Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

Eddie, I recently came across the story of how you got a pre-opening look at the Magic Kingdom with Don Edgren and years later gave a speech at his retirement party. Thats pretty cool.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
When designing an attraction, did corporate ever say it needed to be operational for x number of years at x% reliability? Or is there a given number of years most theme park attractions are supposed to last, like a residential roof should last 20-25 years, an industry wide "standard" so to speak? How might one anticipate future problems with operability, reliability, guest satisfaction/safety? Are some things simply unforeseeable?

We did discuss the life expectancy of an attraction, especially when it came to over-engineering it. Imagine the budget when you design something to last forever? So we'd argue for some kind of benchmark life expectancy before a major replacement or rehab. I think 10 yeas was where we landed on some of these projects.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Can you tell us more?

Sure. I was with a friend who was head of development for Touchstone TV. They develop and sell shows to any network (like Felicity). We were having dinner and I asked him what kind of shows do networks look for. He told me that they are sometimes like a hit movie like "Men in Black". So I jokingly responded with a "what if" idea for a show ("Men in Black" meets "Adam 12") and he got serious, like "that IS a hit show idea" serious. I told him he could have a treatment by morning and promptly stayed up late writing it. It was pitched to ABC the next week and they optioned it and assigned me a writing partner. After a year of rewrites and frustration, it almost made the cut at ABC to pilot, but lost out to Millionaire.

During that year I had left WDI and started pitching TV projects, producing small presentation pilots (you shoot from a few minutes up to 30) of new series for Showtime and even to CNN. A third show concept got made at Current TV. It was a "Google" branded news show and that was fun. Very well received and a breakthrough format that won a graphic design award. Ended up with a development deal and office at Vh1/M-Tv for a year. Had to come up with show ideas to test and develop. Good learning experience with some small stuff making air but mostly frustrating with no control over what you develop. Not that fun. Nothing noteworthy, but later became "creative consultant" (car ghost designer) for "Pimp my Ride".

What an adventure! There's more, but that's the basic summary.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, I recently came across the story of how you got a pre-opening look at the Magic Kingdom with Don Edgren and years later gave a speech at his retirement party. Thats pretty cool.

It was at that. Never forgot it. A hero for sure. WED was full of great people like Don. At the time he was super busy and a family of "lookieloos" sitting in his office had to be the last thing he needed on his to do list. I remember looking at his cabinet of project binders full of specs and plans. I kept the vehicle pass from that day. I should post it..Hard to believe he dropped everything to take us on a tour! I recall something about the roof of the "Hall of Presidents" that day being amiss, but now I understand (after being in the field) how every day you'd have a disaster to deal with.

jt04

It was at that. Never forgot it. A hero for sure. WED was full of great people like Don. At the time he was super busy and a family of "lookieloos" sitting in his office had to be the last thing he needed on his to do list. I remember looking at his cabinet of project binders full of specs and plans. I kept the vehicle pass from that day. I should post it..Hard to believe he dropped everything to take us on a tour! I recall something about the roof of the "Hall of Presidents" that day being amiss, but now I understand (after being in the field) how every day you'd have a disaster to deal with.

That is incredible that you experienced WDW at such an early moment in its construction. I see now precisely why you have such a strong appreciation of the natural elements of the property. There are few people today who realize how special and unique WDW is under all the development. I can still block out the clutter and remember just how amazing it was in those first few years and I actually feel bad for those who can't see the 'forest for the trees' so to speak. It is still a great area but it could have been so much more with a different vision. Even beyond Walt's concepts I think.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That is incredible that you experienced WDW at such an early moment in its construction. I see now precisely why you have such a strong appreciation of the natural elements of the property. There are few people today who realize how special and unique WDW is under all the development. I can still block out the clutter and remember just how amazing it was in those first few years and I actually feel bad for those who can't see the 'forest for the trees' so to speak. It is still a great area but it could have been so much more with a different vision. Even beyond Walt's concepts I think.

i don't wanna say it was rural at the time, but as I recall, the Orlando Airport had open air baggage claim! Like a few gates if at all. Nothing. One small building for everything. WDW was on a backroad as if you were lost in the glades. So weird, we thought we were lost, then it opens up to this big property.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
learning the lesser known legends

We all know who Marc Davis was, but what about Marvin Davis? Many lesser known Disney Legends had a huge effect on the parks and namely WDW (like Bill Martin). You might want to poke around and read some of the interesting backgrounds and credits of the Legends and see how the Art Department of 20th Century Fox Studio played a big role in shaping the look of Disneyland and WDW. (Sam McKim for one).

http://legends.disney.go.com/legends/detail?key=Marvin+Davis

Pioneer Hall

Michael Crawford has given us a new article about the EPCOT idea as of 1978 and John Donaldson has supplied some rare images. Very interesting.

http://progresscityusa.com/2011/06/19/epcot-origins-a-model-future-1978/

Thoughts?

Very good read...that is a very interesting look at the pavilions. While I like them, I can understand why the giant pools never came to fruition. After all this was still going to be a theme park and you do need to give yourself room for food, merch, etc. and it seems like those bodies of water took up a lot of precious space. I'm slightly torn about World Showcase. It seems that the pavilions designed there might not have been as grand as what we have now, and that it would have been somewhat cluttered. On the other hand, a few more countries (with attractions) would be nice.

RandySavage

Thanks for that link. I love detailed WDI models. I would love nothing more than to have full access to a museum of all the WDI models built over the years - especially of projects in early evolution stages (like this EPCOT one) or of never built projects.

Speaking of the latter, Eddie, did Tokyo's Sci-Fi City project get to this kind of detailed model stage (or multiple models) and do you know if the models still survive? It kills me to think all these incredible, museum-quality models have been produced over the years, only seen by a handful of people within the Disney company and then some (most?) are destroyed.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Thanks for that link. I love detailed WDI models. I would love nothing more than to have full access to a museum of all the WDI models built over the years - especially of projects in early evolution stages (like this EPCOT one) or of never built projects.

Speaking of the latter, Eddie, did Tokyo's Sci-Fi City project get to this kind of detailed model stage (or multiple models) and do you know if the models still survive? It kills me to think all these incredible, museum-quality models have been produced over the years, only seen by a handful of people within the Disney company and then some (most?) are destroyed.

Yes we did, and they did the whole land and it filled a big room. Even a full size Flying Saucer and working full scale Rocket Bike. Not sure what is left, usually they save the elaborate stuff.

wedenterprises

Michael Crawford has given us a new article about the EPCOT idea as of 1978 and John Donaldson has supplied some rare images. Very interesting.

http://progresscityusa.com/2011/06/19/epcot-origins-a-model-future-1978/

Thoughts?

I really love how some of the World Showcase pavilions (namely Mexico and Scandinavia) extend out into the pathway with the archways. I think that's one thing which is missing at the moment.

It feels a bit too much like a mall right now, something you pass by instead of enter into.

gljvd

i don't wanna say it was rural at the time, but as I recall, the Orlando Airport had open air baggage claim! Like a few gates if at all. Nothing. One small building for everything. WDW was on a backroad as if you were lost in the glades. So weird, we thought we were lost, then it opens up to this big property.

I started going down when i was 3 in 1984. I remember 192 being empty on the way to our time share and having to drive 4 miles or so to the one super market. Now the place is crazy. I went down twice a year growing up so i remember how it grew up basicly with me .

I even remember going on entry point or road to get ont the property before the built the bigger highway. We still use that short cut and normaly get pased a ton of lines getting in the park.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I started going down when i was 3 in 1984. I remember 192 being empty on the way to our time share and having to drive 4 miles or so to the one super market. Now the place is crazy. I went down twice a year growing up so i remember how it grew up basicly with me .

I even remember going on entry point or road to get ont the property before the built the bigger highway. We still use that short cut and normaly get pased a ton of lines getting in the park.

You have a great memory for being 3...

gljvd

You have a great memory for being 3...

I have a great vhs collection thanks to my dad !

He would film everything when he first got his camera. From 84 till about 86 then i think he gave up on it. It was really old school , The vcr had two parts and one part you'd keep on a messanger bag type thing on your shoulder and a wire would go up to the camera and thats how you recorded.

Anyway I have some memorys of the area without the flims too. I remember crying alot at circus world. I still hate clowns. The changing of the parks is drastic , even from when i have most of my memorys intact from i'd say 7 onwards.

ob1thx1138

I have a great vhs collection thanks to my dad !

He would film everything when he first got his camera. From 84 till about 86 then i think he gave up on it. It was really old school , The vcr had two parts and one part you'd keep on a messanger bag type thing on your shoulder and a wire would go up to the camera and thats how you recorded.

Anyway I have some memorys of the area without the flims too. I remember crying alot at circus world. I still hate clowns. The changing of the parks is drastic , even from when i have most of my memorys intact from i'd say 7 onwards.

LOL my dad had the same camera. The VCR was in two parts, one was where you put the tape (the part you carried in the bag and hooked the camera to) and the other half had the TV tunner in it and you left that at home. Also there was a second bag which contained a motorcycle battery to power the camera and VCR. So you had these two X-Box 360 sized bags one on either side and this huge camera. Could you imagine spending a day in the parks carrying all that around?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
LOL my dad had the same camera. The VCR was in two parts, one was where you put the tape (the part you carried in the bag and hooked the camera to) and the other half had the TV tunner in it and you left that at home. Also there was a second bag which contained a motorcycle battery to power the camera and VCR. So you had these two X-Box 360 sized bags one on either side and this huge camera. Could you imagine spending a day in the parks carrying all that around?

It's remarkable that you are among the first generations to have your memories photo documented with video. My generation has mostly snapshots and some silent 8 and some sound Super 8 when I got married. That's it and the color has faded. Our kids have their whole childhood on literally days of video, even if it is a mess of 8, High 8, S-VHS and DV. Now it's HD that taken mostly with their phones. AAAAH!

The 20th century was the first in history to be filmed.

gljvd

we still have my fathers , the batterys don't work but we have it. When I bought my canon hf11 my father was amazed that it was a pound or so and it used sd cards to record. He used it alot in disney when my nephew was 1 and he loved it. He said if he had that when we were little he'd be able to film 24/7 . Its funny because the batterys of his are heavier than my camera.

Eddie Sotto said:
It's remarkable that you are among the first generations to have your memories photo documented with video. My generation has mostly snapshots and some silent 8 and some sound Super 8 when I got married. That's it and the color has faded. Our kids have their whole childhood on literally days of video, even if it is a mess of 8, High 8, S-VHS and DV. Now it's HD that taken mostly with their phones. AAAAH!

The 20th century was the first in history to be filmed.

Yea , the amount of footage of my nephew is a bit insane. I think there is about 20 hours of total flim of me when i was little. I already have over 40 hours of my nephew and he is just over 2.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
HD is now in your iPhone 4 so you always have a decent quality image capture option. Imagine how some people in the future will be capturing their entire lives in time lapse or video and wirelessly storing them in real time in some server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom