Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
even after 10 years? The backend computing costs should be less today along with any on board computers. Are the sensors connected by cat5 wires to hubs or is it another wiring design?

They probably are less today, but you still have to engineer and build vehicles with a certain amount of on board sophistication and that is costly compared to omnimovers. I've heard that any future versions would be wire guided and simpler, and that could make sense as long as the experience isn't compromised.

flavious27

They probably are less today, but you still have to engineer and build vehicles with a certain amount of on board sophistication and that is costly compared to omnimovers. I've heard that any future versions would be wire guided and simpler, and that could make sense as long as the experience isn't compromised.

Well if it wire guided, wouldn't it compromise the experience because it would be on a set path and not have a randomized path?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Well if it wire guided, wouldn't it compromise the experience because it would be on a set path and not have a randomized path?

It's not really randomized anyway, it just feels that way. The paths cross each other and go backwards over the same areas, but they always remain the same. I think the wire was not used as it was not organic to the "Aquatopia" system that OLC insisted on adapting. No reason it could not be done that way.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I know there is another thread reacting to comments made by Tom Staggs about how the guest's experience will become more seamless due to integration of technology. Here's the summary as was posted elsewhere.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-76587.asp

There are great breakthroughs here to be made and hopefully not for technology's sake. We worked as a consulting creative firm on what evolved into "Photopass" and it is pretty remarkable what came out the other end after quite a bit of WDW beta testing. The goals of erasing the hassle and making a mass experience more personal is in my opinion a good one. Bob Iger is a big fan of using technology for CRM, or customer relationship management. Making sure it's used in a way that does not get in the way of the guest, but brings the cast members and the magic you came for closer in a more meaningful way. Technology does fail us at times and to a degree it can be for it's own sake. Let's hope that does not happen.

I look forward to what they are going to show us next. Thoughts? Am I being too optimistic?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I am excited to see what they come up with. I'm guessing the things that Tom Staggs touched on are just the tip of the iceberg and we'll see some really cool things happening with the way we experience our Disney vacations.

Obviously I am being optimistic about this as well. What Mr. Sotto mentioned about the technology not getting in the way of the guests, whether they be local day guests or once in a lifetime guests from another continent, will be key here.

rsoxguy

I look forward to what they are going to show us next. Thoughts? Am I being too optimistic?

I'm not sure how I feel about this issue. Technology has become such an integral part of our society, yet it robs us of the ability to enjoy the simplicity of life. Sometimes you just want to go to a theme park and have a nice day with the people you love. All of this preplanned meet-and-greet, meals, and reservation of time makes things seem as though you "have to get things done and experience it all". I think that the reservation system can be handy, but I truly miss the days when we used to choose a restaurant an hour before we ate. I miss walking up to an unexpected event and being able to enjoy a surprise or two at Disney World. I think that technology, in terms of a vacation destination such as Disney World, is a bit like a two edged sword.

flavious27

I am excited that parks and resorts is actually mentioning in public, to investors none the less, about pushing through new technology that will enhance the guest experience. Some of what was mentioned, booking FP and m&g months ahead of time, will be a negative.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm not sure how I feel about this issue. Technology has become such an integral part of our society, yet it robs us of the ability to enjoy the simplicity of life. Sometimes you just want to go to a theme park and have a nice day with the people you love. All of this preplanned meet-and-greet, meals, and reservation of time makes things seem as though you "have to get things done and experience it all". I think that the reservation system can be handy, but I truly miss the days when we used to choose a restaurant an hour before we ate. I miss walking up to an unexpected event and being able to enjoy a surprise or two at Disney World. I think that technology, in terms of a vacation destination such as Disney World, is a bit like a two edged sword.

HERE HERE!!!

Although I'm an LA Angels fan, I still like what you have to say :animwink:

The whole "Fastpass" thing has never been for me as I'm not a "planner" and I like to roam the park without the pressure of "getting it all in". I hate running to rides to get tickets to go back by X time. My job is that, why do that when I'm off? I'd rather wait in line than run on a schedule, but that's me. You become a slave to process instead of thematic serendipity. Many love being organized and beating the system, that's ok.

Knott's Berry Farm had that restful meandering feel about it. You were relaxed and just took it all in. WDW is structured to be the "all the rides you can eat buffet" and "you better get your share before the Tater Tots are gone and the warmer is empty" kind of vibe. Get this ride over with so we can go to the next one. NOW. It's quantity over quality at times. New Yorkers must love WDW. No one is there long enough to critique what they see as there is something else waiting around the bend. Why fix it? You've forgotten the broken Yeti because there are 3 more parks to hit.

It's sad if it eventually ends up that those who choose to "wing it", can't get on a ride or into a place to eat till 11 as the whole place was booked online months ago and all you got to see was the CM who sold you the "one day hopper to nothing". This is an extreme rant, but there is some truth to it and what you describe. WDW is trying to deal with masses and still have it be fun (hard to do). I get that and they are on the right track, but as with any kind of "progress", the nuance gets lost. The random warmth gets shaved off in the mechanized contrivance of "magic". I'm just not a planner with a stopwatch. They know all this and I'll give them time to give us the best and get it right because they usually do. Go Staggs!

We don't want to adopt technology out of fear that without it we are denied access to what we already paid for. Not fun.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I am excited that parks and resorts is actually mentioning in public, to investors none the less, about pushing through new technology that will enhance the guest experience. Some of what was mentioned, booking FP and m&g months ahead of time, will be a negative.

Good point!

Mansion Butler

HERE HERE!!!

Oh, Eddie. And here you were one of my heroes. :(
images

:lol:;)

imagineer boy

You know, I'm so tired of sitting and watching TDO constantly screw up and all I can do is complain with others about it on a discussion forum. I wish I could DO somthing about it. But of course, one doesn't just walk up to an executive office kick all the executives out and crown themself king. :lol:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You know, I'm so tired of sitting and watching TDO constantly screw up and all I can do is complain with others about it on a discussion forum. I wish I could DO somthing about it. But of course, one doesn't just walk up to an executive office kick all the executives out and crown themself king. :lol:

Computer pioneer Alan Kay once said "The best way to predict the future is to invent it".

When I was a kid I thought alot of what the company did was wrong or not what I wanted, etc so I decided to fight back in a creative way. I was pretty cynical. Back then there was no internet to complain on, so you just made things as solutions as you say "if I were king". Designed things in model form, did storyboards, teaching myself to be an Imagineer (kinda) and later I worked as a CM at the park. Two things happened. I gained respect for the problems management and Imagineers faced and realized that in some cases my solutions were too simplistic, and saw things as guests do which helped as well.

It's funny that when I look back at what really bothered me about the company at the time are the most beloved shows today. After POTC the expectation is "what's next?". I thought the HM was a letdown, Bear Country with CBJ was another step down from POTC. "America Sings" was even worse. SM was awesome and I was happy again but that was 10 years later. WDW was the only other "wow" out there. So you have to focus on the good otherwise you'll always find what you don't like.

Alektronic

Ahh the Rangers. We have the great Nolan Ryan in common, once a Ranger and an Angel. I watched him pitch some amazing games. Texas is a great team.

Yes. Good ol' Nolan Ryan I remember watching him pitch also, even though he was traded for my favorite Angel Jim Fregosi, but then Jim eventually came back and managed Ryan and the Angels. Good times back at the Big "A"

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Yes. Good ol' Nolan Ryan I remember watching him pitch also, even though he was traded for my favorite Angel Jim Fregosi, but then Jim eventually came back and managed Ryan and the Angels. Good times back at the Big "A"

When I was a kid, my Dad signed me up for the "Jim Fregosi Baseball School" at a local batting cage in Anaheim. This was while he was still a shortstop. He brought some of his Angel infield buddies and of course, my Dad was more thrilled than I was. Jim and his pals would show us kids the right stance, swing and stuff like that. My Mom was nuts about him. Back then you could get close to the players and they were locals. No one made big money. They enjoyed teaching us kids too. Then the big stars came in...Great memories of Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, Don Baylor, and Dan Ford. I loved watching the "Big A" halo light up too, and because we usually went to the Angel/Disneyland fun days, where the whole Stadium crowd ended up in their Angel gear at Disneyland after the game, it was such a cool thing to be a fan of both. Ahh.... the days before brawls, steroids, rehabs and salaries. I LOVED THAT.

Quick Story on that topic...

Myself and another Imagineer were invited to lunch with Mr. Eisner one day at the studio, when midsentence he was interrupted by an assistant crossing the dining room with a folder and a pen. Michael put his fork down and signed these contracts inside of a minute and then handed the folder back to the assistant who darted away. He looked up and said. "Sorry about that interruption, but we just bought the Angels."

I was blown away!!!!! The team we followed since I was a kid changed hands on the lunch table. I called my dad when I got back to the car. He was floored.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
We were having lunch with Mr. Eisner one day at the studio, when he was interrupted by a man with a folder with some paperwork. He put his fork down and signed these papers at the table and then handed it back to the guy who darted away. He looked up and said. "Sorry about that interruption, but we just bought the Angels."

I was blown away!!!!! The team we followed since I was a kid was on the lunch table.

LOL! That is so cool!

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to DL this summer that will definitely include an Angels game while we're out there.

flavious27

HERE HERE!!!

The whole "Fastpass" thing has never been for me as I'm not a "planner" and I like to roam the park without the pressure of "getting it all in". I hate running to rides to get tickets to go back by X time. My job is that, why do that when I'm off? I'd rather wait in line than run on a schedule, but that's me. You become a slave to process instead of thematic serendipity. Many love being organized and beating the system, that's ok.

Knott's Berry Farm had that restful meandering feel about it. You were relaxed and just took it all in. WDW is structured to be the "all the rides you can eat buffet" and "you better get your share before the Tater Tots are gone and the warmer is empty" kind of vibe. Get this ride over with so we can go to the next one. NOW. It's quantity over quality at times. New Yorkers must love WDW. No one is there long enough to critique what they see as there is something else waiting around the bend. Why fix it? You've forgotten the broken Yeti because there are 3 more parks to hit.

It's sad if it eventually ends up that those who choose to "wing it", can't get on a ride or into a place to eat till 11 as the whole place was booked online months ago and all you got to see was the CM who sold you the "one day hopper to nothing". This is an extreme rant, but there is some truth to it and what you describe. WDW is trying to deal with masses and still have it be fun (hard to do). I get that and they are on the right track, but as with any kind of "progress", the nuance gets lost. The random warmth gets shaved off in the mechanized contrivance of "magic". I'm just not a planner with a stopwatch. They know all this and I'll give them time to give us the best and get it right because they usually do. Go Staggs!

We don't want to adopt technology out of fear that without it we are denied access to what we already paid for. Not fun.

Can you really compare knott's to any disney park? the way they were planned and built is different along with the attendance.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Quick Story on that topic...

Myself and another Imagineer were invited to lunch with Mr. Eisner one day at the studio, when midsentence he was interrupted by an assistant crossing the dining room with a folder and a pen. Michael put his fork down and signed these contracts inside of a minute and then handed the folder back to the assistant who darted away. He looked up and said. "Sorry about that interruption, but we just bought the Angels."

I was blown away!!!!! The team we followed since I was a kid changed hands on the lunch table. I called my dad when I got back to the car. He was floored.

:eek: wow!! amazing story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom