Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I've said this before, but the free ranging vehicle system has such limitless possibilities. The biggest is that it breaks the equation of having to have the length of track equal speed and trip time. If you put them all in one big arena they can roam it, killing time without eating up more space. then they roam into another room or arena and the next group enters the one they have left. You can have high capacity if the premise is that guests can see each other. A roller coaster has to eat track and the faster it goes the more track it eats and the more it land it uses and of course, the more it all costs.

Pixiedustmaker

I've said this before, but the free ranging vehicle system has such limitless possibilities. The biggest is that it breaks the equation of having to have the length of track equal speed and trip time. If you put them all in one big arena they can roam it, killing time without eating up more space. then they roam into another room or arena and the next group enters the one they have left. You can have high capacity if the premise is that guests can see each other. A roller coaster has to eat track and the faster it goes the more track it eats and the more it land it uses and of course, the more it all costs.

I would think that the free ranging system would also allow for the vehicle to break off at a fork and experience parallel ride paths which may, or may not, be identical, hence increasing the ride capacity, and maybe re-rideability if you have two different set of scenes.

It could even be part of the show, like Eddie's idea for a Haunted Mansion trackless ride system where guests are one by one pulled back away from the dining table. For example, you could have a Brave ride where the guests climb aboard ride vehicles in the royal hall at Merida's castle. Some ride vehicles go off on an adventure with the three twins, one with Merida, one follow the willow wisps and encounter the witch . . . and the rest of the vehicle loitter watching an animatronic king give a speech while they wait to head off on an adventure.

It would cost more money, but not necessarily double for an parallel adventure as you're already building a showbuilding . . . plus the rider would never need to go down as you could refurb one "track" and keep the rest of the ride open.

Personally, I like the fact that while you might wait 30-40 minutes to ride Peter Pan, Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White or Alice, once you're on the ride you leave the other guests/outside world behind and embark on your own adventure, with family friends, not strangers.

Sure, on Pirates, Haunted Mansion there are other guests, but its often dark enough that you can tune them out if you want.

Small World works with being able to see other guests as the ride is about the whole world coming together and community.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I would think that the free ranging system would also allow for the vehicle to break off at a fork and experience parallel ride paths which may, or may not, be identical, hence increasing the ride capacity, and maybe re-rideability if you have two different set of scenes.

It could even be part of the show, like Eddie's idea for a Haunted Mansion trackless ride system where guests are one by one pulled back away from the dining table. For example, you could have a Brave ride where the guests climb aboard ride vehicles in the royal hall at Merida's castle. Some ride vehicles go off on an adventure with the three twins, one with Merida, one follow the willow wisps and encounter the witch . . . and the rest of the vehicle loitter watching an animatronic king give a speech while they wait to head off on an adventure.

It would cost more money, but not necessarily double for an parallel adventure as you're already building a showbuilding . . . plus the rider would never need to go down as you could refurb one "track" and keep the rest of the ride open.

Personally, I like the fact that while you might wait 30-40 minutes to ride Peter Pan, Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White or Alice, once you're on the ride you leave the other guests/outside world behind and embark on your own adventure, with family friends, not strangers.

Sure, on Pirates, Haunted Mansion there are other guests, but its often dark enough that you can tune them out if you want.

Small World works with being able to see other guests as the ride is about the whole world coming together and community.

You are beginning to see all of the potential of a system like this. It was "game changer" a decade ago and still has the means to be a unique experience.

Pixiedustmaker

More on Mystic Manor...and a positive review at that. More video too. The Restaurant looks great from the outside, but have not seen interior shots yet.

http://micechat.com/27171-mystic-manor-knocks-it-out-of-the-park/

The restaurant exterior certainly is very solid looking, almost majestic. Disney and More has an interior shot.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-about-hkdl-mystic-point-and-mystic.html

Mystic-Manor-Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Mystic-Point-Haunted-Mansion12.jpeg:original

This is just one dining area, but I was figuring there would've been more decorations. I believe it is counter service as they've got food samples in plastic boxes out front.

There is more to see, a blurb from a Disney website:

"The Explorer’s Club Restaurant is divided into five themed room offering 16 special dishes. Guests can admire the themed décor as they savor the wide array of delicacies."

Here's from Mouse Info:

After visiting Mystic Manor, Guests can dine in the Explorer’s Club Restaurant – a 500-seat restaurant celebrating the globetrotting exploits of Lord Henry and the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (S.E.A.). The restaurant has five themed dining areas where Guests are invited to dine in rooms that reflect cultures and styles of exotic locations, including Egypt, Russia, Morocco, India and China. A diverse range of cuisines with popular dishes from Indonesia, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia are served, including dishes which are making their first appearances in the Park, such as Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup, Sautéed Rice Cake with Cabbage and Korean Chili Sauce, Shabu Shabu with Mixed Vegetables, and more. To add even more wonder to this mysterious adventure, don’t miss the newly introduced special beverage Blueberry Myst.

Pixiedustmaker

I'm kinda interested with the stage they built which is dressed a train depot:

Mystic-Point-Gardens-of-Wonder-Depot-610x406.jpeg

As far as I know, the Hong Kong Disneyland railroad just has two stops, Main Street and Fantasyland.

Because the train runs between the Jungle Cruise river and the Explorer's Club restaurant, I figure that WDI didn't put Mystic Point's restaurant close to the river because of soot from the train, but I recently heard that HK's railroad is electric!

Wouldn't it be cool to have an Adventureland combination train station and restaurant? If anything, it would sure give something for guests to look at while they eat: the river and the train.

lazyboy97o

I think the problem with the expansion and a new train station is that the cars all face inside the berm. With so much of the park now existing outside the berm, I think Hong Kong Disneyland should look into cars that enable views both inside and outside the berm.

dhall

Have not seen it. They left out all the finance meetings and political intrigue!
I've looked at the game and the big thing that it's missing for me is guests -- i haven't seen a single picture of a human in any of their screenshots or the one or two videos I watched. I'll ride each of the tracked rides in an RCT3 park when I'm done, but I like watching the peeps use the park.

To me, the coaster designer & flat ride designer are also way too much: RCT's standardized pieces area lot easier to use & understand, with a lot less potential for blank page syndrome.

They could address most of RCT's graphical limitations just by putting it on a hex grid and allow the pieces to run from either sides or corners -- instead of 4 degress of rotation, they'd get 12. If they'd just fix that and fix the peep AI so that peeps spend most their time riding rides in stead of waiting for party members (seriously -- most of the peeps are in parties that split up on every ride -- 3 of the 4 will wait for the 1 that's riding something)

Pixiedustmaker

Jim Hill has an article on Potterland 2.0.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...harry-potter-at-universal-orlando-resort.aspx

Looks pretty amazing. The idea of getting on the train and ending up somewhere else completely, i.e. a different theme park, is pretty cool, though I wonder how many of Uni's guests will exit the wrong park forgetting where their car is.

The expansion looks much bigger than Hogwartz, kinda feels like its on the scale of Disney Seas or something like that:

3771.Alley_2D00_9.jpg

Knothead

Universal Studios and IOA share the same parking garage(s), so finding your car shouldn't be more of an issue than it already is. I also snapped a few photos of the elevated track under construction if anyone is interested, but not sure if this is the right place for them.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Eddie, since I know you had planned for Paris Main St. to be a 1920's period piece, are you looking forward to the new movie take on "The Great Gatsby"?

The previews make it look like a super glamorous version of reality...so I'm hoping its good.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, since I know you had planned for Paris Main St. to be a 1920's period piece, are you looking forward to the new movie take on "The Great Gatsby"?

The previews make it look like a super glamorous version of reality...so I'm hoping its good.

I appreciate the 1920's period and the art direction looks pretty good in the previews. Not sure about the film itself. In some ways it looks like kids playing dress up. Let me know what you think.

Patrick_Ears

Ediie, first off first time writing to ya and Thank You for what you had brought us. My questions is have we seen the best that Disney can give us? I know this may have been asked before, but what are your true feelings. Is it something Disney is not seeing yet? I feel they do a awesome job of what magic they give us and back to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom