Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The largest physical hurtle is reducing the air resistance on the vehicles so they can achieve high velocities. He plans to "pump" the air through the vehicles to do this but will he still be able to keep this passing air below the Kantrowitz limit that he cites? The air would have to be pumped at velocities greater than those of the vehicles since it would be basically going through a funnel.

That's the best I can do with my physics hat on. :cool: Perhaps a leisurely PeopleMover ride is the better way to go.

At least he knew enough to address it!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Are people going to tolerate being sealed into a fairly confined tube for a full half hour? Is this type of transit system going to be perceived as an elegant way to travel or just better than taking a bus? And I am sure there will be those who wonder if they will be able to order a mini-cocktail in transit.

Very intriguing overall idea though. If anything it will get people thinking and a lot can come out of that.

They do in the Chunnel and it's because, like most successful inventions it does something really useful, really fast! At first it will be THE thing to do and eventually you have someone slinging beer nuts in those tiny packets.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Thanks for sharing these stories!! I loved reading them. It seems unusual that there would be a doorway between a shop and an attraction. Perhaps it's because they expanded the Character Shop into the ATIS post show area? Is this something you would just do off hours or would it be possible to get in to the ride during operation? I can imagine a lot of staff would want to get a peak inside there.
Given that DL is such a small park, space comes at a premium. So the various maintenance entrances and emergency exits to attraction show buildings are sometimes in places you wouldn't expect.

Character Shop's back entrance was a long hallway that ran alongside ATIS. There was an entrance at the end of that hallway that led into the maintenance area for ATIS vehicles that were taken offline for repair, near the scene with all of the molecules frozen in a grid pattern stretching into infinity. It was a very simple effect only about five feet deep, with the molecule models hanging by filament between a large mirror behind them and a partially transparent mirror in front of them. However, the effect supposedly didn't work if the mirrors were dusty and dirty. So, they needed to be cleaned from time to time, and that's how I got to see it up close, during janitorial maintenance.

The Mighty Microscope scene was close to the ride's exit, which was next to the Character Shop's annex, built years after the ride opened. The door into that scene was in a small storage room off the main part of the shop's back storage area. One of my leads said when the annex didn't exist and a wall separated the shop from the Monsanto display area at the ride's exit, that small storage area could only be accessed from the ride's exit area, and was used by the cast members as a break room or for holding supplies for the product displays.

OH! That's another question for Tony! He worked at ATIS as a TL Attractions Host before joining WED.

Hey, Eddie! YOO! HOO!

Would you please ask Tony if he remembers a small room off the display floor with a second door into the final scene near the Mighty Microscope? I'd really like to know after all of these years whether or not "Bob" knew what the heck he was talking about. (Like Tony, Bob was a lifer who got to chat with Walt one day while working in the park. Whoa. That must have been awesome. I met Ron Miller once and barely remember the experience. :p)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Given that DL is such a small park, space comes at a premium. So the various maintenance entrances and emergency exits to attraction show buildings are sometimes in places you wouldn't expect.

Character Shop's back entrance was a long hallway that ran alongside ATIS. There was an entrance at the end of that hallway that led into the maintenance area for ATIS vehicles that were taken offline for repair, near the scene with all of the molecules frozen in a grid pattern stretching into infinity. It was a very simple effect only about five feet deep, with the molecule models hanging by filament between a large mirror behind them and a partially transparent mirror in front of them. However, the effect supposedly didn't work if the mirrors were dusty and dirty. So, they needed to be cleaned from time to time, and that's how I got to see it up close, during janitorial maintenance.

The Mighty Microscope scene was close to the ride's exit, which was next to the Character Shop's annex, built years after the ride opened. The door into that scene was in a small storage room off the main part of the shop's back storage area. One of my leads said when the annex didn't exist and a wall separated the shop from the Monsanto display area at the ride's exit, that small storage area could only be accessed from the ride's exit area, and was used by the cast members as a break room or for holding supplies for the product displays.

OH! That's another question for Tony! He worked at ATIS as a TL Attractions Host before joining WED.

Hey, Eddie! YOO! HOO!

Would you please ask Tony if he remembers a small room off the display floor with a second door into the final scene near the Mighty Microscope? I'd really like to know after all of these years whether or not "Bob" knew what the heck he was talking about. (Like Tony, Bob was a lifer who got to chat with Walt one day while working in the park. Whoa. That must have been awesome. I met Ron Miller once and barely remember the experience. :p)

Love these stories..Did you know a 55er named Earl Archer who ended his career on ATIS or "Arthur"?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
08-12-13-IMG_3118.jpg

Interesting picture....It's funny how Tony is flanked by Figment and Dreamfinder... and Bob Iger is flanked by Darth Vader! (Bob Iger is not "evil" BTW), so the more I think about it, the more it seems that someone did this consciously. What an odd choice, Darth and Dreamfinder? Me thinks it's an inside prank..Too obvious to be a gaffe.

Last edited:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Picks up white courtesy phone...Will do BSDB...Will ask ASAP.

Omnispace

Hey, Eddie! YOO! HOO!

Thanks!!! I remember the rows of "fuzzy spheres". I seem to remember them moving or jiggling a bit but that might just be my faulty memory. Also, does anyone know about the eye looking down at you through the microscope -- did it move at all?? ..or was that just an illusion as one passed under it?? I'll admit that the narration on ATIS was almost too dramatic to be taken seriously but it was such a noisy ride that a lot of time one couldn't hear it clearly anyway. I mostly remember the attraction being a cacophony of sounds and a very dramatic ride path through these amazing sets and effects and the narration adding a sense of dramatic tension. If some of that crazy experience could be recreated today I'd ride it in a minute.

inside-crystal02.jpg

Last edited:

Omnispace

They do in the Chunnel and it's because, like most successful inventions it does something really useful, really fast! At first it will be THE thing to do and eventually you have someone slinging beer nuts in those tiny packets.

I was thinking more about the confined cars that people would ride in. I would need three of those little cocktails to stay relaxed... ;)

hyperloop_capsule_cutaway-380x230.jpg

Last edited:

Omnispace

Interesting picture....It's funny how Tony is flanked by Figment and Dreamfinder... and Bob Iger is flanked by Darth Vader!

Exactly! It may just have been coincidence but I'm not sure I would want to be posing for a photo op next to Darth Vader unless he's giving the "hang loose" sign.

tumblr_m28srdXBlZ1qa4v6qo1_500.png

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Spoke with Tony today and he feels that there was a door to the Microscope scene, maybe even a small hatch at one time leading into the show, but never really went exploring the ride, so he did not have much more than that. He also mentioned that there was a Monsanto sponsor apartment/lounge in there at one time too that later became a break area. I remember visiting there and going inside as a kid. The Monsanto Rep gave me a ATIS patch that the sales force had. He did not recall the "two girls" story however.

BTW- Tony did not look that much different at lunch now that he is a true Disney legend :)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Here's a nice recap on Tony for those of you who don't know how he got to where he is. I like the fact that Maxine Merlino, the Dean of Arts saw his talent, leveraged his passions and let him pursue his dream rather than force him to do something that was not a part of his imagined career path. She saw rides as theater. Awesome. He could have been forced to make a model of an Opera or something. I'm sure he would have done a masterpiece, but a soulless one. When passion happens,things ignite. She knew that. If you look at how he developed rides to present as a means of getting a job, that shift in focus was a critical part of his career trajectory.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/unca...ter-on-his-decades-shaping-disneyland-design/

My own career story was atypical too, as there was no place to get a formal education of any kind in the design of theme parks in 1977.

BlueSkyDriveBy

My own career story was atypical too...
Seems only fitting, for the kind of designer you've turned out to be.

Having a lack of formal educational training forced you to be more resourceful in finding what you needed. It required you to think outside the box to become who you are. These are the lifetime experiences which define us as problem solvers, deliberately putting ourselves in those MacGyver moments and seeing what sticks and what doesn't.

I doubt you would have become such an imaginative and unorthodox Imagineer had there been a degree path specifically tailored for theme park design.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Thanks!!! I remember the rows of "fuzzy spheres". I seem to remember them moving or jiggling a bit but that might just be my faulty memory.
There was slight movement to the spheres, which might have been done with air flow; I'm not sure. They were lightweight plastic models on filament, so I'm guessing simple air flow made them move.

Also, does anyone know about the eye looking down at you through the microscope -- did it move at all?? ..or was that just an illusion as one passed under it??
Yup. The eye moved, in a very robotic unnatural fashion. Basically creeped me out. I hated it.

lazyboy97o

Seems only fitting, for the kind of designer you've turned out to be.

Having a lack of formal educational training forced you to be more resourceful in finding what you needed. It required you to think outside the box to become who you are. These are the lifetime experiences which define us as problem solvers, deliberately putting ourselves in those MacGyver moments and seeing what sticks and what doesn't.

I doubt you would have become such an imaginative and unorthodox Imagineer had there been a degree path specifically tailored for theme park design.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with these schools that are starting to offer such degree paths. Will they work in a field where so many are self taught or have unrelated degrees?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom