Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Californian Elitist

Pretty much describes Los Angeles in general according to some. Heh.

Sad to hear that. Hopefully Disney Springs will have more heart and soul. Just learned that a new stadium and convention space are likely for LA Live. I would guess that would mean some sort of big event just about everyday of the year. Taking the concept of a lifestyle center to a whole new level. Looks amazing to me. Very amazing.

Aren't you located nearby? Seems like Rivera would be located perfectly if the stadium and convention center happen.

Such a complex would definitely be worth finding a reason to visit.

LA Live has no soul because there's almost nothing to do. Just eateries pretty much.

The new football stadium would be for a football team, not LA Live. The convention center, which has been there for years, isn't for LA Live either. And it's going to be hell if this happens.

You want to talk about a new level of living in LA? Check this out:

http://www.archdaily.com/339145/the-west-coasts-tallest-wilshire-grand-ac-martin-partners/

jt04

LA Live has no soul because there's almost nothing to do. Just eateries pretty.

The new football stadium would be for a football team, not LA Live. The convention center, which has been there for years, isn't for LA Live either.

http://www.archdaily.com/339145/the-west-coasts-tallest-wilshire-grand-ac-martin-partners/

My understanding is new convention space will be built next to the stadium. The stadium will also host soccer and possibly annual hockey event. Also it would likely get a Super Bowl and annual College Bowl game(s). Plus it could also host stadium concerts. And many other events. Plus you have Lakers playing next door 41 times a year and other venues. Video claimed the new convention space would have the largest ballroom in the world. That would bring Auto shows, and maybe Comic Con. I am impressed. But I will check out the link also.

Genie of the Lamp

LA Live has no soul because there's almost nothing to do. Just eateries pretty.

The new football stadium would be for a football team, not LA Live. The convention center, which has been there for years, isn't for LA Live either. And it's going to be hell if this happens.

Wow, that's sick/awesome. Sucks that it will be a congested area once all said in done. Of course, when is LA never congested?;) Of course, I live in PIT so where I come from, something of this magnitude would never be considered. That sky lounge sounds pretty cool to me. What kind of prices do you think they'll charge for people staying here? Have they started prepping the area yet where this place is going?

Californian Elitist

My understanding is new convention space will be built next to the stadium. The stadium will also host soccer and possibly annual hockey event. Also it would likely get a Super Bowl and annual College Bowl game(s). Plus it could also host stadium concerts. And many other events. Plus you have Lakers playing next door 41 times a year and other venues. Video claimed the new convention space would have the largest ballroom in the world. That would bring Auto shows, and maybe Comic Con. I am impressed. But I will check out the link also.

Yeah it's impressive but that area is already crowded. With the convention center, the possible football stadium, the LA Dodgers stadium, the Nokia Theater, the Staples Center and the possibility of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim relocating to that area, life isn't going to be as fun for us Angelenos.

lazyboy97o

Yeah it's impressive but that area is already crowded. With the convention center, the possible football stadium, the LA Dodgers stadium, the Nokia Theater, the Staples Center and the possibility of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim relocating to that area, life isn't going to be as fun for us Angelenos.
That just sounds like an urban disaster. Too many large scale, limited use, limited access facilities serving a transient population.

Californian Elitist

Wow, that's sick/awesome. Sucks that it will be a congested area once all said in done. Of course, when is LA never congested?;) Of course, I live in PIT so where I come from, something of this magnitude would never be considered. That sky lounge sounds pretty cool to me. What kind of prices do you think they'll charge for people staying here? Have they started prepping the area yet where this place is going?

Right? Los Angeles City is never not crowded, but there are cities in LA County that are pretty peaceful. I'd love to live in a small town/state for a month or two just to see what it's like not to live in a big city.

For a hotel like that, I'm thinking at least $400 a night. I can't see it being any less than 400, but it could happen. I'm thinking at least $400, with the max reaching from $700 to a couple of thousand dollars a night. Considering its location and all the other amenities being included.

Californian Elitist

That just sounds like an urban disaster. Too many large scale, limited use, limited access facilities serving a transient population.

Exactly. Also the University of Southern California (USC), which is only a few miles from Downtown LA, is building a new shopping center, with a grocery store, a fire station, shops, a movie theater and student housing. While this is a good thing because the USC shopping center is seriously outdated, it's going to be a nightmare.

New shopping center (The Village):

6a01053648ae5c970b0133f20b7502970b-500wi.jpeg

4679845230_268bab8e1b.jpg

Screen_Shot_2011-10-21_at_4.17_.26_PM_.png

Let's not forget all the apartments and hotels that keep popping up. Los Angeles doesn't try to get rid of all the people living here. Instead they welcome everyone and just keep making room. It's getting out of hand.

jt04

Baseball also being added seems a bit much. Too many conflicting events. The football stadium seems to be pushing it but Farmers is a quality sponsor. I think it could work.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Also the University of Southern California (USC), which is only a few miles from Downtown LA, is building a new shopping center, with a grocery store, a fire station, shops, a movie theater and student housing. While this is a good thing because the USC shopping center is seriously outdated, it's going to be a nightmare.

Let's not forget all the apartments and hotels that keep popping up. Los Angeles doesn't try to get rid of all the people living here. Instead they welcome everyone and just keep making room. It's getting out of hand.
See, I think the density is a good thing. That's my issue with what you described with the stadiums and convention space, the extreme lack of permanent density.

Taylor

Baseball also being added seems a bit much. Too many conflicting events. The football stadium seems to be pushing it but Farmers is a quality sponsor. I think it could work.
Need a team first. And with college bowl games beginning to go away looks like a Super Bowl would be the only game played there. I would get a team in place then build the multi-million dollar stadium makes sense to me

Cosmic Commando

Right? Los Angeles City is never not crowded, but there are cities in LA County that are pretty peaceful. I'd love to live in a small town/state for a month or two just to see what it's like not to live in a big city.

For a hotel like that, I'm thinking at least $400 a night. I can't see it being any less than 400, but it could happen. I'm thinking at least $400, with the max reaching from $700 to a couple of thousand dollars a night. Considering its location and all the other amenities being included.
There are lots of small towns across the USA, but none of them have Disneyland next door! ;)

jt04

Need a team first. And with college bowl games beginning to go away looks like a Super Bowl would be the only game played there. I would get a team in place then build the multi-million dollar stadium makes sense to me

I believe LA has essentially been guaranteed a team whether by relocation or expansion by the NFL. The only requirement is a modern stadium. The NFL is desperate to get back into that television market.

College bowl games are not going away, some will be used as vehicles for a small "playoff" system (4 teams?) but the others will remain for the most part. I would not be surprised if the Rose Bowl game moved to this new stadium. Likely one of the venues used for the playoff system. At least on a rotational basis. I wouldn't even be surprised if USC or even UCLA started playing their games there too.

Taylor

I believe LA has essentially been guaranteed a team whether by relocation or expansion by the NFL. The only requirement is a modern stadium. The NFL is desperate to get back into that television market.

College bowl games are not going away, some will be used as vehicles for a small "playoff" system (4 teams?) but the others will remain for the most part. I would not be surprised if the Rose Bowl game moved to this new stadium. Likely one of the venues used for the playoff system. At least on a rotational basis. I wouldn't even be surprised if USC or even UCLA started playing their games there too.
Just from the history standpoint I don't think the Big 10 and the PAC 12 will move the bowl it's basically up to them because its there game no matter that. You are right it will be the rosé bowl and the Champions Bowl as venues for the playoff semis. And I think if the NFL was desperate to be back in LA that they would've put a team there during expansion

jt04

Just from the history standpoint I don't think the Big 10 and the PAC 12 will move the bowl it's basically up to them because its there game no matter that. You are right it will be the rosé bowl and the Champions Bowl as venues for the playoff semis. And I think if the NFL was desperate to be back in LA that they would've put a team there during expansion

LA will be getting a franchise soon one way or another. Guaranteed.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Really? This is the first I've heard of this. Is all of this going near the pier and the Third Street Promenade area?
I saw a chart that showed all of the approved new construction in SM and there are expansisons to the Miramar Hotel, a high rise Frany Gehry designed Hotel on Ocean Ave (and more mixed use, etc and continued construction in the Water Garden area near Olympic and Cloverfield. The new train is supposed to bring 60K people a day into the area, so this was a study about increased traffic and the impact good and bad of light rail and bike lanes. I think it's a disaster as the traffic is already untenable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom