Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do not read much about these programs, but I have always gotten the idea that those accommodations are mediocre at best.

Oh absolutely they're not very good, I'm just saying that the idea of having no retirees is already present for "residences" of some CM's

WDW1974

Just have a question/topic for Eddie (and may not have much time to respond since travel to your coast is in my future but have been meaning to ask this for a while).

What do you think about the watering down (Walmarting to me) of theme in many of Disney's parks?

If Fantasyland was always supposed to be home for the characters, does it muddy the waters when toons get placed anywhere? Is something lost when you can buy Thor toys at EPCOT's Norway pavilion or Spidey merchandise at HKDL's Fantasyland shops? When Main Street became (at MK at least) a giant World of Disney outlet with now meaningless facades on the outside?

I'm going one place with this to simplify things (and not rant too much). Do you think Disney has become too obsessed with shoving the Disney BRAND down the throats of park vistors vs. transporting them to other times and places etc?

In comparison UNI took a very different approach with WWoHP in everything from merchandise to food and beverage and has, obviously, been hugely successful by being true to a sense of time and place.

I honestly have no idea where I am supposed to be when at the MK these days as all lands seem themed to Disney.

As a designer/artist, I'm curious as to your take.

~Would work well as part of a book too!~

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Just have a question/topic for Eddie (and may not have much time to respond since travel to your coast is in my future but have been meaning to ask this for a while).

What do you think about the watering down (Walmarting to me) of theme in many of Disney's parks?

If Fantasyland was always supposed to be home for the characters, does it muddy the waters when toons get placed anywhere? Is something lost when you can buy Thor toys at EPCOT's Norway pavilion or Spidey merchandise at HKDL's Fantasyland shops? When Main Street became (at MK at least) a giant World of Disney outlet with now meaningless facades on the outside?

I'm going one place with this to simplify things (and not rant too much). Do you think Disney has become too obsessed with shoving the Disney BRAND down the throats of park vistors vs. transporting them to other times and places etc?

In comparison UNI took a very different approach with WWoHP in everything from merchandise to food and beverage and has, obviously, been hugely successful by being true to a sense of time and place.

I honestly have no idea where I am supposed to be when at the MK these days as all lands seem themed to Disney.

As a designer/artist, I'm curious as to your take.

~Would work well as part of a book too!~

To me, themes work best when they are seamless,rich and clear. WWHP is like that, the deeper you go the more it delivers. WWHP is also aspirational and guests dream of going there and role playing it. Drink the Beer, buy the wand, etc. Not all the lands have that level of appeal anymore, so it's tougher. When you put characters everywhere, it runs the risk of diluting the reality that some of the lands are trying to achieve and weakens the power of Fantasyland. IMO. While Woody makes Frontierland great for little kids, it makes it juvenile for teens. I've seen my own 13 year olds react this way at the parks. It's get to feel homogenized when all you see are characters. Discordant or redundant character merchandise erodes the themed lands too. I'm a traditionalist at heart and yet the company shifted into this logic many years ago. I worked on "Aladdin's Oasis", so there you go. We kept the characters inside the facility and kept the exterior realistic to the land. Punt.

dagobert

First I have to be off topic. Thanks for the answers concerning the problems with my earlier post. I think I did quote other comments and it seem that was the mistake.

Now back on topic.

I don't like Disney's new way of adding the Disney brand on everything. I haven't been to a Disney park for two years now, but back in 2010 I hated to see Marvel merchandise in the Main Street shops of Disneyland Paris.

Like WDW1974 said, the Emporium in DLP also turned into a giant World of Disney outlet. Finally Disneyland Paris is getting its own WoD Store in the Disney Village. It's really sad that this shop is the most exciting new addition at DLRP since Tower of Terror for me. And it's the only new addition to the resort for it's 20th birthday. The whole merchandise DLRP offers can be found in every store throughout the parks. Only a few items are limited to special shops. By the way the merchandise found at DLRP is not worth the money and the selection is pretty bad. It's just about the Disney toons. If I'm not mistaken, Disneyland Paris is now also starting to use the DisneyParks brand instead of its own.

Unfortunately in recent years Disney was and still is only about synergy. Nearly every new attraction is linked to a Pixar movie or other Disney characters. I really miss the original rides with a strong story. For example two years ago Toy Story Playland opened at the Walt Disney Studios Park. The land consists of three carnival rides which can be found in every local amusement park and the theme is really not appropriate for a studios park. What has Andy's backyard to do with a movie studio theme. I think it was just build to use the release of Toy Story 3 to get more attention for the park.

dagobert

First I have to be off topic. Thanks for the answers concerning the problems with my earlier post. I think I did quote other comments and it seem that was the mistake. Hopefully it works now.

dagobert

I'm very sorry for being off topic again, but my on topic post just doesn't work, although I didn't quote someone. Maybe it was too long.

How many posts do I need to comment without any problems?

Thanks a lot for your help!

jt04

Hey Eddie, I know you are all about Apple but you should check the Bing home page today. I think you will be pleased.

lazyboy97o

While Woody makes Frontierland great for little kids, it makes it juvenile for teens. I've seen my own 13 year olds react this way at the parks. It's get to feel homogenized when all you see are characters.
With human characters such as Woody I do not think there would be such a discordance if Disney did not insist on using foam heads. Who was the last [new] human cartoon character to appear as a face character? Sheriff Woody makes a lot more sense in Frontierland than a giant toy that is breaking the rules by walking in front of us but refusing to talk. I think it would be a lot of fun to see and/or speak with the brash, just a bit egotistical Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger. Yes, some kids at first may be confused why they do not know who Andy is, but that is why you hire good actors who commit to the show.

dagobert

I don't like to see Woody in Frontierland, especially not at Disneyland Paris. The whole land has a theme that revolves around the town of Thunder Mesa, the Phantom Manor and the gold mine in Big Thunder Mountain. There is no place for a Disney character.

dagobert

Let's try it again, since my last post didn't appear.

I don't like to see Woody in Frontiersland, especially not at Disneyland Paris, since the theme of the land revolves around the town of Thunder Mesa, Phantom Manor and the gold mine in Big Thunder Mt. There is no place for a Disney character.

I'm glad Disney removed the Woody photolocation and I hope it will not return. Disney should put Woody into TSPL in WDSP.

MarkTwain

With human characters such as Woody I do not think there would be such a discordance if Disney did not insist on using foam heads. Who was the last [new] human cartoon character to appear as a face character? Sheriff Woody makes a lot more sense in Frontierland than a giant toy that is breaking the rules by walking in front of us but refusing to talk. I think it would be a lot of fun to see and/or speak with the brash, just a bit egotistical Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger. Yes, some kids at first may be confused why they do not know who Andy is, but that is why you hire good actors who commit to the show.

I've often thought that as well. A live-action sheriff Woody face character, playing the role of the human that the doll depicts, might actually be an interesting addition to Frontierland's atmosphere, and would provide more interaction to kids wanting to meet Woody.

dagobert

I've often thought that as well. A live-action sheriff Woody face character, playing the role of the human that the doll depicts, might actually be an interesting addition to Frontierland's atmosphere, and would provide more interaction to kids wanting to meet Woody.

If Disney wants to use face characters then they should do that from the first time the character is introduced. It's strange to see a face character after meeting the rubberhead characters. DLP introduced new face characters for shows. It makes sense since the characters need to talk during the shows, but it took me some time to get used to the new face characters.

HMF

Well, between the "lets turn It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean and now the whole park with "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" into games of Character hide and seek" mentality and of course the recent removal of Walt's name from the Movie studio's title cards. I don't like the direction things are going and am re-assessing my career aspirations.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
First I have to be off topic. Thanks for the answers concerning the problems with my earlier post. I think I did quote other comments and it seem that was the mistake.

Now back on topic.

I don't like Disney's new way of adding the Disney brand on everything. I haven't been to a Disney park for two years now, but back in 2010 I hated to see Marvel merchandise in the Main Street shops of Disneyland Paris.

Like WDW1974 said, the Emporium in DLP also turned into a giant World of Disney outlet. Finally Disneyland Paris is getting its own WoD Store in the Disney Village. It's really sad that this shop is the most exciting new addition at DLRP since Tower of Terror for me. And it's the only new addition to the resort for it's 20th birthday. The whole merchandise DLRP offers can be found in every store throughout the parks. Only a few items are limited to special shops. By the way the merchandise found at DLRP is not worth the money and the selection is pretty bad. It's just about the Disney toons. If I'm not mistaken, Disneyland Paris is now also starting to use the DisneyParks brand instead of its own.

Unfortunately in recent years Disney was and still is only about synergy. Nearly every new attraction is linked to a Pixar movie or other Disney characters. I really miss the original rides with a strong story. For example two years ago Toy Story Playland opened at the Walt Disney Studios Park. The land consists of three carnival rides which can be found in every local amusement park and the theme is really not appropriate for a studios park. What has Andy's backyard to do with a movie studio theme. I think it was just build to use the release of Toy Story 3 to get more attention for the park.

If that is true, it is insane. Being able to have "Disneyland Paris" on a shirt is a huge deal. The value of PARIS as a brand in of itself is huge. Can your imagine Parisian T-Shirt vendors dumping the word "Paris" from their sweatshirts to make them all say "European Cities"?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Disneyland used to have "Sheriff Lucky" shooting it out with "Black Bart", both live characters.

jt04

Disneyland used to have "Sheriff Lucky" shooting it out with "Black Bart", both live characters.

In case you just could not force yourself to visit the Bing hompage I posted the pic to my avatar. Amazing architecture and theming.

I know you have connections within Disney. They would be crazy to go forward with what I assume they think is a clever 'joke' on an upcoming episode of one of their primetime line-up shows. The networks are not in trouble because the American people are "not sophisticated enough" for cutting edge humor. No, the networks are in trouble because the pop culture has become paralyzed because they have eliminated the inspired from their midst for the most part.

Appreciate all you contribute here but if Iger does not intervene I won't be able to stomach associating with anything Disney related going forward. I will advise others to do the same. Just wanted too say that on my way out the door. Some day I will be in LA again and I will definetly stop in and try to catch you at Rivera. Thanks again. :wave:

Adios. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom