Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneysroyal411

What are anyone's thoughts on a new movie for Soarin? Personally I think that it is needed for, not only has the movie for Soarin been around a while, but I feel a little tired of Soarin over CALIFORNIA in FLORIDA.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I have no clue what to think of Bob Iger these days First I read this article and see he is endorsed by Warren Buffett.(My indirect boss.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/business/11iger.html
Then I read this.
http://disneymediocrity.com/
Who to believe?
:confused:

There's a shred of truth in ever rumor. Read it all and be sure and have your own opinion. I never saw that blog before and while it whines a bit too much for my tastes, there are some well written perspectives in there that are provocative. IMHO Bob Iger is doing his job, which is making choices (many involve technology and using it to be relevant) that he thinks will benefit the company and take the brand into new "territory". When you do that, you sometimes find hostile tribes and bears in the woods. You either kill them all, get scalped or eaten, or make peace treaties, (or as he's done before buy their land for a string of beads) so let's see what he does. As for "mediocrity", one man's Hayley Mills is another man's Miley Cyrus. A big subject.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What are anyone's thoughts on a new movie for Soarin? Personally I think that it is needed for, not only has the movie for Soarin been around a while, but I feel a little tired of Soarin over CALIFORNIA in FLORIDA.

Why not? I agree there is huge potential in that ride format, so using 3D or pushing it out with a more impactful film would be great.

As an example, "How to train your Dragon" as the theme of a 3D Soarin' type flight ride would be fun. Universal should do that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why not? I agree there is huge potential in that ride format, so using 3D or pushing it out with a more impactful film would be great.

As an example, "How to train your Dragon" as the theme of a 3D Soarin' type flight ride would be fun. Universal should do that.
I have maintained the opinion that the ride system used in Soarin would be a good fit for every Disney park on the planet. It is just such a great ride system, fully immersive, thrilling but not too thrilling, limitless themes, in a word... perfect.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
yeah i read that earlier and it's kind of mind blowing that there would be such a dramatic oversight like that. The thought of having an entire park be a pre and post show for one attraction is to me kind of unfathomable.

Maybe there wasn't much oversight. These things can happen when many small and seemingly minor compromises are made over the life of the project. They can have an unseen cumulative effect over time. Sometimes one group takes away a small part of that area for budget, one raises the railing 6 inches to keep the plants safe, but that cuts the sightline for one seated, etc. Another eats into the space just a bit for a food cart, another for a lighting tower, and then it all adds up and ends up compromised. No one person is charged with the success of that area against all other concerns. Death by 1000 tiny cuts, so to speak. I'm not saying that's the way this issue happened, but that's just one innocent way I've seen these things evolve into something less than expected. Part of the designer's diary.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I have maintained the opinion that the ride system used in Soarin would be a good fit for every Disney park on the planet. It is just such a great ride system, fully immersive, thrilling but not too thrilling, limitless themes, in a word... perfect.

There is more than can be done to deal with the sightlines of the screen as well. Uni uses that basic format for Simpsons with a simulator.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You can find a wide spectrum of opinions on any issue. For every Fox News, there's an MSNBC. :lol: I think the key is to be impartial, learn and understand both sides of the issue, and make up your own mind.

I think what DisneyMediocrity is failing to appreciate are the obligations Iger has to fill as a CEO. Although I tire of hearing this argument, Disney is a business... yet at the same time, one that relies on the creative output of its artists and designers. What that means is that while there are many forces within the company that are pushing for more budgets, more detail, more of what they want, that there has to be a leading figure to make sure it comes together, and does so in a manner that will bring the necessary level of return back to the company. That is a CEO's job, and it can be a difficult task to balance the wants of the creatives versus the needs of the shareholders (who, realistically, the designers need so they can keep designing). Given the huge complexity of this task, it's one Iger seems to be doing quite well.

Even Walt Disney had his Roy. ;)

Well spoken. And sometimes Walt and Roy have to be the same guy. Yikes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There is more than can be done to deal with the sightlines of the screen as well. Uni uses that basic format for Simpsons with a simulator.

I love this ride system. The Simpsons is a very different ride then Soarin but works under the same basic principles. Personally I think the Simpsons ride delivers a more enjoyable experience, but perhaps that comes from my love of the Simpsons. As far as a new movie for soarin goes, I have been hoping for one since the day it opened. The possibilities are endless. They could go with a magic carpet ride from Alladin or take us on a tour of the world's most iconic sites. Limiting it to California is, in my opinion, a huge waste of such a wonderful ride system.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I think that 3D would be great on Soarin, they should have multiple films as well.

I couldn't agree with you more. It would be great if they had multiple films and you didn't know which one you were going to get. They could even create a storyline where you are just showing up for some sort of mystery flight.

My issue with Soarin has always been the film. I feel like it lacks continuity the way it just jumps to each scene. It would great if they could edit the film and use effects to make it seamless. Or, if there are multiple films, just have the film concentrate on one location, but I like the idea of using editing and special effects to create a seamless experience.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
My issue with Soarin has always been the film. I feel like it lacks continuity the way it just jumps to each scene. It would great if they could edit the film and use effects to make it seamless. Or, if there are multiple films, just have the film concentrate on one location, but I like the idea of using editing and special effects to create a seamless experience.

Those hard edits kind of break the spell don't they? Maybe they will add clouds or a storm you fly through in the next version. What I like about it in general is that it taps into a primal aspiration which is to "fly like a bird". It's funny.. we will wait 45 minutes to go on Soarin' which is obviously simulated, but no one even cares to look out the window when they are at 35k feet in a jet and it's real.

Buried20KLeague

Those hard edits kind of break the spell don't they? Maybe they will add clouds or a storm you fly through in the next version. What I like about it in general is that it taps into a primal aspiration which is to "fly like a bird". It's funny.. we will wait 45 minutes to go on Soarin' which is obviously simulated, but no one even cares to look out the window when they are at 35k feet in a jet and it's real.

I would be looking out the window PLENTY if we were only 200 ft up in that jet like you are on Soarin'! :lookaroun

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Making of Walt Disney World

My favorite book on WDW, was this black covered booklet on "The making of WDW Commemorative Edition". Pretty rare. I bought one on eBay recently ($30.) as I could not find my dogeared copy and it really gave me the sense of the "wow" that was and is WDW. You can see the vision behind the project in the way they describe the park and all of it's wonders. Many construction photos of things we take for granted today. It was unlike anything ever built on Earth, an extraordinary work. This booklet is a piece of history worth owning. I'd link to it on ebay but could not find one.

misterID

After 55 years of silence, covering his mouth and nodding, the Mickey Mouse walk around character finally speaks. Here's a link to a youtube video of a test they were doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6k2xdtU8Wc

How did they do that? A voice filter? That's pretty cool and completely creepy all at the same time. I wonder if they would do this for Captain Hook. I bet the number of screaming kids who encounter him would spike about 1,000%.

T-1MILLION

It reminds me of the talking suits from the Dream Along with Mickey show tried rolling with years ago and everyone was sure something imediately would follow relative to meet and greets but I remember the costumes, at least at the time proved to be too much of a pain and issue for such things. I could be wrong but that is what I recall reading on.

Also Soarin' could have some really easily enhanced transitions and experience by just adding clouds not only to the film but a little LN2 type leakage from above to create a nice mist in front of you to seemingly soar through.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Talking mouse

How did they do that? A voice filter? That's pretty cool and completely creepy all at the same time. I wonder if they would do this for Captain Hook. I bet the number of screaming kids who encounter him would spike about 1,000%.

Not sure how it is done. Voice filter seems probable. I think the only danger in doing this is not the cast member saying something off color, it's the synergy department having him whisper to the kids to con their parents into joining the Disney Vacation Club or to apply for a Disney Visa card. "MIC.. See ya' real soon.. at the new Boca Raton Vacation Villas!" One day they could use him to do employee layoffs and have him in an office. That way you can't blame your boss for picking you, because Mickey himself gave you your pink slip and said "here ya' go, your very own pink slip, just like the one I gave Dreamfinder...it's collectible! see ya' pal!".

The possibilities are virtually endless. I think they did a good job with it.

I wonder why it seems creepy? You are not the only one to say that. I thought it was awkward having him with no mouth move in all those shows. Covering his mouth and gesturing. BTW what is so unusual about a gigantic talking mouse?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
one day they could use him to do employee layoffs and have him in an office. That way you can't blame your boss for picking you, because mickey himself gave you your pink slip and said "here ya' go, your very own pink slip, just like the one i gave dreamfinder...it's collectible! See ya' pal!".

The possibilities are virtually endless. I think they did a good job with it.

:lol:

DisneyNut2007

That would be great and they used to do that. The problem is many recent rides are fully screen-based. For example; The Seas with Nemo & Friends' Gran Fiesta Tour' MILF and of course the controversial new ending to Spaceship Earth.

That's nothing more than a mere coincidence, HMF! :mad:

And besides, some of those attractions (like Gran Fiesta Tour) were already mostly screen-centric to begin with.

And not every attraction has to be a Audio-Animatronic-infested pageant.

If you can use screens effectively to compliment AA's (like El Rio Del Tiempo or American Adventure) it would be great.

Gran Fiesta Tour did that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom