years in executive meetings and budget discussions Marty could handle little ol' us :)

You can't quite consider this happy little assemblage a routine sampling of the population, do you?

While there's a pretty good sample size, there's a definite selection bias!

Well there was that enigma dude but he got banned. :lookaroun

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom