Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

The Empress Lilly

I'd love to see Disney do something visionary like this 2 minute TV Ad from French jeweler, Cartier. It took two years to make. Their mascot or logo has been a Panther, and this one takes us to amazing places and shows off insane jewelry. I was blown away when I saw it running between other banal ads. It will never make it's money back, but wows us and tells us who they are and who they want to be. Worth the watch for sure.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1680037/watch-cartiers-two-years-in-the-making-odyssey-film
Visionary? Is it not more aptly described as a blingbling ad selling luxury goods to the biggest markets for luxury bling, Russia and China? :shrug:

Can I go out on a limb here and suggest that designers, by the nature of their profession, make little distinction between form and content? ;)

The Empress Lilly

What to do with the current EPCOT? Hmmm, name change that might more accurately reflect what it has become. Better minds than mine would be able to come up with something for that.

What would you call it, Eddie?
One could consider leaving the current Epcot intact, and build a city around it. Then we rename the theme park into EPCOT Center, and it´s central square we shall name the community´s core.

Although, with today´s breakthroughs in communication, all of us permanently connected to each other without being in each other´s physical proximity, we could do away with building a brick and stone city, and suffice with building a permanent forum for the exchange of inspiration and ideas.

Then we could ad a permanent showcase for the achievements of cultures worldwide. A truly global community, anchored on one end by a celebration of communication which has made us one, and anchored on the other end by this showcase of humanity´s infinite cultural richness.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Easy discouragement is a sure sign that the American empire is falling. When kids don't learn that constructive criticism often comes in the form of something other than a friendly pat on the back, and two compliments surrounding an almost apologetic bit of "Gee, try to do better next time", we have lost something. Coaches, drill sergeants, tough teachers, and real parents should not be muted because someone's ego might get damaged. Speak plainly; not cruelly, but plainly. Correct the poor results, and bad behavior for that matter, and we will grow as a culture. Pussyfoot around with hints, or nothing, instead of plain criticism, and most people will be left in a fog not knowing what's good, bad, or even junk.

Yet over the internet, we type plainly, often with no diplomacy. Conjuring up ideas with brainstorming sessions is fun, but sometimes discouraging because you always have to return to reality. A corporation survives on compromise, and even Walt had to endure much of that, especially once the union moved into the studio in the 40's.

Yet it is the great spirits who achieve greatness, often at a terrible personal cost. Would the parks be better if the uninhibited team of Walt & Roy ran Disney for the last 40 years? Probably. But they died, requiring ideas to get compromised by shareholders, boards, committees, and the numbers guys. Oh well, America needs visionaries who don't get discouraged with each critique, who can cut through the bureaucracy, and who can inspire great achievments. Such people seem to be lacking at all levels of leadership in our country, from the White House to the shop floor. And apparently at the level of some true decision-maker who could run the parks. Maybe Lasseter will bring it back.

And that's my last diatribe for the day.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow. Good post!

Great projects usually have tireless champions. People that believe in the idea and those that surround them. It's ugly, but it gets there and the champions are sometimes perfectionists and drive the team to go beyond where they even thought they could. It hurts your health and you get too wrapped up in what you're doing. Nothing is ever good enough and you want it to be better than what was. I was not always well liked by everyone at WDI. Not everyone wanted to work with me and I get that. Others loved working with me and continue to do so today. I was considered to be "too demanding" by some. Still others saw the results and were proud of we were all able to do. I've mellowed out a bit since then, but try to get the most out of myself and others.

Some leaders are Pattons and others are Coppolas. Others are like Capt. James T. Kirk. Here's great article on leadership and how Kirk's values may be something to learn from.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/03/05/five-leadership-lessons-from-james-t-kirk/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Visionary? Is it not more aptly described as a blingbling ad selling luxury goods to the biggest markets for luxury bling, Russia and China? :shrug:

Can I go out on a limb here and suggest that designers, by the nature of their profession, make little distinction between form and content? ;)

It is actually a visual history of their brand as they created jewels for the Czars of Russia and leaders of China, France, England and the world. The creatures are actually drawn from famous pieces they have done. Cartier is famous for making some of the most treasured jewelry in the world. there is great art and imagination in the design and craft of the jeweler. I thought they told the story of their product in a very elegant way.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
One could consider leaving the current Epcot intact, and build a city around it. Then we rename the theme park into EPCOT Center, and it´s central square we shall name the community´s core.

Although, with today´s breakthroughs in communication, all of us permanently connected to each other without being in each other´s physical proximity, we could do away with building a brick and stone city, and suffice with building a permanent forum for the exchange of inspiration and ideas.

Then we could ad a permanent showcase for the achievements of cultures worldwide. A truly global community, anchored on one end by a celebration of communication which has made us one, and anchored on the other end by this showcase of humanity´s infinite cultural richness.

My original article suggested this extension of EPCOT. What do you think?

http://imagineeringdisney.blogspot.com/

Knothead

My original article suggested this extension of EPCOT. What do you think?

http://imagineeringdisney.blogspot.com/

All I know is I have hoped and prayed for a long time that i would live long enough to see Walt's EPCOT realized. Every time I ride the peoplemover I try to imagine myself returning home from a long day at work. Silly, I know, but imagine how great that would be the next time you're stuck in traffic somewhere. The transportation concepts alone are marvelous, I'm surprised some of them haven't been implemented, especially on property...

I could go on forever, but I guess it boils down to me being homesick for a place that never existed. Is there still a glimmer of hope that something could ever come of this plan? Even on a smaller scale?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
All I know is I have hoped and prayed for a long time that i would live long enough to see Walt's EPCOT realized. Every time I ride the peoplemover I try to imagine myself returning home from a long day at work. Silly, I know, but imagine how great that would be the next time you're stuck in traffic somewhere. The transportation concepts alone are marvelous, I'm surprised some of them haven't been implemented, especially on property...

I could go on forever, but I guess it boils down to me being homesick for a place that never existed. Is there still a glimmer of hope that something could ever come of this plan? Even on a smaller scale?

It seems that the "Real World" is surpassing the Disney one. Airports have better WEDWAY type transportation than WDW. I think someone has to decide they want to "own" the mission of doing a prototype city and have the guts to see it through. It may not be all high tech, it may be blend of nature and technology with an ease of mobility. As has been pointed out, it's riddled with risk and planning issues, but that's exactly why Disney should attempt it. After all, they promised.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think someone has to decide they want to "own" the mission of doing a prototype city and have the guts to see it through.

Agreed, which is probably why it would have to be a private investor who either doesn't have to answer to stockholders on his project, or is very persuasive.

I will link to Masdar, which is a very unique city project being built in the UAE.

While its VERY different from the EPCOT city plan, the principles are similar:

http://www.masdarcity.ae/en/

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Agreed, which is probably why it would have to be a private investor who either doesn't have to answer to stockholders on his project, or is very persuasive.

I will link to Masdar, which is a very unique city project being built in the UAE.

While its VERY different from the EPCOT city plan, the principles are similar:

http://www.masdarcity.ae/en/

Here's my take on how to do it and come out alive.

You create a Prototype Resort Community in the sense that you are a "showroom" of various trans, energy and design solutions and "pieces" of the future. Maglev vehicles, solar, etc. The idea is fluid in a way that you can evolve it. Masdar does not look like that, and I think there will be mistakes to correct, so why not create a framework that is green and can be the platform for experiments? You can DVC a stay in the future, but not have to live in it. Basically, set the table but let the dinner evolve over time.

Cosmic Commando

It seems that the "Real World" is surpassing the Disney one. Airports have better WEDWAY type transportation than WDW. I think someone has to decide they want to "own" the mission of doing a prototype city and have the guts to see it through. It may not be all high tech, it may be blend of nature and technology with an ease of mobility. As has been pointed out, it's riddled with risk and planning issues, but that's exactly why Disney should attempt it. After all, they promised.
It is actually surprising that we don't have a Peoplemover somewhere on property as actual transportation. I'm not sure what the problem would be: great throughput, low labor costs, LIM technology seems reliable. Maybe it doesn't scale up well? Does anyone know what a mile of Peoplemover track would cost?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It is actually surprising that we don't have a Peoplemover somewhere on property as actual transportation. I'm not sure what the problem would be: great throughput, low labor costs, LIM technology seems reliable. Maybe it doesn't scale up well? Does anyone know what a mile of Peoplemover track would cost?

A lot. Maglev and concrete beam ways are mucho bucks, like building public transport. BTW, your Orange Bird Avatar makes me smile every time I see it. Thanks!

IlikeDW

Richard Branson? Not sure I like the sound of "Virgin City" though

Cosmic Commando

A lot. Maglev and concrete beam ways are mucho bucks, like building public transport. BTW, your Orange Bird Avatar makes me smile every time I see it. Thanks!

I know the Vegas monorail ran around one billion dollars per mile! :eek: I thought maybe we could could get "bargain" peoplemover track for maybe only $100M per mile. :ROFLOL:

The Orange Bird makes me smile, too! I never visited WDW while he was in the park and I doubt I ever saw him on TV, but as soon as he resurfaced online, I was in love. I think it's a nice little piece of character design that he resonates so many years later with people who don't have that context from the 70's. He just oozes cheerfulness!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I know the Vegas monorail ran around one billion dollars per mile! :eek: I thought maybe we could could get "bargain" peoplemover track for maybe only $100M per mile. :ROFLOL:

The Orange Bird makes me smile, too! I never visited WDW while he was in the park and I doubt I ever saw him on TV, but as soon as he resurfaced online, I was in love. I think it's a nice little piece of character design that he resonates so many years later with people who don't have that context from the 70's. He just oozes cheerfulness!

Here's the commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or06hqP_lMg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While we're discussing timepieces, one of the things I've always wanted to do was to design my own watches, but the things other companies are coming out with is amazing, like some of these.

I wish I could afford a super nice watch, but if so, I'd never be able to decide!

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/

HMF

I was looking through the book "Walt Disney Imagineering: a behind the dreams look at making more magic real" and noticed on page 122 there is a sketch of Main Street at DLP credited to Herb Ryman but it does not reflect his style however, I have reached a point where I can recognize Eddie's drawing style so I think it's his.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was looking through the book "Walt Disney Imagineering: a behind the dreams look at making more magic real" and noticed on page 122 there is a sketch of Main Street at DLP credited to Herb Ryman but it does not reflect his style however, I have reached a point where I can recognize Eddie's drawing style so I think it's his.

I do not own that recent version. Post a phone pic of the page and I'll tell you if I did it. I have to admit, I'm flattered that anyone could ever confuse my work with the master Herb Ryman! Even if it is his, I'm grateful for the confusion!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom