Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What a fantastic artist, and so talented in so many varying disciplines. It would be a treat to see the landscaping of his residence in Malibu.

Who handled the sidewalk landscaping at Rivera?

It was Cheryl Holdridge for me. Sadly she is no longer with us.

I had to look that one up! Never noticed her.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I just wanted to stop in and thank you, Eddie, for all the amzing links and information that you share on this thread. Although I don't contribute here very much (I'll plead guity to being woefully intimidated), I have learned so much here. What a refreshing change!

The last thing we want to do is intimidate. Every "Guest is a VIP", so chime in when you can. Glad to inspire if possible!

Jeanine

Late but worth the wait! It's great to have you!

Thank you so much for those great Walter Knott quotes. What took us so long to do that? Good idea. Excellent choices.

Here's the link to "Knott's Preserved", best book on the Farm.
http://www.amazon.com/Knotts-Preser...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328976511&sr=1-1

It is true that if you really think something is fun and interesting, a crowd will gather. As is true with Knott's. I love the other one about how making money is nice but the freedom to do what you love is better. He loved what he was doing and his motives were not to dominate, just to create and spread enjoyment. So true. Kind of why I left Disney. You just want to find the shortest distance to making great things happen.

Did you know that when he was "killing it" with the Boysenberry, he could have kept the strains to himself, but instead gave vine cuttings to his competitors so they could prosper. When I worked there in the Design Dept., he was quite old and suffered from Parkinson's. There was a mobile home right there on the property in guest view near the parking lot. I would sit in my office and see the nurse wheel him out there on the porch in his wheelchair. He could not speak, but could idly watch the guests walk by. None of them had a clue who he was. I used to sit and wonder what he was thinking as the crowds walked by.

Tragic indeed. but you chose some great quotes. If you want to know more about Mr. Knott and his incredible life, here's a link to a book on his struggle and perseverance to survive in the depression. Excellent read.

http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Farmer-Story-Walter-Knott/dp/B0006AUO00

Oops--I logged in on a different computer and it brought up an old account I used to have. :eek:

I remember being at a talk by Carl Reiner once, who spoke about doing the ________ Van show, where he said essentially the same thing--that the "secret" to writing hit shows like Your Show of Shows was that the writers just came up with stuff that they thought was funny, and figured they were like most people, so other people would think it was funny as well. It probably goes to show, that nothing important was ever created by anyone who thought they needed to "dumb it down" for the common folk.

With Parkinson's, a lot of the time the mind is preserved pretty well, so hopefully he could appreciate how much fun he had created for people.

Looking forward to reading more of the book--I have to say, I never imagined Knotts to have so many parallels with Disney, as far as hard work, perseverance, dedication to quality, and self-determination. It truly was the Greatest Generation.

lazyboy97o

I think my professional musician career aspirations just went up.
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-its-a-small-world-nextgen-interactive-queue-19606/ To quote Eric Cartman "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself."
and I thought the Disney Character dolls were bad, This is an absolute disgrace and if I were one of Mary Blair's relatives, I would be furious.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA
Jim Hill has been mentioning this for awhile now. According to him, there will be a screen towards the end. I believe he stated in the "Good Bye" room.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The idea of having more interactivity is not a bad one....however the way they're doing things so far just seems to be a way to keep the kids occupied and not much more.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think my professional musician career aspirations just went up.
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-its-a-small-world-nextgen-interactive-queue-19606/ To quote Eric Cartman "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself."
and I thought the Disney Character dolls were bad, This is an absolute disgrace and if I were one of Mary Blair's relatives, I would be furious.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

Hmm. I'm not sure how that would even work. How does a boat of 16 people all see their (Blair-bie) "doll" they designed in the ride on monitors at once? Maybe they do a HM "mirror" and your doll "appears" in the boat with you and you have to buy it on the way out.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What a fantastic artist, and so talented in so many varying disciplines. It would be a treat to see the landscaping of his residence in Malibu.

Who handled the sidewalk landscaping at Rivera?

We did that ourselves as they are planter boxes. Pretty basic.
Here's Paul's official website.

http://www.comstockla.com

It loads pretty slow, so be patient, but there are lots of great images from the parks and other projects.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Art is the Concealment of Effort.

Is it a sad commentary on the state of Disney that in thinking of this call to relentless action, my brain went first to Eddie's video find of a crazy alpine coaster, and second to how Disney could do it... and my next thought was that Disney would make it a simulator, if setting out to do an alpine coaster, not a real experience.

In a sense, Disney has always simulated rather than provide "the real." This is, in fact, the very mission statement of the parks (not stated as such, but you know what I mean). But I wonder if there's a spectrum of possibilities here, and the 2012 company is in a different place than the 1955 company on this point.

This is a question from the past about the power of real experiences versus simulated. Kevin referenced those downhill Alpine Racer type gravity rides.

We attended the newest tented "Cirque Du Soleil" show on the beach in Santa Monica the other night. What struck me about the show is the contrast of hard reality in the real risks taken by the acrobats to the surreal fantasy to the way they were packaged in costume and music. Nothing was simulated, in fact you were on the edge of your seat because of that. Those amazing acrobatics were then taken to a symbolic level (like a ballet) of a "butterfly" emerging from a Coccoon. Something equally beautiful. Cirque leverages it's fantasy by using reality and humor.

The show's "magic" occurs because we only see the results of years of rehearsal. We are stunned when these performers just walk up and do something seemingly impossible because we were not there for the years of failure and tedious rehearsal. We just magically see them do it in an instant. What power. They collapse time to produce a distorted version of reality and that makes the fantasy even more real. Interesting.

In parallel terms, you don't see the myriad of talent at WDI that goes into making a Matterhorn, you just conquer the Mountain you had no experience in climbing. You hide the talent and just get the "win", or the result. "How did they do that?" you say. "It must be Disney magic". In fact, if we knew how many people and how much effort went in versus the result we might even be underwhelmed. This is true as people think of budget as effort. "For 100 million you'd think they'd have done this or that". etc.

Charles Chaplin ordered his rehearsal outtakes for his films burned so no one could see how he did his stunts. He once said that "Art was the Concealment of effort". I never saw the years of training and bad work Herb Ryman went through either, I just saw him his lift his brush and with little effort, beauty came out. Maybe Chaplin was on to something.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The other "Mission:Space"

Interesting to see how far the Russians got until the cash ran out. Amazing images and obviously inspired by the American program. Impressive as it had it's own awe.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/11/rare-photos-of-russian-buran-space.html

A true and compelling page that was ripped out of the Captain's Log of man's quest for Space. We sometimes talk about what it's like to have your project of many years compromised or cancelled, this would be a heartbreaking example, as when the USA Shuttle program was being scrapped, too much of this one had already been dismantled to come back in it's place. Tragic no matter who you are rooting for.

CBOMB

I had to look that one up! Never noticed her.
You are much to young to remember the original Mickey Mouse Club. Probably by the time you saw it in reruns you were to old to fall for any of the lasses. Annette Funicello drew the most attention of all the performers, but Cheryl held the key to my heart. She was that beautiful, worldly older woman.

We did that ourselves as they are planter boxes. Pretty basic.
Here's Paul's official website.

http://www.comstockla.com

It loads pretty slow, so be patient, but there are lots of great images from the parks and other projects.

I saw pictures of the planters outside, and I noticed some trees through the window while viewing the interior that you designed for your restaurant. I just didn't know how elaborate the outside design was. I knew the space for landscaping would be limited because of the location.

I immediately went to Paul Comstock's web site yesterday after reading the other links you provided about him. To say he is a master is an understatement on my part. Anybody who has ever seen the landscaping at Disney's Animal Kingdom already knows that though.

I know you have some regrets over your design of the Las Vegas Penske-Wynn Ferrari-Maserati dealership. I believe that artist/designers are their own harshest critics. Just my opinion but that showroom is fitting for the class of automobiles it displays.

I do not want you to go over older material that you may have already discussed, but have you talked about your design work on the 10,000 year clock already?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
You are much to young to remember the original Mickey Mouse Club. Probably by the time you saw it in reruns you were to old to fall for any of the lasses. Annette Funicello drew the most attention of all the performers, but Cheryl held the key to my heart. She was that beautiful, worldly older woman.

I saw pictures of the planters outside, and I noticed some trees through the window while viewing the interior that you designed for your restaurant. I just didn't know how elaborate the outside design was. I knew the space for landscaping would be limited because of the location.

I immediately went to Paul Comstock's web site yesterday after reading the other links you provided about him. To say he is a master is an understatement on my part. Anybody who has ever seen the landscaping at Disney's Animal Kingdom already knows that though.

I know you have some regrets over your design of the Las Vegas Penske-Wynn Ferrari-Maserati dealership. I believe that artist/designers are their own harshest critics. Just my opinion but that showroom is fitting for the class of automobiles it displays.

I do not want you to go over older material that you may have already discussed, but have you talked about your design work on the 10,000 year clock already?

The design of the clock belongs to it's founder, Danny Hillis. I am just a supporting voice in his choir. Some early sketches of mine along with David Lynch are on their longnow.org site. I'm there to support my friend Danny.

The misgiving I have about the Ferrari project is not the showroom so much as it was the Ferrari themed Restaurant. The Ferrari brand was withdrawn from that area as the two parties could not come to terms, but design was complete and construction had begun. We had to omit all the Ferrari custom "wow" aspects, logos, imagery, from the place, so it fell far short of expectation in my opinion. It is a different concept entirely today and that's good.

CBOMB

This is a question from the past about the power of real experiences versus simulated. Kevin referenced those downhill Alpine Racer type gravity rides.

We attended the newest tented "Cirque Du Soleil" show on the beach in Santa Monica the other night. What struck me about the show is the contrast of hard reality in the real risks taken by the acrobats to the surreal fantasy to the way they were packaged in costume and music. Nothing was simulated, in fact you were on the edge of your seat because of that. Those amazing acrobatics were then taken to a symbolic level (like a ballet) of a "butterfly" emerging from a Coccoon. Something equally beautiful. Cirque leverages it's fantasy by using reality and humor.

The show's "magic" occurs because we only see the results of years of rehearsal. We are stunned when these performers just walk up and do something seemingly impossible because we were not there for the years of failure and tedious rehearsal. We just magically see them do it in an instant. What power. They collapse time to produce a distorted version of reality and that makes the fantasy even more real. Interesting.

In parallel terms, you don't see the myriad of talent at WDI that goes into making a Matterhorn, you just conquer the Mountain you had no experience in climbing. You hide the talent and just get the "win", or the result. "How did they do that?" you say. "It must be Disney magic". In fact, if we knew how many people and how much effort went in versus the result we might even be underwhelmed. This is true as people think of budget as effort. "For 100 million you'd think they'd have done this or that". etc.

Charles Chaplin ordered his rehearsal outtakes for his films burned so no one could see how he did his stunts. He once said that "Art was the Concealment of effort". I never saw the years of training and bad work Herb Ryman went through either, I just saw him his lift his brush and with little effort, beauty came out. Maybe Chaplin was on to something.

For some reason this made me think of the movie Total Recall.

Simulators can certainly be enjoyable, when done properly. Star Tours, and Mission Space are perfect examples. Neither ride would be practical to produce any other way. So I believe they do have a place along side live entertainment. Never replacing it though.

I honestly believe most people realize the effort that goes into anything that brings them enjoyment. I also believe that most people understand the years of effort it takes for artist of any kind to become successful at their particular craft. I guess most people though don't actually think about the time, and dedication involved to achieve the final product while they enjoy it.

Kind of like watching the movie Lonesome Dove. You become engrossed in the movie itself. You know it takes a lot of people with a lot of talent to make that movie, but that is not your immediate focus. When the credits start rolling at the end of the movie you find out just how many.

Then your watch a movie on the making of Lonesome Dove. This gives you a whole new perspective on things. Does this detract from the original movie or does it draw you closer to it?

When you walk down Main Street U.S.A. you are surrounded in magic. For some people that magic disappears if they see backstage. For others they want to see for themselves what's back there.

A magic trick stops being magic when you learn the trick behind it. You still have to respect the talent behind the development of the trick. Plus the talent it takes to perform the "magic" without the trick being discovered.

Chaplin may have been right. I think only artist are truly qualified to answer that with how they feel.

When the average person tries to over analyze something, does it lose it's enjoyment for them?

CBOMB

Interesting to see how far the Russians got until the cash ran out. Amazing images and obviously inspired by the American program. Impressive as it had it's own awe.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/11/rare-photos-of-russian-buran-space.html

A true and compelling page that was ripped out of the Captain's Log of man's quest for Space. We sometimes talk about what it's like to have your project of many years compromised or cancelled, this would be a heartbreaking example, as when the USA Shuttle program was being scrapped, too much of this one had already been dismantled to come back in it's place. Tragic no matter who you are rooting for.

This was the first I heard of Buran.

lazyboy97o

Hmm. I'm not sure how that would even work. How does a boat of 16 people all see their (Blair-bie) "doll" they designed in the ride on monitors at once? Maybe they do a HM "mirror" and your doll "appears" in the boat with you and you have to buy it on the way out.
From what Jim Hill has been saying, for awhile before this recent leak, is that not everybody on the boat will participate. According to him only those who have booked an "X Pass" package will be able to participate.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
From what Jim Hill has been saying, for awhile before this recent leak, is that not everybody on the boat will participate. According to him only those who have booked an "X Pass" package will be able to participate.

I'm not sure how much of a "wow" it will be for all the effort.

WDW1974

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. I had dinner with Tony recently and there was nothing to indicate to me that he was planning on retiring anytime soon. I don't ask about confidential project stuff, we just swap Paris war stories. As for DCA, I missed the opening as I did not work on the project.

Thanks ... great news to hear Tony isn't getting shoved out the door soon.

I hope to run into him at some point ... seems like it's always at restrooms ... at WDW ... at DL ... at the Hollywood Bowl. I have no idea what that means, but it amuses some folks!:ROFLOL:

Speaking of Paris, are either of you planning on heading over for the 20th kickoff bash? I'm planning on getting there this year ... at some point not likely April. Would have been nice if they had gotten financing sooner for the new Ratatouille ride for the Studios park!

As to DCA, and this likely came up 6,543 posts ago, but when did you first go? And what were your impressions? Did you honestly expect it to be what it was? And to get the collective abuse it received? Do you think it was warranted?

Something you likely haven't discussed, what are your feelings about the Paramount-licensed park that was announced for Spain a while back. I've heard from someone close to the project that it could well rival TDS quality, but like all overseas park ventures I always wonder 1.) will it ever get built; and 2.) just how much is hyperbole?

WDW1974

I certainly cling to each and ever word you spew forth. I know you have amassed the greatest collection of Disney Executive's garbage can correspondence, and memorabilia in the world.

Thanks. I appreciate the fact you were my first minion of darkness and Disney destruction:fork::drevil::king:

And you'd be amazed at what the typical Disney P&R exec throws out in a week. Eddie could probably design a very cool B-Ticket just out of Phil Holmes' plastic products!

I'm also aware that you are getting close to the Guinness Book of World records title of the most coke consumed from a refillable mug purchased at the Wilderness Lodge in 1994.:ROFLOL:

I'd have that title too if it wasn't for you pesky kids ... oops, heading in a Scooby direction ... meant to say I'd have that title if I hadn't of packed the thing in a box for a move in 2009 that never happened. :eek::wave:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
As to DCA, and this likely came up 6,543 posts ago, but when did you first go? And what were your impressions? Did you honestly expect it to be what it was? And to get the collective abuse it received? Do you think it was warranted?

Something you likely haven't discussed, what are your feelings about the Paramount-licensed park that was announced for Spain a while back. I've heard from someone close to the project that it could well rival TDS quality, but like all overseas park ventures I always wonder 1.) will it ever get built; and 2.) just how much is hyperbole?

Lots of questions. Hmm. I am not planning to attend DLP April 12th anniversary. I don't handle Tony's travel ;-) but knowing him as I do, I can't imagine him not being there for a seminal event like that.

DCA.

During design, I was not a DCA fan (I did not think it went far enough to be Disney) and did not work on it. I tossed out some ideas but that was it. The park was creatively built on the business notion that you could get tourists to stay overnight and sub Disney's California for the real one up the 5 in Hollywood. It did not come from the drive to create the park that would compete or beat DL or the "next level". I liked the idea of doing wild design and creating an abstract of California, but IMHO it would have to be as art is, so unique it stood on it's own to defy comparison and the quality would have to be there. The management seemed to be trying to do the park as the Disney Stores were done, on the coattails of the company's reputation. After DLP, why in the world would you want to work on that? I was on TDL doing Pooh where they spent real money and did it right. At the time I thought it was risky to do something less next to DL, BUT it's all in the execution. Done well with a lush budget (as it's being done now) Paradise Pier could be very nice, and the GP Rapids was done to that level. DCA had some nice elements but would it come together? what would it feel like seeing those buildings? You want things to work, but like the Tomorrowland that was being done at the same time, the money was unreasonably tight. You have to stop at some point as you can only do so much with a budget.

I think I went down there the first week or something and it struck me that emotionally something was very off. I felt like I was still in the parking lot. Some areas were really well done while others were at the execution level of A Marriot's Great America type park. The lack of immersion (seeing high rises) killed any escape I could have felt. I had friends that gave their heart and soul to that project and made a lot happen for the tiny budgets they were given too. It wasn't enough. DCA's flaws weren't something you could easily design your way out of, there was little or no Disney soul. No escape. If it was a Six Flags it would have been their best, but next to DL? A let down. The real California was more outrageous and interesting than what was there. I felt that they over promised and under delivered, despite the fact that there were many good things and pretty elements within the park. The Eureka parade confirmed that the theme was just not working.

Paramount in Spain

I have no knowledge to base this on, but would be surprised if anything Paramount would do could rival TDS. It takes guts to spend that much and the experience to be that confident. I wonder if OLC would spend that much again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom